Just Checking In......and out.

Re-Raise

Helen if I were a betting man, which I am , I would wager you will not get an answer to your question.

He tends to reply with very vague half-truths and your question is way too specific for him.

And I agree with you the $40 figure seems impossible if his claim is true that he works 9.5 hours a day at full pay. Disregarding his claim to still be driving air also that comes to over $1400 before taxes. the $40 dollar figure is less than 3% of his gross pay.

A couple of other holes in his story. He claims to work 9.5 hours everyday, his dispatching seems to be a little more exact than they are at our center!

I might have a 10 hour day followed by two 8.5 days.

He also says he thinks he is full-time. What UPS employee do you know who isn't sure of their status. Every full-time employee I know can even tell you the exact seniority date they went full-time off the top of their head.

New Englander

Just curious as to how much they took out of your paycheck when you first started and was only working PT. I wouldn't even think it would be legal for them to leave you only $40 each paycheck. I hope you are going back to the courts soon to get this dire situation remedied.

He's a liar.

No court is going to do that. You would be unable to pay rent, utilities and have food.

New Englander

You'd be surprised what the courts can do.

You honestly think a court is going to leave him with $160 to $200 a month from his paycheck?
He'd end up homeless and unable to pay the child support :)

I think he's just one of those guys that caught a fish this <----------------------------> BIG!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You honestly think a court is going to leave him with $160 to $200 a month from his paycheck?
He'd end up homeless and unable to pay the child support :)

I think he's just one of those guys that caught a fish this <----------------------------> BIG!

I was ordered to pay $620 per month when I was part time. That was most of my check, if not all of it after taxes. I had to go out and find a suitable full time gig while waiting to go full time. Problem was that I did a lot of air cover and eventually cover driver work, which was great at times and then sporadic at best.

If BBAG is working as a driver, as much as he says, he should be taking home more than what he says. He says he even works Saturdays, which would be overtime, if he worked Mon.-Fri. There sure is something "fishy" about this story, but do to the vagueness, we may never find out what it is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He's a liar.

No court is going to do that. You would be unable to pay rent, utilities and have food.

In fairness to BBAG, I think his support payments were set based upon his income when he owned his own business and he just hasn't had a chance to go back to court to get it adjusted. It if it were me, and I were only bringing home $40, I'm pretty sure I'd get off my butt and go back to court and have this adjusted.

And here I thought $250/week was high!!

sano

I wonder if we have a cultural barrier here.
I have followed BBRAG's post since he joined. Is it possible that there is a wide difference in the thought process between self employed small business owners and UPS people. Why I ask this is I also came to UPS after owning my own businesses for since i was 17. The things that BBAG said that he was called arrogant for didn't sound arrogant to me.
As a small business owner there is a certain element of arrogance required just to get in business when the odds say you will fail. where as a union member it is all about waiting your turn.
I don't know if I am making sense or not, but the difference in the two thought processes may be why BBAG ticked some people off.
Don't get me wrong I am not saying small business owners are better in any way (my last business basically failed), but there could be a difference in thought process.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have followed BBRAG's post since he joined. Is it possible that there is a wide difference in the thought process between self employed small business owners and UPS people. Why I ask this is I also came to UPS after owning my own businesses for since i was 17. The things that BBAG said that he was called arrogant for didn't sound arrogant to me.
As a small business owner there is a certain element of arrogance required just to get in business when the odds say you will fail. where as a union member it is all about waiting your turn.
I don't know if I am making sense or not, but the difference in the two thought processes may be why BBAG ticked some people off.
Don't get me wrong I am not saying small business owners are better in any way (my last business basically failed), but there could be a difference in thought process.

You make plenty of sense!
Entrepreneurs are not welcome at UPS - not even in management. I have heard from two different consultants that entrepreneurs do not fit well within the UPS organization (as is the case with most large corporations).

I can imagine entrepreneurs would fit in within the union ranks even less so.

Good insight...not sure it fits but good insight nonetheless.

Re-Raise

You make perfect sense. I completely agree with this.

He once made the comment to me that I was just bitter about his fast track at UPS because other drivers at UPS had passed me by like him.

I am sure other UPS employees like myself would have the same response. Passed me by to where?

We don't compete agaist each other and we are rewarded by seniority more than our abilities.

That being said he still stretches the truth to present a more favorable picture of his position at UPS.

