Get your patches!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Excuse me but I'm curious to what bbsam is?

He's an ex-UPS driver, that became a contractor for FedEx Ground formerly known as RPS

I told my contractor that I don't want any of those patches on my shirts...

So you don't get bonus pay for volunteering to put these on the sleeve?

fedex_rtd

Interesting that Corporate is coming out with this uniform and branding policy now...must have been some kind of legal issue that caused this.

I remember being a DGO driver back when RPS was rebranded into Ground. A lot of customers had the TWO companies confused and thought we were the same company as not many customers noticed the green EX on ground vs. the orange EX on express.

Had the corporate office NOT done this slay of hand to confuse the customers ground would still have the volume that RPS once had...AND the Express drivers would NOT have seen their pay and benefits eroded to the extent that we have seen today.

fedex_rtd

You'd be surprised. My "no name" drivers are well known on their routes. You assume the uniform makes the difference. I assure you it doesn't. I could run a route tomorrow in shorts and a T-shirt and not get so much as a raised eyebrow because of it.
Perhaps your guys could do so, but what about locations that have REAL security like military bases, high security govt. locations and defense contractors? Some of the locations that are in my area have armed guards and they are not just for decoration.

Show up in a plan white truck wearing cut off jean shorts and a trashed T-shirt and you will have a heck of a time getting access.

OrioN

It took me over30 min to goto security at a military base... Not worth it for per-stop pay for a HD driver. I have future boxes diverted to ground, sine they're more regular at going there almost daily delivering bulk & are pre-screened way ahead of time.

Cover drivers would get the shaft as well since they weren't pre-screened as the regular driver

That'll be odd to have bbsam uniforms with FedEx logo vans

It's already a hassle in some towns to be driving around in a rental during non-peak months, until a customer finally see the FedEx uniform

It will be fine

Had the corporate office NOT done this slay of hand to confuse the customers ground would still have the volume that RPS once had...AND the Express drivers would NOT have seen their pay and benefits eroded to the extent that we have seen today.
Lol. So the customers wouldn't chose the option that's 1/4 the cost of express if our name didn't change? We were growing as RPS, why do you think Fred bought it? Express was never built to handle bulk ground shipments. You should be happy our 20% margins continue to float the stock price.

Purplepackage

Lol. So the customers wouldn't chose the option that's 1/4 the cost of express if our name didn't change? We were growing as RPS, why do you think Fred bought it? Express was never built to handle bulk ground shipments. You should be happy our 20% margins continue to float the stock price.

Express still makes 50% of the profit and the other opcos make the other half. Of course that's what little profit we actually make.

And though we aren't prepared for delivering big bulk I'm sure we all have those weird companies that insist of express shipping 200 boxes of air Jordan's

soc151

Interesting that Corporate is coming out with this uniform and branding policy now...must have been some kind of legal issue that caused this.

I remember being a DGO driver back when RPS was rebranded into Ground. A lot of customers had the TWO companies confused and thought we were the same company as not many customers noticed the green EX on ground vs. the orange EX on express.

Are you trying to say that if they had kept it RPS the company would be busier than they are today?? I've been around for going on 7 years, and in that time I've seen so much growth...where Ground routes used to cover 1 or 2 ZIP codes, there are now 2 or 3 trucks in each ZIP. Home Delivery has been even more meteoric in its growth - a route I used to easily cover back in the day now requires 3 drivers. The other day, I was jokingly complaining that my route I'm on now is the only one that still covers multiple ZIPs, and one of the old timers said that when he had the route back in the RPS days, he covered those 3 ZIPs, and 8 others.

They're opening 2 new terminals by 2020. There have been 5 new terminals in the state in the last 10 years. There is no way RPS would have outpaced that. Nope, the only remnant of the RPS days are the decals you can still see painted over on a few of the dinosaurs that pass for trucks.

The main reason that you have seen your pay and benefits eroded at Express is because your brethren at Ground have shown Memphis that the job can be done adequately by individuals willing to accept lower compensation. And adequate is all they want - they aren't going to compensate someone for being a stellar courier if they can hire and ex-Ground driver to do an adequate job for 1/2 the money.

Not really sure who's jumping on the patch train at my terminal yet. There's a lot of push-back occurring. I might learn to sew, just in case...some extra $$ to be made there. ;)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Are you trying to say that if they had kept it RPS the company would be busier than they are today?? I've been around for going on 7 years, and in that time I've seen so much growth...where Ground routes used to cover 1 or 2 ZIP codes, there are now 2 or 3 trucks in each ZIP. Home Delivery has been even more meteoric in its growth - a route I used to easily cover back in the day now requires 3 drivers. The other day, I was jokingly complaining that my route I'm on now is the only one that still covers multiple ZIPs, and one of the old timers said that when he had the route back in the RPS days, he covered those 3 ZIPs, and 8 others.

They're opening 2 new terminals by 2020. There have been 5 new terminals in the state in the last 10 years. There is no way RPS would have outpaced that. Nope, the only remnant of the RPS days are the decals you can still see painted over on a few of the dinosaurs that pass for trucks.

The main reason that you have seen your pay and benefits eroded at Express is because your brethren at Ground have shown Memphis that the job can be done adequately by individuals willing to accept lower compensation. And adequate is all they want - they aren't going to compensate someone for being a stellar courier if they can hire and ex-Ground driver to do an adequate job for 1/2 the money.

Not really sure who's jumping on the patch train at my terminal yet. There's a lot of push-back occurring. I might learn to sew, just in case...some extra $$ to be made there. ;)

And this is the sad reality for what was once a great company, Federal Express, and is now an adequate, bare minimum company FedEx Express. It is what it is. Time never goes backwards, only forwards. We either adapt or GTFO....that simple.

It will be fine

Was just going over this with management. It doesn't matter if you're in the uniform program. Whatever your drivers are wearing needs to display the patch with your company name. It's a separate item in the new agreements. The question is where do the patches go when a driver is wearing a sleeveless t-shirt?

STFXG

Was just going over this with management. It doesn't matter if you're in the uniform program. Whatever your drivers are wearing needs to display the patch with your company name. It's a separate item in the new agreements. The question is where do the patches go when a driver is wearing a sleeveless t-shirt?
Sun's out, guns out!

OrioN

Whatever your drivers are wearing needs to display the patch with your company name. It's a separate item in the new agreements. The question is where do the patches go when a driver is wearing a sleeveless t-shirt?

above the left nipple area on the shirt?!? just like where the FedEx Logos are now on the uniforms

If need be, i rather have that patch on my summer baseball hat since i use it to keep the sun/rain outta my eyes... sewn above the brim or on the back

bbsam

Staff member
That does suck.

fedex_rtd

WOW...So you have to check with management about a silly patch??? Are you sure you are independent or an employee?

fedex_rtd

NO what I am saying is that without the rebranding, RPS/ground would be a much much smaller operation than they are now, and as others have pointed out the experiment with package monkeys accepting minimum wage and no real benefits would not have happened. Thanks to Ground those of us at Express have seen a large erosion in our pay and benefits, at one time we were right up there with UPS in that aspect.

It will be fine

WOW...So you have to check with management about a silly patch??? Are you sure you are independent or an employee?
I checked with management as to the specific language that is being added to the agreement next time I renegotiate. I still have several years on my current agreement so it's entirely optional now. I need to know the new rules to properly estimate the costs of implementation when I negotiate next. Employees would just be handed new uniforms. Do you understand the difference or do I need to use smaller words?