Friendly reminder

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You guys miss my entire point. I'm talkin about future contracts. If we don't stand together everyone will get screwed past, current, and future employees. It's all the dam greed. I knew what I was getting in to when I came to ups.

Yes everyone deserves there pension. I for one will always vote to make sure it's there. And I'm not talking about a reduction in pension I'm talking about ups making up the difference in central states deficit.
The guys who have been here 20 plus years are aware of this.

How many contracts at ups have you been through? None.

Get some time and experience in here before you start trying to rally the troops and bark about how it should be.

We are aware.

Also the central states pension won't be an issue for you as a new employee, you are in the ups pension plan, not CS.

Johney

The company was counting on 95% of the workforce crossing the picket line within a week back in 1997.
3 weeks into the strike, 95% were still honoring the picket line.
The pilots union also honored our picket line and refused to fly, which grounded the airline once the management pilots ran out of hours.
The idea that ORION will allow untrained people to walk in off the street and replace us within days is not realistic. ORION doesnt work. It takes a hard job and makes it harder, it wastes time and adds miles. And there simply are not enough management people to train an adequate number of replacements while at the same time keeping things running. The on car management we had in 97 was far better trained, compensated and motivated than the ones we have today. Half of the management people we have would probably quit if we struck. Why stay? They arent getting a pension and they could jump ship to Amazon and make more money.
Things are not what they were in 97. How big is your center? How many new drivers have they hired there in say the last 10 years? I'll tell you how a lot of our young drivers feel about striking. They won't. A lot live way beyond their means and hold the union responsible for what they have to do everyday workload wise. Is that right? Not likely,but that's how it is in our 200+ driver center. All the new sups we have hired have not spent anytime in a seat so they suck down the Kool-aid full glass's at a time. And as far as the pilots honoring a strike? Do we know they would for sure? They honored our 97 strike cause theirs was still in limbo. Sorry I'm not holding my breath.
Listen sober why not just kick back and not worry about this :censored2: hole you're far to close to leaving to even care.

Things are not what they were in 97. How big is your center? How many new drivers have they hired there in say the last 10 years? I'll tell you how a lot of our young drivers feel about striking. They won't. A lot live way beyond their means and hold the union responsible for what they have to do everyday workload wise. Is that right? Not likely,but that's how it is in our 200+ driver center. All the new sups we have hired have not spent anytime in a seat so they suck down the Kool-aid full glass's at a time. And as far as the pilots honoring a strike? Do we know they would for sure? They honored our 97 strike cause theirs was still in limbo. Sorry I'm not holding my breath.
Listen sober why not just kick back and not worry about this :censored2: hole you're far to close to leaving to even care.
Amen

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My wife has medical issues so even though I hit PEER 80 next year I cant afford to retire. And I will only be 50 anyway. I'm going to be around for a little while longer. I also owe a debt to those who came before me and since I cant pay it back I believe in paying it forward. Which is why I voted against the last contract and will vote against any future contract that screws over new hires or creates a two-tier wage system. If this place does go under at least my conscience will be clear.

Foamer Pyle

Wait till 2018. You think the union sold us out on the last 2 contracts??
Now we cant walk out. Orion will be nation wide and live. They will take a few missed boxes for a couple weeks. Even months. For workers at 15 bucks an hr. For UPS to buyout pensions. Concessions galore. It will pass. No one votes
I hope UPS buys me out. We will probably see a 10 year wage progression. The new drivers will never know what it's like to have to drive a non power steering manual package car with a high step for 19 years. I more than paid my dues. Right now Central States is the only pension UPS has bought out. The union should have cut payments on people that worked for a companies that no longer contribute to the pension, a long time ago. If a get whiff of a screwing coming next contract, I will retire before its in place.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I hope UPS buys me out. We will probably see a 10 year wage progression. The new drivers will never know what it's like to have to drive a non power steering manual package car with a high step for 19 years. I more than paid my dues. Right now Central States is the only pension UPS has bought out. The union should have cut payments on people that worked for a companies that no longer contribute to the pension, a long time ago. If a get whiff of a screwing coming next contract, I will retire before its in place.

Buy out won't happen now. The teamsters union is all but broke. After the next contract. Especially if we have Hoffa and Hall

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If the minimum wage does go to $15, then the drivers that would be tasked to take the place of the current drivers would have to get more like $20 an hour. If I knew I'd make $15 an hour either way, I'd be in no rush to leave the PT ranks just to do the far harder drivers job.

And yes, even at $20 the potential for saving money is huge, but not without significant risk. If I knew the guy I was replacing had made closer to $40 an hour, plus benefits, I'd probably slow my roll down to a snails pace. This would inevitably lead to unhappy customers.

UPS would also bleed customers out the :censored2:. No one will tolerate the crappy service that low compensation will quickly provide, and when the customers get wind that's it's all just about making UPS more money, unless they're going to get some major rate discounts as well, they will abandon ship like rats.

