Ground Driver, Am I Being Underpaid?

It will be fine

Then, do it, and quit talking about something you don't really understand.
Lol. Doesn't stop you! You constantly bring up arguments that have been addressed in the ISP model. How many Ground contractors and drivers do you actually know? You make :censored2: up all the time. Ground drivers on food stamps, please. I don't know how many kids you need to get food stamps making $60k a year.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My four year degree in business gives me the credibility to comment on this topic.

The Ground model makes a lot of sense from a purely business perspective.

It sucks for the employees.

My degree exceeds yours, so does that mean I have more credibility? It sucks for the employees and sucks for anyone else that works in this industry because Ground is WalMart On Wheels, a lowest common denominator employer that drags everyone else down with it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Lol. Doesn't stop you! You constantly bring up arguments that have been addressed in the ISP model. How many Ground contractors and drivers do you actually know? You make :censored2: up all the time. Ground drivers on food stamps, please. I don't know how many kids you need to get food stamps making $60k a year.

The ISP model is a temporary solution to Fred's "problem" with Ground. For now, it's legal. We'll see how long it lasts before it is challenged. I know plenty of Ground drivers and several contractors since I'm on the road every day and see them constantly at docks, customers etc. I also know Ground OTR drivers and contractors. Hey, if Ground wasn't a scam in the first place, why did FedEx get busted for the single driver/contractor model? Any answers?

What Ground driver makes $60k per year? ZERO, as in NONE. My math shows a Ground driver making $650 per week (about average) at 50 weeks per year making a whopping $32,500....with no benefits.

Where do Ground drivers receive medical care? Why, at the ER, of course. And when they don't pay their bills, I get to do it for them, as do you and the rest of us in the form of higher medical costs and taxes.

Plenty of Ground drivers qualify for aid because their incomes are so low. Go on defending the scam, and perhaps you'll be promoted to Ground Dano.

The harder you suck, the higher you go.

I talk to the ground guys on my route and those guys are getting straight up bent over and raped.

One courier said he gets about 150 stops a day, about $500 a week, pays for his own gas and truck. screw that.

The only way I see you making any real money from ground is if you own your route and sell it back.

It will be fine

The ISP model is a temporary solution to Fred's "problem" with Ground. For now, it's legal. We'll see how long it lasts before it is challenged. I know plenty of Ground drivers and several contractors since I'm on the road every day and see them constantly at docks, customers etc. I also know Ground OTR drivers and contractors. Hey, if Ground wasn't a scam in the first place, why did FedEx get busted for the single driver/contractor model? Any answers?

What Ground driver makes $60k per year? ZERO, as in NONE. My math shows a Ground driver making $650 per week (about average) at 50 weeks per year making a whopping $32,500....with no benefits.

Where do Ground drivers receive medical care? Why, at the ER, of course. And when they don't pay their bills, I get to do it for them, as do you and the rest of us in the form of higher medical costs and taxes.

Plenty of Ground drivers qualify for aid because their incomes are so low. Go on defending the scam, and perhaps you'll be promoted to Ground Dano.

The harder you suck, the higher you go.
Well if you know "several" contractors you're clearly qualified to speak for the other 8,495 throughout the country. You see a driver occasionally at a dock so you know everything about their life?

Single van owners were treated like employees. That issue has been addressed. Get over it.

You have no way of knowing what the average salary of ground drivers is. You couldn't, stop pretending you do. Knowing a few guys does not extend to the entire country. I know in my area, and I personally know about 75 contractors, if you paid $650 week that driver would be stolen from you by another contractor in a second. A qualified trained and approved driver is worth much more than that.

Have you heard of the ACA? I believe those issues have been addressed as well. It's also very common for guys to be covered under their wife's plan. Individual coverage is completely affordable with average wages at ground.

Repeating the same hyperbole doesn't make it true.

BigTex61

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in my little slice of Heaven in the Great State Of Texas , it's dam ugly for the ground drivers. I run into about 5 or 6 of them from time to time, and all of them want me to give them some secret connection st Express they can call to get "hired". They seem to be pretty nice boys, but they're getting flat out bent over and violated. The highest paid one I've spoken with grosses 700 per week with not one benefit. He does get an extra 100 per week during December. And he's the highest paid one.

robdabanks

I must be in a good location, bc I don't know anyone that makes 600 bucks a week. I guess it all depends on where you work out of and who you work for.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't know about the rest of the country, but in my little slice of Heaven in the Great State Of Texas , it's dam ugly for the ground drivers. I run into about 5 or 6 of them from time to time, and all of them want me to give them some secret connection st Express they can call to get "hired". They seem to be pretty nice boys, but they're getting flat out bent over and violated. The highest paid one I've spoken with grosses 700 per week with not one benefit. He does get an extra 100 per week during December. And he's the highest paid one.
Moving from Ground to Express is actually easy. We've seen several do it. Not sure they are much happier. Just another kind of BS to put up with.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well if you know "several" contractors you're clearly qualified to speak for the other 8,495 throughout the country. You see a driver occasionally at a dock so you know everything about their life?

