You can't make this stuff up....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Apparently our center failed some audit or neglected to properly file some meaningless paperwork last year, and to correct that oversight it was necessary this morning for the entire work group to sit thru a 5-minute PCM on....and I swear to God I'm not making this up...."Heat Stroke Awareness".

Thats right...75 drivers standing there for 5 minutes and listening to a "safety committee" member lecture us about the warning signs of heat exhaustion and the need to stay hydrated on hot days.

Its January. Its 39 degrees and pouring rain outside. The fog from our breath was visible in the unheated shop where we have our PCM's and everyone was wearing coats and gloves and stocking hats as we listened to this drivel.

It frightens me that we are actually paying a salary to the genius who would (a) take the time to audit which lectures our center was given last year and (b) decide that paying 75 drivers for 5 minutes apiece at the overtime rate to listen to a heatstroke lecture in January is a prudent fiscal decision.

Prickle

This is what UPS mgt has become, step on a dollar to pick up a dime!!! I am sure all of the drivers were busy thinking how dumb is this safety meeting instead of listening, but at least someone got to put a check mark on paper.

Re-Raise

Let me be the first to congratulate your management team on their heat stroke results for the week. Obviously refocusing the work group has had the desired effect.

Doughnut anyone?

Maybe they did it in January so you would be so shocked that it would be ridiculed and brought up for a long time. Nevermind that giving management to much credit there not that sharp.

Jim Kemp

We had the same pcm here. They wanted us to sign a log to show that we were there. I also thought it was an odd subject to be talking about in January and then to sign a log, very strange.

alwaysoverallowed

This was just a reminder to turn your heat off in the cab for 15 mins. every hr. as to not become dehydrated from the dry air. It's also a fuel saving measure for the trucks as we are trying to go green and not burn so many dinosaurs while we're trying to stay warm during our breaks at the end of the day.

P

pickup

What's next? A pcm next week on the potential pitfalls that can occur during halloween?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I long for those dehydration days. It was 0 when I got home! It was below that for the wind chill all day. Our pcm was of course about other accidents and injuries in our district, because of the inclement conditions. OOPS, no it was because we dont do something right.
No it does not matter that peak is over, and the peak numbers are still stuck in the brain of dispatch. Same number of stops - jumpers, and observations from hell.
Big brother is here. We can freeze our :censored2: off, but dont forget to grab that handrail, ( even tho, the snow is the same level as the step, )and look at your mirrors ever 5 to 8 seconds...even though you cannot see a thing when you do as they do never wash the trucks..............
Not complaining but sometimes when you look in the mirror......you realize the only one who really cares about your safety is YOU. The one trying to make it home every night,,,,the most important stop.

brownelf

we're starting 15 min early Monday for a building evacuation drill, why they do it in the winter when its 10' out is beyond me. Hope we don't have a slip and fall in the parking lot while we're doing the drill.

Nimnim

The Nim
we're starting 15 min early Monday for a building evacuation drill, why they do it in the winter when its 10' out is beyond me. Hope we don't have a slip and fall in the parking lot while we're doing the drill.

We did our drill a couple days ago. Perhaps they do it around the same time of year per corporate policy, dunno but it only sucks on nights it's raining here.

UPSGUY72

Apparently our center failed some audit or neglected to properly file some meaningless paperwork last year, and to correct that oversight it was necessary this morning for the entire work group to sit thru a 5-minute PCM on....and I swear to God I'm not making this up...."Heat Stroke Awareness".

Thats right...75 drivers standing there for 5 minutes and listening to a "safety committee" member lecture us about the warning signs of heat exhaustion and the need to stay hydrated on hot days.

Its January. Its 39 degrees and pouring rain outside. The fog from our breath was visible in the unheated shop where we have our PCM's and everyone was wearing coats and gloves and stocking hats as we listened to this drivel.

It frightens me that we are actually paying a salary to the genius who would (a) take the time to audit which lectures our center was given last year and (b) decide that paying 75 drivers for 5 minutes apiece at the overtime rate to listen to a heatstroke lecture in January is a prudent fiscal decision.

Don't worry in July you will get the PCM about frostbite.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We had the same pcm here. They wanted us to sign a log to show that we were there. I also thought it was an odd subject to be talking about in January and then to sign a log, very strange.

Art. 6, Sect. 1, pg. 15, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING!
If they want a signature, give them your union hall number.

Last edited:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
They are unreal arn't they !! We got hand outs on eating healthy and drinking cautions for watchin the God dam Super Bowl !! I started drinking heavy after the Pats got humilated last week !! where was UPS for me last Sunday ???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are unreal arn't they !! We got hand outs on eating healthy and drinking cautions for watchin the God dam Super Bowl !! I started drinking heavy after the Pats got humilated last week !! where was UPS for me last Sunday ???

Maybe UPS could have blocked better than the o-line did for Brady.

Cry me a river you had to drink it up Sunday. Try being from Cleveland and then you will need to drink. You have Brady, Bird, Boggs those damm Redsocks world series teams. friend an a three super bowls and like a dozen NBA championships. Plus you have hockey. I've got Jose Mesa Ernest Byner and don't let me forget Labron trader James. Thanks buddy now I'm going to start drinking right now!!!

Cry me a river you had to drink it up Sunday. Try being from Cleveland and then you will need to drink. You have Brady, Bird, Boggs those damm Redsocks world series teams. friend an a three super bowls and like a dozen NBA championships. Plus you have hockey. I've got Jose Mesa Ernest Byner and don't let me forget Labron trader James. Thanks buddy now I'm going to start drinking right now!!!

You`re only a five hour drive from Chicago. Come on over, we`ll take care of you.

DS

Fenderbender
Tickets to the game tomorrow a'int cheap!

NFC Championship Game Tickets: Green Bay Packers at Chicago Bears 1/23 1-23-2011
Sunday
2:00 PM Soldier Field in Chicago, IL $325 - $4350