2nd job

AutoZone

BrownPower
What jobs did you all do while waiting for a FT position to open up within UPS that allowed you to work the odd hours but still supported your families? Just wanting some input.. Negative comments can stay out please.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I did alot of odds and ends until I was able to start driving Saturday Air. Now I work more at UPS than I ever thought I would as a part timer. Try a grocery store or deliver pizza a couple nights a week. Every little bit helps.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Pay the part timers a livable wage. Don't hold them hostage so they cant provide for there families!!!

Part time jobs aren't meant to be able to live and sustain as a family. That's what full time jobs are for. You sound like the meek that work at McDonald's and want $15/hour

AutoZone

BrownPower
Just so everyone knows, I'm not asking for me.. I'm just curious what others have done.. It's not easy playing the waiting game.. So again, just curious as to what others have done until they made it.

tacken

Part time jobs aren't meant to be able to live and sustain as a family. That's what full time jobs are for. You sound like the meek that work at McDonald's and want $15/hour
Its also not to be a carrot for ten years to get a full time job. I know of a part timer who waited 12 years to get full time. They shrink routes cancel routes when they could be adding our union brothers to the full time ranks.
As for being meek you know nothing about me except what I posted on here.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
What? You're not on your own FT bid route or in feeders by now?

I'm shocked. How are they going to get through peak without you?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Its also not to be a carrot for ten years to get a full time job. I know of a part timer who waited 12 years to get full time. They shrink routes cancel routes when they could be adding our union brothers to the full time ranks.
As for being meek you know nothing about me except what I posted on here.
Only two things create jobs at ups: volume and if every driver was on the 9/5 list.

Everything else just makes it a waiting game.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Will another thing you can do is get a wife or girlfriend to help pay your bills. I been at ups for 14 years and don't plan on going full time ever. Where else are you going to make 30000 dollars a year working 25 hours a week.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just so everyone knows, I'm not asking for me.. I'm just curious what others have done.. It's not easy playing the waiting game.. So again, just curious as to what others have done until they made it.
Almost everyone in my building either did landscaping or mowing. Plenty of work in the summer but no problem getting off in the winter for peak when you could make more money driver helping.

jaker

trolling
Wow let's see I worked a FT at a warehouse left there , worked FT at a motorcycle shop in parts department left there to go to another store

Worked at different lube shops for awhile and worked at a paint store

All the jobs where FT

barnyard

KTM rider
I worked PT as a photographer for a wholesale catalog outfit. For a while, I worked for a sales rep that represented a dozen or so lines of outdoor gear. I worked sportshows, boat shows and other demos. I also edited a fishing magazine for a couple of years. That was a FT gig for the last week of the month and then just a few hours the rest of the month.

1 Spring, I rigged boats from late April till sometime in June.

1 School year, I was a playground supervisor. The pay was decent and the stories I got out of the experience have been great campfire fodder. I got to see my youngest everyday at lunch too, so that was another bonus. If I were PT, I would do that again, in a heartbeat.

I had applied and interviewed to work PT at a grocery store at the meat counter, but they said that as a PT gig, I could work up to 39.5 hours a week and every other weekend. The discount on steaks would have been a bonus, but I did not want to work that many more hours.

When the other gigs dried up, I trained to be a 12-hour responder, joined the safety committee and signed a bid to be an air driver. After that, I worked 30-35 hours a week, more during peak and I did not need to work more than that.