2nd job

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by BrownJake, Nov 2, 2015.

1. BrownJake

BrownJake BrownPower

What jobs did you all do while waiting for a FT position to open up within UPS that allowed you to work the odd hours but still supported your families? Just wanting some input.. Negative comments can stay out please.
  2. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

none. I worked more hours at UPS as a part timer than I do as a full timer.
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Delivered auto parts during the day and stocked shelves at a grocery store from midnight to 4 am.
  4. Peppermint Patty

Peppermint Patty Cardboard Pusher

I did alot of odds and ends until I was able to start driving Saturday Air. Now I work more at UPS than I ever thought I would as a part timer. Try a grocery store or deliver pizza a couple nights a week. Every little bit helps.
  5. tacken

tacken Active Member

Pay the part timers a livable wage. Don't hold them hostage so they cant provide for there families!!!
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Derail Derail x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Part time jobs aren't meant to be able to live and sustain as a family. That's what full time jobs are for. You sound like the meek that work at McDonald's and want $15/hour
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  7. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

Or you become an adult and get a full time job or another part time job. Imagine that. It's your responsibility to provide for yourself, not the company's.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. BrownJake

BrownJake BrownPower

Just so everyone knows, I'm not asking for me.. I'm just curious what others have done.. It's not easy playing the waiting game.. So again, just curious as to what others have done until they made it.
  9. tacken

tacken Active Member

Its also not to be a carrot for ten years to get a full time job. I know of a part timer who waited 12 years to get full time. They shrink routes cancel routes when they could be adding our union brothers to the full time ranks.
    As for being meek you know nothing about me except what I posted on here.
  10. Orion inc.

Orion inc. I like turtles

What? You're not on your own FT bid route or in feeders by now?

I'm shocked. How are they going to get through peak without you?
  11. Orion inc.

Only two things create jobs at ups: volume and if every driver was on the 9/5 list.

Everything else just makes it a waiting game.
  12. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Active Member

Will another thing you can do is get a wife or girlfriend to help pay your bills. I been at ups for 14 years and don't plan on going full time ever. Where else are you going to make 30000 dollars a year working 25 hours a week.
  13. tacken

tacken Active Member

I will be out there in the dark delivering. Have fresh batteries ready to go..
  14. tacken

tacken Active Member

And we both no that will never happen!!!!
  15. Orion inc.

That comment was directed at Mr brown Jake, not you
  16. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Almost everyone in my building either did landscaping or mowing. Plenty of work in the summer but no problem getting off in the winter for peak when you could make more money driver helping.
  17. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You never worked part time at ups.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  18. HardknocksUPSer

HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

It chaps his ass when you remind him of that, haha.
  19. jaker

jaker trolling

Wow let's see I worked a FT at a warehouse left there , worked FT at a motorcycle shop in parts department left there to go to another store

Worked at different lube shops for awhile and worked at a paint store

All the jobs where FT
  20. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

I worked PT as a photographer for a wholesale catalog outfit. For a while, I worked for a sales rep that represented a dozen or so lines of outdoor gear. I worked sportshows, boat shows and other demos. I also edited a fishing magazine for a couple of years. That was a FT gig for the last week of the month and then just a few hours the rest of the month.

1 Spring, I rigged boats from late April till sometime in June.

1 School year, I was a playground supervisor. The pay was decent and the stories I got out of the experience have been great campfire fodder. I got to see my youngest everyday at lunch too, so that was another bonus. If I were PT, I would do that again, in a heartbeat.

I had applied and interviewed to work PT at a grocery store at the meat counter, but they said that as a PT gig, I could work up to 39.5 hours a week and every other weekend. The discount on steaks would have been a bonus, but I did not want to work that many more hours.

When the other gigs dried up, I trained to be a 12-hour responder, joined the safety committee and signed a bid to be an air driver. After that, I worked 30-35 hours a week, more during peak and I did not need to work more than that.