center manager "demotes" drivers

wornoutupser

This is a new one!

One of the buildings in my area has several junior drivers back in the preload/reload. The center manager told them that they are no longer drivers and that they are now part time employees!
How in the world can the contract support this?

helenofcalifornia

If they passed their 30 days probation, I can't see how the center manager could do this. Lay them off if their seniority is not high enough, but demote them back to PT? No way!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
First, I would tend to say NO WAY! like Helen did. But then I have to stop and ask, what's the contract say. If you were in Western Region I would say, 'nope not gonna happen'. Socal correctly asked, 'were they cover drivers (PT)' or utilities (W.R. version of unbidded FT drivers).

This being said, I still don't think they can get away with it even though we all know they will try. It just isn't right.

It beats a permanent lay off...We had 2 drivers transfer from another building. But not off the transfer list. Some back door deal was done and they are considered rehires. So they were not laid off permanently.

raceanoncr

Circumstances prevail. Did they make FT status? If so, that cannot be taken away. They CAN be, if routes are canceled or not enough business to support them, be forced into layoff or bumping least senior FTer in their classification or bump 2 FTers. Check your contract and supplement.

center manager may have been trying to flex his/her muscles by telling them that they are no longer FT and now PT.

Were they just PTers making almost FT hours? There could be alot of questions with this situation.

Now, remember people, I said, "Check your contract and supplement"! HERE, I said, "HERE", a FTer cannot be forced back into PT status again. They can take 2 FT jobs to make their 8 hour guarantee, take layoff or bump least senior person in their class.

Here we have PT cover drivers, they work as drivers when needed and when not they go back to the PT shift they were in when they started driving.
We also have FT cover drivers,(or unassigned, swing) we are FT employees. If we are not needed for a given day we have the right to bump into the PT shifts, replacing two PTers if we want 8 hours. The company can not take away the PT rating and demote us to PT.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The Atlantic supplement, for one, allows PT cover drivers. Ask BBAG. He was a PT temp cover. The company can indeed say "we dont want you driving anymore".

NHDRVR

In our center our junionr drivers were kicked back to part-time due to the volume drop. Seniority rules...

If I am not mistaken, this language is in the contract under the 'right to work' section...

some1else

Banned
atlantic does not allow pt cover drivers. cover drivers are FT just like a bid driver. june-dec they use reg-temp regular-temporary drivers who are PT and do go back to their previous PT bid after christmass.

rocket man

Wise up your not demoted are you people in the union/? when do you pay attention? Only when things are going bad ? You are the far from being demoted. Even if your a cover driver. the first 7 days you get full pay it may be 2 /.4 hour shifts but you guaranteed 8 hrs .If you work in that 7 days as a driver the whole pay prosess starts again.now its the time more than ever its time to write up every supervisor for working even if its a minute.FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS GOOD LUCK. ( PUT THE U BACK IN THE UNION) THANKS.

wornoutupser

I did check and these were drivers were not cover drivers.
Now is the can of worms: will these drivers have to re-qualify? Another question is this: If a large number of drivers are out, then cover drivers with less seniority will be working over the "demoted" drivers? This seems to be a royal mess!

outamyway

I did check and these were drivers were not cover drivers.
Now is the can of worms: will these drivers have to re-qualify? Another question is this: If a large number of drivers are out, then cover drivers with less seniority will be working over the "demoted" drivers? This seems to be a royal mess!

There's more to this. There has to be. Is volume down? Are a lot of routes being cut? The exact same thing is going on in our building. These are not demotions, they are layoffs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Get this one:

I bid into a FT driving job from 22.3 recently.

HR is asking that I have sign over a waiver to my rights as an employee. They are asking me to complete a job application on upsjobs.com that states that I become an at-will employee and am a peak season hire that can be released of all rights to my employment. Because I bid this job during the summer.

Is this legal? Is this part of what is going on nationally? I have 8+ years and 3 years FT.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Get this one:

HR is asking that I have sign over a waiver to my rights as an employee. They are asking me to complete a job application on upsjobs.com that states that I become an at-will employee and am a peak season hire that can be released of all rights to my employment. Because I bid this job during the summer.

Is this legal? Is this part of what is going on nationally? I have 8+ years and 3 years FT.
No way. I'd be talking to your steward. This sounds hinky to me.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Get this one:

Either go back to 22.3 or don't sign anything and stay where you are. Personally I wouldn't have left 22.3 for anything less than feeders.

Just go to Steward and ask him/her to get the BA involved, the company will try to all kinds of crap.

DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING!!!!!

rocket man

The only one who has to requailify is only if you were a sat air driver .and even im not positive about that. and it would have to be after one FULL YEAR. you people musT have thE number to your union hall thats what is there for . PUT THE U BACK IN UNION