Can anyone tell me if there is life after UPS ???

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I retired 4 years ago at 55 after 30 years and never looked back. I moved to a Del Webb retirement community in a warm climate, there is so much to do here everyday I don't have to look for a hobby, there is a great life after UPS!:wink2:
Which Del Webb?

ImpactedTSG

Hello all, I am the wife of a feeder-driver. He has been with UPS for 30yrs and this week he retires. As a matter of fact... he has been counting the days down, and he has four left as of today. He won't just retire, he is going to drive for a independent driver. He wants to do the kind of driving he done before he went to work for UPS. I know it shouldn't be, but its scary to me for him to make a change right now. He isn't the sort that won't do nothing, he has always been a survivor. I was just wondering if anyone else out there has left UPS and been content with your decision. If so please let me know the good and the bad. Thanks !
Yes there is life after brown. So far, it's been a very positive change for me.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
From the looks of the seniority board in our hub you sure wouldn't think so. We have 35 or more guys that are eligible but won't go. That's just in feeders.

tunemixer

Our local says the same thing about working after retirement. It does allow up to 48 hrs a month. I am retiring at the end of this year. We had our BA here two weeks ago and went over everything we needed to do with paperworks and the pension. He said about 80% of retires in our local do NOT take the survior benefit. They either have or get life insurance .In my case I would have lost 1100.00 a month taking the 25% cut and the 1% in case my wife passes before me . We have purchased a nice size life insurance policy that can be passed on to my kids in the event both of of die and will be putting more then half of that 1100.00 in our pockets.
As far as working after. Our BA also told us if we find something that we want to do and want to work more hours then the 48 restricted to just file for a waiver with the board. The chances of getting the waiver are very good provided its not something that is union related.
I was nervous about retiring after our meeting but I am now looking foward to it. This is a young mans job. I'll be 62 three weeks before I retire. I can still hold my own with the young guys . Just takes me a little longer to get going. Good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tune, great post w/solid information. The only concern I would have is purchasing a life insurance at age 62 could be rather expensive so it may be good retirement planning to purchase this insurance at a younger age. I have a $500K term policy which expires when I turn 61 which will cover me while I am still working. I have also purchased Long Term Care insurance at a much lower premium than if I were to wait until I retire. I will be looking in to AARP Group Insurance when I become eligible.

P

pickup

I bumped into (bad term, let me say met) another feeder driver at another terminal who retired but came back for last peak. I really didn't get into details with him about it but I assume he was getting paid the casual rate which with a bonus comes out to about 20 bucks an hours,(18.42 an hour ,this is at his termina lplus a hundred dollar bonus a week and a 500 bonus at the end providing no attendance or accident issues) not including overtime. Apparently, this allows him to keep busy for 3 months out of a year , get some extra cash and look forward to january when he can retire again. I don't know how this affects his pension. It also gives him a chance to see his old pals again. Management likes having him because he already knows the routine, how to use the ivis, knows most of the appropriate slics and doesn't need directions printed out.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Really! Well happy last Monday morning to you. How many years? Any tips for us? I have 6 more:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:.

Sorry it took so long to reply, quite a week, they loaded me up every day until Friday (yesterday). Union calls it 22 years, UPS calls it 21, I was two weeks short of my senority date, could have left last week, but got confused (long story).

Just do as my username says. As long as you go by the book, the Union can always back you up if there is a problem, of course you have to cya constantly, take notes and not even give the illusion of doing something wrong.

Anybody have the center manager ride with you on the last day, was told by dm to go with me. Boy they must be paranoid!

I am new to the Brown Cafe. Just joined tonight. Found this thread and thought I would put my 2cents in.
I retired from UPS with 30 years service this last October. Right before the meltdown. Although I have lost more than half of my retirement savings, I must say it is a better place staying home than it is going to work every single day in all sorts of weather. I, by the way, was a part-time union clerk.

To the person who ask if there are any John Grisham book lovers, I am one of them. Haven't read The Associate yet. John just happens to be a cousin of my sister-in-law. I have his first 3 books signed.

I am new to the Brown Cafe. Just joined tonight. Found this thread and thought I would put my 2cents in.
I retired from UPS with 30 years service this last October. Right before the meltdown. Although I have lost more than half of my retirement savings, I must say it is a better place staying home than it is going to work every single day in all sorts of weather. I, by the way, was a part-time union clerk.

To the person who ask if there are any John Grisham book lovers, I am one of them. Haven't read The Associate yet. John just happens to be a cousin of my sister-in-law. I have his first 3 books signed.
Welcome to Brown Cafe Gramps. Congrats on the retirement. Now, for the third degree....how old are you? Is your retirement sufficient to maintain close to your pre retirement life style? Do you now or are you planning to work outside of UPS ?
LOL...just curious. BTW, curious is the PC term for nosy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think you will enjoy The Associate. It is similar to The Firm but with a few twists which I won't reveal. I like it when he stays in genre as I wasn't as impressed with Playing For Pizza, Bleachers, or Skipping Christmas.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think you will enjoy The Associate. It is similar to The Firm but with a few twists which I won't reveal. I like it when he stays in genre as I wasn't as impressed with Playing For Pizza, Bleachers, or Skipping Christmas.
Upstate, you didn't like Playing for Pizza? I thought it was very entertaining. I guess I'm easy. LOL

Welcome to Brown Cafe Gramps. Congrats on the retirement. Now, for the third degree....how old are you? Is your retirement sufficient to maintain close to your pre retirement life style? Do you now or are you planning to work outside of UPS ?
LOL...just curious. BTW, curious is the PC term for nosy.

Not sure I did this right, I'll learn.
I a a 60 year old former UPS worker. Of course, my retirement earnings are not the same as (or close to) what I was making while working, but the piece of mind and being able to sleep later are worth it. I was getting too old to do the job as I thought it should be done. No, I do not have another job, yet. Instead, I have started working out regularly. Decided a year from now, I will go into my old building and say, "Look at what retirement did for me!" That is if my working out really does do something for me.
My husband was retired two years before me. I'm hoping that once the meltdown ends we will be able to travel some.
That's about it on me. Retirement is great.

cwmaxxout

I don't mean no disrespect but too the people that retire, go back to school learn how to start a business since you now have a check in the mail plus extra time. Please stop working for others leave those jobs for the many other un-employed that need work, create work be the boss I know that you can do it help you fellow American's. That's my take on this subject good luck!