FMLA

I got the first letter last week. I've received two since then that are essentially copies of the first. I'm in a big building also. My wife was diagnosed with lung cancer in July of 2010, three month after she and I quit smoking. She has been under hospice care for the last three months. I'm typing this from my phone in her ICU hospital room. I've taken intermittent FMLA leave the last two years. It has enabled me to take her to all of her appointments, and to stay home to care for her when she was too sick to be home alone. If that is abusing the system, then so be it.
What you are doing is called being a great man, husband, and human being. God bless you man you brought a tear to my eye. You are a good man my heart goes out to you and your wife. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
FMLA was created to give people long periods of time off for special circumstances. If your using is to get a day off here or there your abusing the system.
What you are saying is that your job should be put above family and work laws should reflect that.

Let's consider doing the same for armed service members, then. If they must leave a weekend or a week a month, they're gone. But if they do a tour, they can keep their job. Perfect!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have many people in my center who try and use FMLA for their kids routine dr appointments that they always schedule on Fridays. That's abusing the system. Didn't mean to make it sound like anyone here was doing that sorry.

What'dyabringmetoday???

We have many people in my center who try and use FMLA for their kids routine dr appointments that they always schedule on Fridays. That's abusing the system. Didn't mean to make it sound like anyone here was doing that sorry.
Not that my opinion counts, but I did not take your original post to be derogatory. It can be a tough crowd around here. There is almost a posting code.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I got the first letter last week. I've received two since then that are essentially copies of the first. I'm in a big building also. My wife was diagnosed with lung cancer in July of 2010, three month after she and I quit smoking. She has been under hospice care for the last three months. I'm typing this from my phone in her ICU hospital room. I've taken intermittent FMLA leave the last two years. It has enabled me to take her to all of her appointments, and to stay home to care for her when she was too sick to be home alone. If that is abusing the system, then so be it.
I'm sorry Dizzee. I quit smoking Feb. 26, 2000. It is a terrible disease.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
The call when one uses FMLA and the call to return would apply to non-intermittent FMLA. Intermittent FMLA can be used in increments down to the minute. If your employee has to leave an hour early they are to call HRSC? And call again before they come to work the next day? Or would your prefer they inform you as soon as they know directly so you can plan accordingly?

CACH it applies to both. I have never had an employee leave an hour early for FMLA reasons. My employees have always called before they have come back does not matter if has been block or intermittent.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

I apologize for dumping on you. You just hit a sensitive nerve with me today.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Wow.

Blessings and prayers.

You maintain such a positive style....you are an incredible man. Your wife is blessed and so are we!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes Dizee prayers for you and yours. My understanding of intermittent FMLA was I could call in and say I will not be in Im using my fmla. If I knew ahead of time, I would let them know thats only right. If I didnt, that is just what it was for.

CACH it applies to both. I have never had an employee leave an hour early for FMLA reasons. My employees have always called before they have come back does not matter if has been block or intermittent.

While you may have never had anyone do that they are well within their rights to do so. Which would you prefer? Someone that comes in and contributes until they have to leave or one that calls off for the day when they only need an hour? At my barn they thank us for coming in what we can. And I and those that I know have never called in before returning to work. We just show up. I realize our operation and its size and staffing capabilities may make this easier than a smaller operation where you have to plan accordingly to cover an absence.

Yes Dizee prayers for you and yours. My understanding of intermittent FMLA was I could call in and say I will not be in Im using my fmla. If I knew ahead of time, I would let them know thats only right. If I didnt, that is just what it was for.

You hit it on the head. When I find out I'll need some time I'll let my mgmt team know in advance. If something comes up suddenly I inform them immediately, which according to the law was as soon as possible.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Do all other forms of call in use it? No. Do you always know 24 hours in advance? No.

Complaints need to be filed in any area with this system.

I found out some new info. 1 - It's not a 24 hr prior to. It's call when you know. Ok, so that is good but the rest IS NOT. Failure to call the automated system constitutes a no call/no show and is grounds for termination. It makes no difference if I have notified my supervisor, I HAVE to call the automated system. So I asked sup, "So then I don't have to call you anymore?". Nope. I have to call him and call the automated.

If that system
:censored2:s up and doesn't show that I called in then I am in jeopardy of losing my job over a no call/no show. That's wrong.

I called the number tonight to do whatever steps I needed to do. This is priceless ----- "I'm sorry but we are closed. Please call back between 8am and 9pm, Monday thru Fri." I called at around 7:30. This is NOT instilling a lot of confidence on my part.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
​I have received no letters regarding this.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
​This is wrong. Not only is it discrimination by subjecting one certain group of people to more rigorous work standards than another set it is putting this same group in double jeopardy by forcing them to make 2, sole and separate, calls that are independent of each other. If I have an emergency come up that I have to be home for, how the hell am I supposed to remember to call a fricking automated system to say, "HEY, I'm not going to be there." This is WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!! :nono2:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dont worry about it. You will have cell phone records to show you called. I didnt have to use the automated, but I would call both. Not coming in this is Dilli and my employee ID is, Bye. They will not try to fire you based on their system that doesnt work, I promise. This is one area they will lose. you are protected, period. +1 for a govt agency.
If it is an emergency that came about at 8am, you have til 7pm and you have the 3 day no call no show. Relax, its not good to need fmla, if you got it, you need it, you have enough to deal with.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dont worry about it. You will have cell phone records to show you called. I didnt have to use the automated, but I would call both. Not coming in this is Dilli and my employee ID is, Bye. They will not try to fire you based on their system that doesnt work, I promise. This is one area they will lose. you are protected, period. +1 for a govt agency.
If it is an emergency that came about at 8am, you have til 7pm and you have the 3 day no call no show. Relax, its not good to need fmla, if you got it, you need it, you have enough to deal with.
I don't trust the SOB's. I don't trust them and I (and no one else either) shouldn't have to jump through fricking hoops to get a day that is Federal FRICKING Law. It's friendG BS. And the way it was put to me this morning was not negotiable. I WILL call or it WILL be grounds for termination. I don't friend**G like being threatened. IT'S BS!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
:censored2:It seems as though the only violation there might be is if the collective bargaining agreement has been violated. OK you stewards out there........................ has the collective bargaining agreement been violated? I'm looking at my contract but I'm not sure where to look, but I'm looking.

tardus

We had an issue at our center where an employee took an intermittent FMLA day before a holiday and was not paid for the holiday. According to the contract, if the absence before the holiday was mutually agreed upon, then UPS must pay for the holiday. Since the employee received a letter from UPS approving the number of FMLA days for the year, then UPS certainly cannot claim that the FMLA day wasn't agreed upon. Furthermore, federal FMLA law states that an employee using a FMLA day will not loose any benefit that he has earned.The employee in this case filed a grievance, and the company refused to settle. The Union took this issue to the panel, but I haven't heard the result.