Does UPS make you join the union?

dragracer66

[/url] Upstate.....I am a big enough guy to stand up when I make a mistake. I stand corrected!!!!!! But still paying $84 a month for that is still a bargin in todays world. Thanks for correcting me......Drag

Here you go smart guy:

http://www.nnebt.org/index.htm

Looks like the Teamsters to me. :oops:

Perhaps if your reading comprehension was better. We would not still be having this conversation?[/quote] And perhaps if you knew math I still wouldn't be explaining this to you (RAINMAN!!!!!)

newguy1

Attention All Brown Cafe Forum Members

Hijacking any thread started by or posted on by bste11 is forbidden.

We are truly sorry, your Majesty. A thousand apologies, your Highness.

This ban will be lifted 12/24 when new guy is given his walking papers.

i hope i dont get my walking papers.....im gonna try to do whatever to work pt and wait my turn for fulltime driver, this job is great! Peak couldnt be better, bustin my butt and i cant complain about the pay....

hahaha sorry for hijacking the thread...hahaha

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Attention All Brown Cafe Forum Members

Hijacking any thread started by or posted on by bste11 is forbidden.

We are truly sorry, your Majesty. A thousand apologies, your Highness.

This ban will be lifted 12/24 when new guy is given his walking papers.
Does that include in here as well.............the walking papers that is?

backinbrown

respect my authority
Man **** the union. I had to join. I asked my HR guy (the one present while I did my new forms today) and he said it was a necessary evil. This is bull****, I'm only working here til December 31, and MAYBE after that and I have to pay for it??

find a new job you dont desearve the protection of the union but i bet youll be the first to cry for union help if the need arose you my friend dont belong here at ups you belong in mcdonalds management training

herbigharo32

This week, I actually asked the shop steward for an information packet and he said he had none. Well, I would not sign up for something I know nothing or little about. I'll try a town hall meeting which takes place once a month. Since I do plan on staying with UPS, I intend to learn more about this union before deciding upon membership.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
This week, I actually asked the shop steward for an information packet and he said he had none. Well, I would not sign up for something I know nothing or little about. I'll try a town hall meeting which takes place once a month. Since I do plan on staying with UPS, I intend to learn more about this union before deciding upon membership.

Think you mean a union hall meeting :wink2:

backinbrown

respect my authority

Town Hall meeting? go to your locals monthly meeting, talk to senior drivers, read the posts on this site, the union can be yor best friend, what is your job at UPS? please dont be afraid to ask questions, i am proud to be a TEAMSTER and am equally as proud to be a UPS driver. I think once you become more informed about the union and what it has done for us you see why we need the union

lynda

My son just got hired by UPS and they say he has to join the Union. He gets $9/hr, 25 hrs a week, I have him covered on my health insurance, and he's going to college. He needs every dime for school. I don't think it's fair to make part-timers join, but he says he has no choice. I had to join a Union as a teacher so please don't throw tomatoes...I just think it's sad that my son has to pay out all that dues when he doesn't make very much to start with. Sad beans.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My son just got hired by UPS and they say he has to join the Union. He gets $9/hr, 25 hrs a week, I have him covered on my health insurance, and he's going to college. He needs every dime for school. I don't think it's fair to make part-timers join, but he says he has no choice. I had to join a Union as a teacher so please don't throw tomatoes...I just think it's sad that my son has to pay out all that dues when he doesn't make very much to start with. Sad beans.
If he has to join, can he then write a letter to get out of the union and have dues stopped being taken out of his check?

sherman22

I don't know, man... I only make 9.50/hr inside and 12.88/hr on the outside. 80 something bucks a month is a lot of my hours for nothing. The way I see it, that 80 bucks is more than my cell phone, internet and satellite tv subscriptions. That's a hefty fee for a month. Unnecessary.
I don't know where you are located, but here in Central Plains (local 238) we have a progressive union dues. I only pay 10.50 a week but I'm not at top pay as a driver. I'm a street hire and I am not gonna grip about union dues w/ these benefits. You won't find them anywhere else.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sad, but true, pay up, or work elsewhere!

If he has to join, can he then write a letter to get out of the union and have dues stopped being taken out of his check?
I don't think he can do that in a non right to work state.

moreluck

golden ticket member

..........."I don't think he can do that in a non right to work state...." (stug)

I think CA. you can, all depends on the State you are in.

UPSGUY72

..........."I don't think he can do that in a non right to work state...." (stug)

I think CA. you can, all depends on the State you are in.

There are 22 right to work states they are :

UPSGUY72

It's not sad. No one forced you son to to fill out and application at UPS. I'm sure the local grocery store, wal-mart or Mcdonalds are hiring they always are.

In a year he will have better health insurance coverage then he has now and it won't cost him a penny.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with you. Your son does not plan to make UPS his career--he just wants some pocket money while in college. He also has health insurance through your employer (thanks to Obamacare) but will have to forfeit that one year after his start date as Obamacare dictates that if he is eligible for healthcare through his employer he must take advantage of that and your insurer cannot be forced to cover him.

I think new hires who do not wish to join the union and do not want the health care should be given that option. I think there should be a higher wage for those who choose not to use the health care coverage.

Over, you asked the obvious question--why apply at a union shop? I will tell you that when I applied in 1989 I had no idea about the union--I simply wanted a good-paying job with a solid company.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree with you. Your son does not plan to make UPS his career--he just wants some pocket money while in college. He also has health insurance through your employer (thanks to Obamacare) but will have to forfeit that one year after his start date as Obamacare dictates that if he is eligible for healthcare through his employer he must take advantage of that and your insurer cannot be forced to cover him.

I think new hires who do not wish to join the union and do not want the health care should be given that option. I think there should be a higher wage for those who choose not to use the health care coverage.

Over, you asked the obvious question--why apply at a union shop? I will tell you that when I applied in 1989 I had no idea about the union--I simply wanted a good-paying job with a solid company.
And thanks to YOUR union, you got just what you wanted. Remember, they negotiated the contract, or you just may be making what they make at THOSE other places.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And thanks to YOUR union, you got just what you wanted. Remember, they negotiated the contract, or you just may be making what they make at THOSE other places.

Steve, my point was I didn't apply at UPS for the sole purpose of becoming a Teamster. Having come from the military I had little interaction with unions. All I wanted was a good-paying job with benefits which would allow me to provide for my family.