Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Way back in pre-history when I started, we worked the Friday after Thanksgiving. We also got our birthday off. Sometime in the early 80's, we lost our birthday and in exchange got that Friday.

I was lucky, because early on there were enough drivers wanting to work (and later I had enough seniority) that I never again worked that day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What if the union got everyone to work that day? They would have to lay off the bottom and give them other work. Problem is, they might not be running the hub.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hey, I've, I also always hated the Monday after Thanksgiving because of the number of guys they had to let off for first day of buck season.

Made me want to take up hunting!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Way back in pre-history when I started, we worked the Friday after Thanksgiving. We also got our birthday off. Sometime in the early 80's, we lost our birthday and in exchange got that Friday.

I was lucky, because early on there were enough drivers wanting to work (and later I had enough seniority) that I never again worked that day.
You mean "the before time" lol

IN the press release, UPS indicates that we will be paid holiday pay on that friday. It will be something to carry around a ton of packages that cant be delivered because of closures.

TOS.
I'm sure they will be asking us who is open and who's closed. In my building they actually do a good job keeping the kc's off of the car.

Really doesn't come as any surprise. The company does whatever they damn well please. Look at the last 2 contracts. They have completely revamped the union culture in most buildings. They forced most of the older drivers out and now they have the young runners who are thrilled to make $15 an hour for four years. In a few years we will be delivering on Sunday just like the post office started doing.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Saturday and Sunday have always been an option in the contract. This isn't something new. Revamping the union? They actually woke a lot of sleeping giants up with this contract so sorry but I have to shoot that down. 15 bucks an hour for four years. That's not accurate. 18.75 1st year. 20.75 2nd year. 25 in the 3rd year. Top rate after four years. Not ideal wages I agree it's that four year progression. Don't fall into that misery trap. It not good.

Yo
Doesn't mean you won't work it. Just means you will get holiday pay.

I don't see this making much difference for Monday. If we make pick ups on Friday it could be even heavier on Monday. This was a huge day for me personally. I'm 4+ hours away from family and often don't get to spend Xmas with them. That 4 day weekend was huge because it meant I could always spend at least that one holiday with my parents.
you still can