Express raises.

vantexan

I'm putting in for a transfer. Mgr knows I'm concerned about them hiring a part-timer who'll take my OT, so told me that they had a conference call this afternoon where they were told we were getting much larger raises this October and they're going to top us out faster. I can't help but believe he hopes I'll stick around until October and then it'll be too late to get out before Peak most likely.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm putting in for a transfer. Mgr knows I'm concerned about them hiring a part-timer who'll take my OT, so told me that they had a conference call this afternoon where they were told we were getting much larger raises this October and they're going to top us out faster. I can't help but believe he hopes I'll stick around until October and then it'll be too late to get out before Peak most likely.
He probably means him and the other managers. Come October and he'll change his horses.

If it sounds too good to be true.....

Van, go with your gut feeling on that one.

Last edited:

dezguy

Well, if that is indeed the case, wouldn't you be getting a much larger raise regardless of whether you stick it out in your current situation or not? What is really enticing you to stay either way?

vantexan

Well, if that is indeed the case, wouldn't you be getting a much larger raise regardless of whether you stick it out in your current situation or not? What is really enticing you to stay either way?
You are correct and I'm not staying. Just reporting on his last ditch effort to get me to stay. I had asked him awhile back if he had heard anything about a new raise plan, and had told him when I applied that he had mentioned they wanted to get me off sooner(off at 2240 last night) by hiring a part-timer. Brought up that they could have, per policy, given me my pay back when they rehired me a year ago and could keep me here if they reinstated it(which I know they won't). So he comes up with this, knowing if I do stay here thinking better money is coming soon, by the time I figure out the lie I'll be stuck here thru Peak. Just goes to show how mgr's think they're clever and can get one over on us. And I'll gladly eat my words if they do come up with a better raise plan, but not holding my breath.

fedex_rtd

I would suggest that you just go ahead and put in your Jcats request and transfer.
You have been around long enough to remember when we went from two 3.5% raises to a single raise, they told us back then that 7% was better than two 3.5% raises as that was what your top reviews would get you, but people like me pointed out that they were taking away the compounding effect, their reply was that this will help you top out even sooner. Down the road a few years that 7% max would turn out to be 5% then 3% so much for topping out faster. The company knew exactly what they were doing and did it gradual enough that most did not notice.

A few years ago they gave us mid range guys a nice pay raise, but turned around and took it back the following year when they did away with second, third, and split shift pay.

Van; The only way you should feel comfortable about getting a big raise like this manager is talking about is to get it in writing, on a FedEx letter head paper signed by a senior manager. You and I both know the odds of that happening are right up there with a "big" raise on the horizon!

vantexan

I would suggest that you just go ahead and put in your Jcats request and transfer.
You have been around long enough to remember when we went from two 3.5% raises to a single raise, they told us back then that 7% was better than two 3.5% raises as that was what your top reviews would get you, but people like me pointed out that they were taking away the compounding effect, their reply was that this will help you top out even sooner. Down the road a few years that 7% max would turn out to be 5% then 3% so much for topping out faster. The company knew exactly what they were doing and did it gradual enough that most did not notice.

A few years ago they gave us mid range guys a nice pay raise, but turned around and took it back the following year when they did away with second, third, and split shift pay.

Van; The only way you should feel comfortable about getting a big raise like this manager is talking about is to get it in writing, on a FedEx letter head paper signed by a senior manager. You and I both know the odds of that happening are right up there with a "big" raise on the horizon!
Obviously if they are going to give big raises in October they would be letting everyone know it now to keep people from quitting before then. Where's the glossy handout telling us how magnanimous they are? Just another ploy by a mgr. Back in 2012 my senior mgr and mgr, both eventually fired, told me there was a hiring freeze for lateral moves by couriers. I filed a GFT, and suddenly the freeze was lifted. Even district director had me call him so he could explain what happened with the freeze so that I wouldn't go forward with the GFT. All the things that happen to us, as a group or individually, happen because our company sees us as rubes who can be exploited. Gets old.

CJinx

I haven't heard anything about *big* raises, but I did hear on the conference call that percentages are getting finalized and should be out next week (at least, for Ground employees).

MAKAVELI

I haven't heard anything about *big* raises, but I did hear on the conference call that percentages are getting finalized and should be out next week (at least, for Ground employees).
Read the the thread title. I wouldn't be expecting a big raise at ground either. With the CA , Santa Fe lawsuits and $ dumped into infrastructure, you'd be lucky to get 3%.

CJinx

Read the the thread title. I wouldn't be expecting a big raise at ground either. With the CA , Santa Fe lawsuits and $ dumped into infrastructure, you'd be lucky to get 3%.
All of the raises now happen in October so I figured the information was pertinent. Merit increases don't conflict with the legal budget... although if you want to piss a manager off, ask them about their incentive bonus and then about the Genco purchase. ;)

MAKAVELI

All of the raises now happen in October so I figured the information was pertinent. Merit increases don't conflict with the legal budget... although if you want to piss a manager off, ask them about their incentive bonus and then about the Genco purchase. ;)
Everything is used as an excuse for lower raises. Regardless of what does or doesn't conflict with the legal budget.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I think Fred is willing to continue to suffer massive turnover and mismanagement at Express as long as Ground keeps it's high profit margins. To me, that would indicate minimal raises at Ground and very minimal raises at Express. As someone else said, they will use any excuse to plead poverty and not give decent raises.