Single van owners were treated like employees. That issue has been addressed. Get over it.

You have no way of knowing what the average salary of ground drivers is. You couldn't, stop pretending you do. Knowing a few guys does not extend to the entire country. I know in my area, and I personally know about 75 contractors, if you paid $650 week that driver would be stolen from you by another contractor in a second. A qualified trained and approved driver is worth much more than that.

Have you heard of the ACA? I believe those issues have been addressed as well. It's also very common for guys to be covered under their wife's plan. Individual coverage is completely affordable with average wages at ground.

Repeating the same hyperbole doesn't make it true.

Changing from single contractor to having several drivers hasn't really changed the essence of the scam. You're obviously a believer in Mr. Smith and the Libertarian principles of business he also follows.

I'm going to call you Tattoo Dano from now on. A good fit?

bbsam

Staff member
Changing from single contractor to having several drivers hasn't really changed the essence of the scam. You're obviously a believer in Mr. Smith and the Libertarian principles of business he also follows.

Do you think you could settle down now and explain what this "essence of the scam" is? You say a swindle is going on; who is being swindled? Who is being offered something and then not getting it?

It will be fine

I don't spend much time thinking about Fred. I'm actually pretty far to the left in terms of ideology. That's why my drivers are paid so well, I spread it around as much as possible. I do understand that we live in a capitalist nation and work within that system to my benefit.
Call me whatever you like. Apparently your incredible education that you always boast about didn't teach you to argue without name calling.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't spend much time thinking about Fred. I'm actually pretty far to the left in terms of ideology. That's why my drivers are paid so well, I spread it around as much as possible. I do understand that we live in a capitalist nation and work within that system to my benefit.
Call me whatever you like. Apparently your incredible education that you always boast about didn't teach you to argue without name calling.

How much do you pay your drivers? You sound like an apologist for Ground/Fred, much like Dano, who is paid by FedEx to come onto public forums like this one to spread disinformation. I mentioned my education only in the context of Upstate bragging he had a Business Degree and was "qualified" to discuss Ground business principles. Therefore, based on his logic, I must be more qualified. I happen to disagree with Upstate on this, and almost everything else.

Ground is predatory capitalism. Do you disagree? It's a business model specifically designed to exploit the loopholes that basically provide a federal subsidy for underpaid workers, ala' WalMart.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Do you think you could settle down now and explain what this "essence of the scam" is? You say a swindle is going on; who is being swindled? Who is being offered something and then not getting it?

Sure. Underpaid workers who are really employees who get taxpayer subsidized healthcare and benefits such as ER services for Medical and in some cases, public assistance, because Ground is not a living wage job. FedEx pretends that you are an independent businessperson, when you are, in fact, a de facto prop employee of FDX. You exist to make it all seem legitimate, because it's your business...even though Fred runs it. You pick up most of the operating expenses, but FDX calls the shots.

bbsam

Staff member
Sure. Underpaid workers who are really employees who get taxpayer subsidized healthcare and benefits such as ER services for Medical and in some cases, public assistance, because Ground is not a living wage job. FedEx pretends that you are an independent businessperson, when you are, in fact, a de facto prop employee of FDX. You exist to make it all seem legitimate, because it's your business...even though Fred runs it. You pick up most of the operating expenses, but FDX calls the shots.
Nobody you have mentioned is getting swindled. Everybody walks in with eyes wide open.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Nobody you have mentioned is getting swindled. Everybody walks in with eyes wide open.

Sure they do. That's why Ground has zero legal issues, zero safety issues, and zero issues over mis-categorization of employees. You need to get off the Kool-Aid and get some help.

bbsam

Staff member
Sure they do. That's why Ground has zero legal issues, zero safety issues, and zero issues over mis-categorization of employees. You need to get off the Kool-Aid and get some help.
I'm afraid that in the current business and political climate it is you who will need the help. Good look.