Future of UPS

wayfair

swollen member
I have a salt water shop on my route that I pretty much deliver to everyday... yes, they do receive fedex shipments too.... I'm usually there a bit longer for COD stops and more pieces. As long as they pack well, their stuff generally come in without a problem, minus the COD part..
I make sure everyone is pleased with the delivery, if there is a problem, I try to take of it or give advice on how to.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's just not true. People act like this is the hardest job in the world and it's really not even close. Is it a tough job? Absolutely but the pay more than makes up for it. Roofing is tougher and pays less, landscaping in the summertime isn't any picnic either. Or try working in a coal mine. If it wasn't for the union this job would pay a lot less and people would still do it.
I have done those jobs and while harder physically overall much easier jobs.

As a driver, I'm obviously a big supporter of the pay and benefits but I do wonder how we continue to compete with Fedex if they never unionize. Naturally, the company will always be looking for ways to cut costs (and you can't fault them for that, that's how corporations work) but hopefully they will find better ways than cutting employee wages.

This is just a drop in the bucket of corporate waste, but it makes no sense to pay a driver on overtime to deliver an amazon misload so that management's service numbers will look good. ORION pushes back against that a little bit but we all know ORION comes with a whole 'nother set of problems that I don't think were ever anticipated. There are a lot of relevant factors to creating the ideal route that the current version of ORION is not designed to even contemplate, let alone act on. But I digress...

Also, there are a lot of jobs in the hub that could probably be done by robotics. It's a matter of time before the company decides to invest in that technology and therefore eliminate some of those jobs.

Drones are in the future for sure, but probably considerably further down the road than most people think. Aside from the legal problems with drones, there are countless hurdles for making their use efficient. I'm not worried about them taking our jobs any time soon.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Man, what's going to happen when these new fax machines and electronic emails totally make our air network obsolete? I bet pretty soon there'll even be flying robots delivering packages. You should quit your job now, because the future doesn't include UPS.

O

OLDMAN3

$550-800 per week with no benefits over here. Resumes fly in any time a job is posted.

UPS could pay $15 an hour with benefits and have no problem with staffing.
With all due respect, FedEx express drivers are not doing the same job as UPS route drivers. Running air in the morning is our easiest part of the day.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
$550-800 per week with no benefits over here. Resumes fly in any time a job is posted.

UPS could pay $15 an hour with benefits and have no problem with staffing.
At my first stop, which is also the FedEx driver's first stop, my package car is over flowing.

I literally open the back door at the dock and try to dodge the package that may come out.

The FedEx package car looks like it has about 40 packages and he delivers 10 of them to that dock.

WTF does he do all day?

O

OLDMAN3

Are our pensions grandfathered as well? Still have 22+ years to go :/
Don't listen to Upstate telling you that your wages will be grandfathered and your pension will not. He makes stuff up and pretends their is no doubt it is going to happen. There is nothing in the current contract about a split top wage or pension for regular drivers, so he is just guessing what might happen.

In all truthfulness, I have heard this same load of crap for over 30 years at UPS...That driver wages will have to be cut because of competition. Usually it is management trying to lower our expectations for the next contract. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. We are making Billions. The company still has a lot more fat that could be trimmed in other areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

thessalonian13

At my first stop, which is also the FedEx driver's first stop, my package car is over flowing.

I literally open the back door at the dock and try to dodge the package that may come out.

The FedEx package car looks like it has about 40 packages and he delivers 10 of them to that dock.

WTF does he do all day?
The fed ex ground driver tells me every day that I am nuts for doing that much work every day. He would never do my route even for $50 an hour. He would go crazy. That's what he tells me every day.

rickyb

What is some of your opinions on the future of our company? I just don't see future drivers making the pay/benefits in the future. I hope I'm wrong but I think there will be drastic changes made

the average american worker will have their wages slashed in the upcoming decades if nothing changes...

bbsam

Staff member
Don't listen to Upstate telling you that your wages will be grandfathered and your pension will not. He makes stuff up and pretends their is no doubt it is going to happen. There is nothing in the current contract about a split top wage or pension for regular drivers, so he is just guessing what might happen.

In all truthfulness, I have heard this same load of crap for over 30 years at UPS...That driver wages will have to be cut because of competition. Usually it is management trying to lower our expectations for the next contract. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. We are making Billions. The company still has a lot more fat that could be trimmed in other areas.
They didn't cut pay in the last 30 years...they cut routes, no? So they get more for the money. When that's no longer possible what happens? Fedex Ground now has about 24% of the ground market; what happens when it hits 30? 45? Drivers may not see it coming. Atlanta does.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the main differences between you and I is that I don't have my union blinders on when I assess our current situation and what the future may or may not hold.

Ground is not going anywhere and at some point in time UPS and the Union will have to address the wage differential between the two.

I will be gone 7/1/2018 and couldn't care less what happens after that point. My pension is safe and my other investments will provide for a secure retirement.