Got a call this morning, starting Tuesday

The Driver

I drive.
That is the biggest crock of barnyard product I've ever heard. You're going to feel bitter toward the O.P. because UPS hired him as a driver faster than you became a driver? You saying that he cheated his way up the ladder or somehow doesn't deserve the opportunity? I think he knows how lucky he is. Some work years as a loader, some don't. Thems the breaks.

I got lucky, sure, but I made the most out of my time last peak. Worked hard as hell, always was very respectful to management, did what they asked when they asked, and showed up on time. Owned up to my mistakes and told them I appreciated the opportunity. Maybe all of that helped.

Who knows, I could be strung along but I'm wiling to take the chance. I'm quitting a full-time job with zero notice because of the short notice UPS gave me to start this week. Oh well!

Brown Pride

I got lucky, sure, but I made the most out of my time last peak. Worked hard as hell, always was very respectful to management, did what they asked when they asked, and showed up on time. Owned up to my mistakes and told them I appreciated the opportunity. Maybe all of that helped.

Who knows, I could be strung along but I'm wiling to take the chance. I'm quitting a full-time job with zero notice because of the short notice UPS gave me to start this week. Oh well!

What state you in just curious I'm also in the northeast?

-Do you even deliver bro-

MassWineGuy

I'm in the northeast, too. In Massachusetts. Just wait until you start driving in the snow and ice. Talk about nirvana.

Bad move in general. I hope you at least explained why you had to do this.

The Driver

I drive.
I'm in the northeast, too. In Massachusetts. Just wait until you start driving in the snow and ice. Talk about nirvana.

Bad move in general. I hope you at least explained why you had to do this.

Oh yeah, I'm not pleased I was put in this position. I want this job to be my career so I'll deal. They'll live.

Pooter

Congrats OP! Just don't let your guard down while qualifying. :)

I prefer off the street hires (luck) than supervisors who gave union members a hard time. Bad mouth the union and then join it.

The Driver

I drive.
Congrats OP! Just don't let your guard down while qualifying. :)

I prefer off the street hires (luck) than supervisors who gave union members a hard time. Bad mouth the union and then join it.

I'm not in a Right to Work state anyway. I have zero interest in being a supervisor, ever. I just want to drive and deliver, health willing.

MassWineGuy

I have zero interest in being a supervisor, ever. I just want to drive and deliver, health willing.

Never say never. There are definite downsides to it, but also some decent upsides. Like making a ton more money from stock options or similar stuff. You have a wife and two kids to think of. College isn't getting any cheaper. And frankly, $70,000 to even $100,000 a year in the northeast isn't a lot of money with a family. Don't ask how I know this.

Also, if you're a decent and fair human being, such people are always needed in management, especially those who rose through the ranks from being a driver. The guy who was my sup is a really fine person and everyone else in the center agrees. I asked him why he gave up driving after seven years and he told me he accepted and never gave it a second thought after being asked to become a sup.

One huge point he mentioned: He didn't want to spend the next 20-30 years getting in and out of a truck 300 times a day.

Never say never. There are definite downsides to it, but also some decent upsides. Like making a ton more money from stock options or similar stuff. You have a wife and two kids to think of. College isn't getting any cheaper. And frankly, $70,000 to even $100,000 a year in the northeast isn't a lot of money with a family. Don't ask how I know this.

Also, if you're a decent and fair human being, such people are always needed in management, especially those who rose through the ranks from being a driver. The guy who was my sup is a really fine person and everyone else in the center agrees. I asked him why he gave up driving after seven years and he told me he accepted and never gave it a second thought after being asked to become a sup.

One huge point he mentioned: He didn't want to spend the next 20-30 years getting in and out of a truck 300 times a day.
Decent people, do not make It as a supervisor at Brown! If your not a prick,you cant be a Sup!

MassWineGuy

I disagree. I think that you need to be able to BE a prick sometimes. Let's face it, not every driver is a model image of how the job is done. Some are definitely lazy, others are jerks. And some are both at the same time. Like any other child, they'd need to be scolded and perhaps disciplined. There absolutely are sups out there who are fair and pleasant (enough) to work with.

The Driver

I drive.
In my short time over last peak I met all the supervisors. They're all professional but don't mince words if you're screwing up. I'm a grown man, I can take a little criticism and don't let it get under my skin.

Bigdog12

That good, too bad you couldn't have planned it so you'd be out for the summer. My knee feels pretty good actually...through the miracle of doing nothing..lol. Had an mri, torn menicus...I'll eventually need surgery but I'll put that off for as long as I can.

brown 58, man I chose to put off surgery too, I think you should try to get it asap or its going to bother you forever.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I disagree. I think that you need to be able to BE a prick sometimes. Let's face it, not every driver is a model image of how the job is done. Some are definitely lazy, others are jerks. And some are both at the same time. Like any other child, they'd need to be scolded and perhaps disciplined. There absolutely are sups out there who are fair and pleasant (enough) to work with.
Other than two peak seasons as a "high end helper"....do you work for ups?? No offense, I realize you're older and have life experience, but if you've never really been an employee, you have no clue how it is at Brown. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but it's true!

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
brown 58, man I chose to put off surgery too, I think you should try to get it asap or its going to bother you forever.
I'm thinking about doing it in Sept...after summer peak is done and I can be back in time for xmas peak. As much as I'd love to be out on STD and actually enjoy Christmas one year....25 hrs OT a week is not something I can afford to turn down.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

This isn't 1990. Most new sups will never make what drivers make and that's including the miniscule stock options and bonuses they get now. Ups supervisor is not the job it once was.