To say that is indicative of small business owners would be unfair to small business owners.

helenofcalifornia

Excellent post Sano! It kind of makes sense, but, BBAG still has to work at UPS with fellow UPSers and will have to adjust to the UPS way. Doesn't work any other way.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
He's a liar.

First of all I have not followed this thread BUT, I think its unfair to call him a liar.
When you owe child support, and they find a way to grab it, they can and do. (this was not true a few short decades ago, but it is NOW) I have seen drivers get a check for less than 1.00, when a decision to grab their check comes through the courts. They do not care that you also have to live. And I have heard from a guy recently on route who had the same thing happen. They grabbed his whole check.
Now in fairness you should not owe support. Kids have to be taken care of. And if your job changes you must immediately go to the courts and get it changed. It does not go retro, you must notify them immediately. You cant just let it keep piling up.
When I was getting child support, there was no enforcement. Now they are very pro-children. As they should be. And they are not kind about it, at all. And the very point of having rent, utilities and food to pay for is why they do it. The custodial parent has these things to pay also for the children of both parents, and it isnt fair for you to be able to have these things if your children do not.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
First of all I have not followed this thread BUT, I think its unfair to call him a liar.
When you owe child support, and they find a way to grab it, they can and do. (this was not true a few short decades ago, but it is NOW) I have seen drivers get a check for less than 1.00, when a decision to grab their check comes through the courts. They do not care that you also have to live. And I have heard from a guy recently on route who had the same thing happen. They grabbed his whole check.
Now in fairness you should not owe support. Kids have to be taken care of. And if your job changes you must immediately go to the courts and get it changed. It does not go retro, you must notify them immediately. You cant just let it keep piling up.
When I was getting child support, there was no enforcement. Now they are very pro-children. As they should be. And they are not kind about it, at all. And the very point of having rent, utilities and food to pay for is why they do it. The custodial parent has these things to pay also for the children of both parents, and it isnt fair for you to be able to have these things if your children do not.

Just as it shouldn't be fair for the "custodial" parent to be receiving all of this cash, while shacked up with J. Paul Getty. I know, I know, not his kids, right? Sorry, that doesn't fly, when you're all living as one big happy family and I have to work 2 jobs for almost 18 hrs a day to amke ends meet. PHEW! Sorry, I know, should have started a new thread.:angry-very2:

PS: J. Paul Getty was all I had, google him if you don't understand.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just as it shouldn't be fair for the "custodial" parent to be receiving all of this cash, while shacked up with J. Paul Getty. I know, I know, not his kids, right? Sorry, that doesn't fly, when you're all living as one big happy family and I have to work 2 jobs for almost 18 hrs a day to amke ends meet. PHEW! Sorry, I know, should have started a new thread.:angry-very2:

PS: J. Paul Getty was all I had, google him if you don't understand.

That was an earfull!

Google J. Paul Getty's grandson if you don't understand.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
it is none of your business who your ex marries. you owe the child support. it ought to be the same if she stays single or marries a doctor or lawyer.

that being said, there is a difference in the rules when you are involved with child support. in most courts, you are innocent until proved guilty by the state. in child support court, any charge they make you are guilty of, unless you can prove in triplicate you are innocent. no matter how much that costs you.

let me rephrase that a bit. the court can make a charge, any charge, say that you did not pay support for may through october of 2003. they dont have to supply a thing to make the charge, their word only. you have to bring in reciepts, canceled checks, etc etc etc to prove you did.

and if you dont pay, you end up in jail, and we all know how much money you can make there to pay your child support with........

the system was broke as hell before, they fixed it with all the rights going to the state. once in the system, parents can no longer make agreements outside of the court without their permission.

i see this as big brother at its finest. and the way this country is going, we will see it at many different levels and in other areas of life.

d

atatbl

LOL. You finally admit what we wanted and say you aren't apologizing to me. lol. Thanks for the apology, I am glad I was the first one to make you question why people on here think you are an idiot. Calling you a troll would have been a compliment IMO. I knew you were for real. Which makes feel even worse for you. I feel bad for you, I really do. I think you are motivated by the right things. I have no doubt you work hard, also for the right reasons. The only reason I was blunt with you and went about it in a adolescent way is that it usually will elicit a direct response. You wouldn't respond directly even then. Now, you are communicating in a way that members here will respond to positively, kudos. Also, thanks for acknowledging me as one of the people that actually got to you. I still know that I had an effect on you IRL. I hoped it was for the better, now I know it was.