Ford P10 Package Cars

yeldarb

Does anyone know the size of the gas tanks of the Ford P10's that are on the list of getting crushed? The trucks start with 115

Big Babooba

Does anyone know the size of the gas tanks of the Ford P10's that are on the list of getting crushed? The trucks start with 115
I believe they are 30 gallons. I will miss them for their hydraulic parking brake. I know that the mechanics wont for the same reason.

Big Babooba

They work off of a hydraulic pump. If the engine isn't running or the belt breaks then the brake won't disengage. I had a truck that would throw the belt. I had to pop the hood and partially slip it back on the pulley then crank the engine to reseat it. My mechanic wouldn't fix it. It finally broke on my route. He had to make a road call in the rain. I didn't want to rub salt in the wounds so I held my tongue.

barnyard

KTM rider
I believe they are 30 gallons. I will miss them for their hydraulic parking brake. I know that the mechanics wont for the same reason.

I thought it was 25.

Mine is being crushed in the next couple of weeks. It's red-tagged and the markings have been removed.

It was replaced with a POS GM. No power steering and a high step. After I had the POS for 3 weeks, my center manager and DS both asked me to write up the odometer.

"Why?"

"You and the subs that have run the route have been an hour over-allowed since you got the GM."

"Huh, you don't think it's because it is not capable of 65 mph or that it does not have power steering???"

"Nope, it's the odometer."

"Even though my miles are the same as with the Ford???"

The mechanics laughed long and loud.

TB

some1else

Banned
those trucks where pretty ok. i thought they were kinda "fun" to pound through the gears lol. really though compared to the "old" 1000s you can probably finish most routes 1hr faster in one!

dont worry when you get one of the new workhorse 147 series 1000s you wont miss the ford at all :)

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

All our Ford P10's were diesel so they had fuel tanks. I know I'm just being a smart a**. We never fueled our diesels so I don't have a clue as to how big the tanks were.

Like I posted on the new p/c thread last week my old center lost their 115 series P10's some time back.

M

Mike23

It's gotta be over 30 gallons because I remember putting 120 litres into mine and that's 31 gallons.

Oh, also can you NOT crush them and send them across the border please? We have a shortage up here in the Canadian west :D

Also most of our drivers still don't have power steering and a few with only 'assisted' power steering.

While I'm at it, can UPS also give me a unicorn? I always wanted a unicorn :D

Pip

The 3 fords in my fleet have 35 gallon fuel tanks. 2 of the 3 are scheduled to be crushed after peak this year. As a mechanic, I'll be glad. I'll be able to spend more time on other cars then. The Park brake system is hydraulic in these cars, and the rear axle braking system is also a pain in the butt, with regards to continual leaking wheel cylinders, and Park brake chambers. I believe it is more cost effective to just get rid of all of them, which is being done to a large majority of these fords this year.

upssup

The tanks were 35 gallon tanks and the only time we hated the hydraulic park brake was when the park brake was applied while the vehicle was still rolling. It sheared the mount for the brake can!

slantnosechevy

The tanks were 35 gallon tanks and the only time we hated the hydraulic park brake was when the park brake was applied while the vehicle was still rolling. It sheared the mount for the brake can!

Don't understand the mad rush to crush these P1000's. That Ford motor gets 300,000 miles without any problems. Seems like that coupled with having to fix the brakes should be a wash.

Pip

Don't understand the mad rush to crush these P1000's. That Ford motor gets 300,000 miles without any problems. Seems like that coupled with having to fix the brakes should be a wash.

Not sure what ford motor your refering to, all of ours has the Cummins 6BT in them. Known for oil leaks, and a junk fuel shut-off solenoid setup. But 300,000 is no problem for the ones we got. All of mine have seen that long ago, respectfully. The slave cylinder setup has even been problems in the past.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
We just had one towed out Yesterday, it's an ADA and is going to the FBI in Boston for testing! Supposedly they are going to load it up and blow it up to see what a Brown truck could possibly do in a terrorist act!

Mr Shifter

just a crazy idea but I'm reading up on the whole "cash for clunkers" deal on cars.gov.... well i had a wild idea that maybe UPS and the rest of the transportation industry people might of got a deal with like say Freightliner to get new 2009 Freightliners and sacrifice the p1000 as a way to rack of savings and increase fuel efficency

i mean it makes sense to me :smart:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
just a crazy idea but I'm reading up on the whole "cash for clunkers" deal on cars.gov.... well i had a wild idea that maybe UPS and the rest of the transportation industry people might of got a deal with like say Freightliner to get new 2009 Freightliners and sacrifice the p1000 as a way to rack of savings and increase fuel efficency

i mean it makes sense to me :smart:
This is where your plan fails.:sad-little: