You have until Friday to get over 200 pph or we'll decide this isn't a good fit for you

Distract3080

So I've been working as a package loader at Ceritos for about 20 days now, or a little over a work month. We need 400 pph, my supervisors admit 300 is more realistic, I have yet to get over 180. On Tuesday, my manager told me that unless I can get over 200 by friday than we'll decide it's not a good fit for me. And unfortunately, their unloading guys are fully staffed and aren't hiring right now, which I tried one day and it went much faster. Yesterday I was pulled from my station into smalls sort, which went well, so I'm assuming they'll give me until Monday to make up for the lost day. However, that was just because they needed help that particular day, though they MAY be hiring, not sure. Anyway, how screwed am I if I fail to make that goal of over 200? Especilly since he didn't explicitly say they'll fire me or let me go, even after I asked "so if I don't make it than you'll fire me?" "We'll decide this is not a good fit for you."

Box Handler of Dallas

If you're within your 30 working days, approximately 45 calendar days, UPS can let you go for almost any reason. Our contract does not recognize any UPS production quotas/numbers, so the PPH means absolutely nothing. Find yourself a steward.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
You have 70 days before you reach seniority.
How bad is staffing there? Do you get to work on time?
0882669D-705E-4AFA-B4A1-1D33E463ECB0.jpeg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So I've been working as a package loader at Ceritos for about 20 days now, or a little over a work month. We need 400 pph, my supervisors admit 300 is more realistic, I have yet to get over 180. On Tuesday, my manager told me that unless I can get over 200 by friday than we'll decide it's not a good fit for me. And unfortunately, their unloading guys are fully staffed and aren't hiring right now, which I tried one day and it went much faster. Yesterday I was pulled from my station into smalls sort, which went well, so I'm assuming they'll give me until Monday to make up for the lost day. However, that was just because they needed help that particular day, though they MAY be hiring, not sure. Anyway, how screwed am I if I fail to make that goal of over 200? Especilly since he didn't explicitly say they'll fire me or let me go, even after I asked "so if I don't make it than you'll fire me?" "We'll decide this is not a good fit for you."

I love it when they talk in code
Your mission if you choose to accept it is to break this code by any means necessary
Good Luck to You

takesteady

You showing up to work on time and putting in an effort? PPH is a metric management uses to intimidate/motivate/harass newer employees. It’s worthless in the sense that if you’re loading a trailer, you likely aren’t just scanning and loading the entire night . Depending on a lot of factors, you can be breaking jams, pushing down rollers, or power scanning. It’s easily gamed and management knows that.

Once you have seniority you can laugh it off, but until then just nod your head, keep your nose to the grindstone, and avoid drawing attention to yourself.

Good luck.

Brownwind

You’ll be fine if you keep busy and don’t run your mouth. Trust me if your breathing your in. Don’t steal time, promote the business and be safe while working. Getting hurt while in your probation period will definitely get you out the door.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Do the best you can and use all the methods they trained you with. If you already had seniority do what I used to do...

"Hey can you show me how???" That usually shuts them up.

but don't do that until you are in.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
All of above advice is true.
For now show up on time, sober and do your best.
Supermen aren't make in a day, it takes years.

Distract3080

Ok, new development: They sent me home early today because I wasn't keeping up with the packages. Today was like 40% teamlift heavy packages at like 70 lps each. I took into account that it's not counting when I log out of a trailer, so I took advantage of that when sliding the rollers or clearing jams. Going fast with the heavy packages and forgetting to put ice in my water made me feel like I was going to puke and die. The PPH: 168. Regarding coming on time, admittedly I was always maybe a tiny bit late but today I was there 20 minutes early to set up my stuff, only for it to end up disconnecting at work time. No, they're not gonna postpone the ultimatim to monday, manager said he moved me to smalls sort that day to see if it was a better fit (it wasn't, of course I wasn't amazing on my first day). HOWEVER, the safety trainer came in to give me a 45 days safe certificate and take my picture, and when I said this may be my last day because they said they'd fire me if I didn't make it to over 200, she told me to just keep working safely. Apparently the way they count days includes weekends. This is my fifth week on the floor. I'm hoping it's not my last. Today I'm gonna sleep at midnight instead of 3:30 AM (why yes, I DO have a problem, very keen observation). Than I'll get 10 hours of sleep. Show up 30 minutes early and not lose my waterbottle and make sure I'm 100% ready to roll at start time.

Distract3080

If you're within your 30 working days, approximately 45 calendar days, UPS can let you go for almost any reason. Our contract does not recognize any UPS production quotas/numbers, so the PPH means absolutely nothing. Find yourself a steward.
Well, I guess since I just got the 45 day certificate today, I can find a steward? I'm not exactly union yet, is this a union contract? How do I find a steward and how do I explain that our contract doesn't mention these quotas?

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Well, I guess since I just got the 45 day certificate today, I can find a steward? I'm not exactly union yet, is this a union contract? How do I find a steward and how do I explain that our contract doesn't mention these quotas?
Smile at management. Work as safely as you can for the rest of your time at UPS. Talk with another hourly union employee who has been working on your shift as to who is the steward on your shift. If you can’t figure it out look for a union bulletin board. This will have contact information for the union hall listed on the top of official postings. Call the hall and ask for the BA (business agent) that represents your location. Once you find out who your steward is let them discuss your performance or lack there of with management. The steward will probably chuckle at that idea. Assuming your covered under the National Master Agreement, Article 37 is a good thing to read up on. Hopefully by talking with your steward, attending meetings and reading the contract you will be able educate yourself on your rights a member your local. I’d also recommend downloading the UPS teamsters app onto your phone. Once set up it has searchable contracts listed that apply to you.

Ok, new development: They sent me home early today because I wasn't keeping up with the packages. Today was like 40% teamlift heavy packages at like 70 lps each. I took into account that it's not counting when I log out of a trailer, so I took advantage of that when sliding the rollers or clearing jams. Going fast with the heavy packages and forgetting to put ice in my water made me feel like I was going to puke and die. The PPH: 168. Regarding coming on time, admittedly I was always maybe a tiny bit late but today I was there 20 minutes early to set up my stuff, only for it to end up disconnecting at work time. No, they're not gonna postpone the ultimatim to monday, manager said he moved me to smalls sort that day to see if it was a better fit (it wasn't, of course I wasn't amazing on my first day). HOWEVER, the safety trainer came in to give me a 45 days safe certificate and take my picture, and when I said this may be my last day because they said they'd fire me if I didn't make it to over 200, she told me to just keep working safely. Apparently the way they count days includes weekends. This is my fifth week on the floor. I'm hoping it's not my last. Today I'm gonna sleep at midnight instead of 3:30 AM (why yes, I DO have a problem, very keen observation). Than I'll get 10 hours of sleep. Show up 30 minutes early and not lose my waterbottle and make sure I'm 100% ready to roll at start time.
We have 65 year old women who can qualify. Sure you are cut out for this job?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
what are they loading exactly? sounds like a masher on preload, or one of the heavy irreg trailers like the one we send to and from amazon. FYI the only safe speed loading that specific trailer is slower than a box of rocks, each package is a poorly wrapped irreg.

nWo

It's a scare tactic. The manager on the night shift has an inflated ego and a wife that cheats on him. He takes it out on you because he knows the long-term employees will tell him to shut it and bury him in harassment greviances.

This show up on time, put in a honest effort and don't let him get to you. He might be trying to bait you into saying something he can use against you.