I Smell A Thief, I Think.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do not approve of stealing. Personally, if an employee is stealing then that employee does not deserve to be an employee.

Steve, tread lightly here. Get your ducks in a row but, by all means, press the issue if you have the information to do so. If what you suspect is true, he is not only stealing from a few customers, he is stealing from each of us.

wisedragonfly

Here's the facts. Said driver has had umpteen missing pkgs, bad dr's, follow ups, etc... A customer came up to me and told me that this driver sold him a phone. I put 2+2 and that inkling is what I came up with. Does anyone know of a driver that sells phones? Maybe this is a side business, but I would assume that you could buy a cheaper phone from a phone store.

Does that help?

Even if the driver has a side business selling phones, they are not allowed to sell while on UPS time. It still makes a case for a L/P investigation.

I agree with you, it sure sounds like something weird is going on.

wisedragonfly

It was hypothetical till post #5, when the facts were posted.

I understand the question is hypothetical. So give the information to L/P hypothetically and allow them to check it out.

I'm sure LP has a protocol to follow to see if a full investigation is required. If they can not find anything that warrants a full investigation, then no harm done. If the investigation is warranted, then they will act upon it.

I really doubt that L/P would investigate every single time one employee THINKS another employee is stealing.

If the driver has a illegitimate side business and was selling phones to his customers on his own time, then that information would come out. No harm done. Case closed.

If the driver has a illegitimate side business and selling while on UPS time, that I'm sure is against policy. What would happen if the driver was found guilty of stealing UPS time? Perhaps they would get written up and get a meeting with the shop steward, right? The Union would back the driver and UPS would paid for the grievance filed by the driver.

However, if the driver is indeed stealing merchandise from UPS packages, they need to be terminated, without a doubt. The only way that can happen is through L/P.

Personally, I would only discuss the information with L/P, that way the information remains confidential and not all over the package center.

bluehdmc

Back to the original question. If the guy who bought the phone activated it the ESN would show it as a stolen phone, so they could track it back if LP wanted to. If this guy is stealing stuff he will get caught eventually. We had a driver "resign" over a stolen cell phone. The info I got is sorta 3rd hand but when the phone was activated for his daughter or somethng that's how it got back to him.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Back to the original question. If the guy who bought the phone activated it the ESN would show it as a stolen phone, so they could track it back if LP wanted to. If this guy is stealing stuff he will get caught eventually. We had a driver "resign" over a stolen cell phone. The info I got is sorta 3rd hand but when the phone was activated for his daughter or something that's how it got back to him.
Same here, and our guy had 27 years in. Threw it all away for a phone that he could have gotten for free with a new service contract. Unbelievable.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Its too hard to consistently steal packages and get away with it. The driver will get caught - its just a matter of time. I would let LP do there job. Its what they get paid to do.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
By informing them or by letting them find out by themselves?
Just do whatever it is that your conscience tells you to do. If you hate thieves as much as I do and have facts, not assumptions, let somebody know. If a guy will steal he will steal from anyone and that is not the co-worker you need because he is in effect stealing from all of us. Just be sure that if you accuse him you can back up the accusation with facts and not assumptions. If you are wrong this could could go very badly for you and him.

P

pickup

Eye surgery (cataract) and I'm suppose to take it easy (no nut cuttin') so I'm sitting around bored and irritable. Hope ya'll appreciate my efforts!

Take comfort in the fact that the one eyed man is king amongst the blind.:wink2:(he's not winking, he had cataract surgery as well)

P

pickup

To answer Steve's question,

I personally would talk to the driver, one on one, and voice my concerns.
Two things I abhor are a thief and a liar.
If I knew, for fact, that he was stealing I would "Rat" him out in a heartbeat.

This is a good piece of advice. From what we know about you , Steve , you're not the type to shy away from confrontation. By talking to him, you'll probably get the same response that Robert Redford did in the natural when he had a talk with a fellow player about "throwing" games but at least you'll have tried to steer a fellow brother back onto the right path. A thief is usually a liar so he is not going to admit to it but you can point out to him how easy it is for lp to figure this out and point out examples of drivers that did get busted.

fethrs

Eye surgery (cataract) and I'm suppose to take it easy (no nut cuttin') so I'm sitting around bored and irritable. Hope ya'll appreciate my efforts!
Hoax, hope you get over that iirtabiltiy. had a corneal transplant, I was a bit cranky after it. I think you're doing just fine.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've decided that i will not say anything, unless I get proof positive info that this is actually happening. If that ever happens, I will confront the felon and tell him that he needs to fess up. If he doesn't, I will walk into the office, shop steward in hand, and tell all that I know.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

images