Holydriver

Yes I got lucky and was hired into feeders. And I'm not part of the new generation. A littler older then that. Let's just say when I bump in to the hub have around 15 yrs on the kids down there. Also I'm Not saying I should have your jobs. Or that you should let me work. But how bout when it comes contract time instead of .80-1$ a year raises. We make sure everyone has there Health care and people going to retire have there pensions.
You may as well quit trying in here, man. The brown cafe is like a middle school girls clique. These dudes see each other's user name that makes a post and then just agree and like because if the status quo. You're an outsider, and they will treat you like that. I see what you're saying but these guys here don't care. Can't blame them, they've out in there time.

Holydriver

If the minimum wage does go to $15, then the drivers that would be tasked to take the place of the current drivers would have to get more like $20 an hour. If I knew I'd make $15 an hour either way, I'd be in no rush to leave the PT ranks just to do the far harder drivers job.

And yes, even at $20 the potential for saving money is huge, but not without significant risk. If I knew the guy I was replacing had made closer to $40 an hour, plus benefits, I'd probably slow my roll down to a snails pace. This would inevitably lead to unhappy customers.

UPS would also bleed customers out the :censored2:. No one will tolerate the crappy service that low compensation will quickly provide, and when the customers get wind that's it's all just about making UPS more money, unless they're going to get some major rate discounts as well, they will abandon ship like rats.
I disagree...some people will change. Others will just lube up and take it

10 point

I'm just not getting how he is not working feeders for a week. We don't have guys standing around the feeder office looking for work. You're set on a run for the week and that's it. So if there is no work for you that week you bump back into package or shifting or something but you get paid.
On center had a run moved to a hub in a different local. This 22 yr feeder driver ended up dbl bumping.

The OP couldve been hired off the street into feeders. Figure on dbl bumping there for a couple years at times.

I also know of a small center that posted a feeder opening there. No one ft signed it so this preloader did and got feeder qualified. He wasn't pkg car qualified so when he wasn't covering a feeder run he went back to pt work. (That is truly messed up.)

To @Insaneasylum, get the part timers to vote and they'd probably still be at a two yr progression. The ft cannot vote for them and they won't even vote for their own futures so why are you posting about ft voters? Frustration is not always parallel to reality.

10 point

Yes I got lucky and was hired into feeders. And I'm not part of the new generation. A littler older then that. Let's just say when I bump in to the hub have around 15 yrs on the kids down there. Also I'm Not saying I should have your jobs. Or that you should let me work. But how bout when it comes contract time instead of .80-1$ a year raises. We make sure everyone has there Health care and people going to retire have there pensions.
You got lucky and jumped ahead of people who worked pt time for years to get where you're at.

I suggest you be thankful and quit whining about "dues" you didn't pay to get where you are.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I disagree...some people will change. Others will just lube up and take it

Of course some will stay, but at what cost to UPS? Churn, the term they use when you lose a customer and then go get a new one, is far worse when it's happening company wide, like it did in 1997. Some of those large customers never did come back.

That certainly doesn't mean UPS won't repeat the past, but it won't come cheap.

Holydriver

Of course some will stay, but at what cost to UPS? Churn, the term they use when you lose a customer and then go get a new one, is far worse when it's happening company wide, like it did in 1997. Some of those large customers never did come back.

That certainly doesn't mean UPS won't repeat the past, but it won't come cheap.
To be honest with you, I hope they do lose a lot of customers. Unless they start losing revenue, they will not start changing their business model with the customers in mind.

I run routes with several puck ups that never ship ups. You have anything tonship today? Uh, ups? No, nothing for you, it's all fed ex. What blows my mind is they never ship with us, but they still oay the shipping weekly pick up fee

Insaneasylum

You got lucky and jumped ahead of people who worked pt time for years to get where you're at.

I suggest you be thankful and quit whining about "dues" you didn't pay to get where you are.

I didn't jump ahead of anyone. If people wanted to go to feeders they could of signed the entent to transfer list. People either didn't pass the drive test/ school or didn't want to work nights. Because if p/t's wanted they could if gotten it before they hired me off the street.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I didn't jump ahead of anyone. If people wanted to go to feeders they could of signed the entent to transfer list. People either didn't pass the drive test/ school or didn't want to work nights. Because if p/t's wanted they could if gotten it before they hired me off the street.

Do you know how many times I've heard people say I "jumped them"? No, I took advantage of an opportunity that you were also given but decided to not take advantage of.

10 point

You got hired Full Time.
You said it right the first time...
you lucked out.

Class A drivers are a dime a dozen. I know because I've had a Class A for 23 yrs and people off the street who drive OTR would crawl across broken glass for a "home every day dedicated run with free bennies".

The company does not HAVE to hire off the street but often does for "other" reasons.

Off the street hires get a jump start no matter how you look at it and some pt timers don't always catch the bid postings in hubs.

BTW: Honestly, how many yrs or months have you worked at UPS?

Last edited: