Local 177 November 6th General meeting

ManInBrown

Do you seriously believe that the company won't want anything in return for a change in seniority?
I posted this once before in another thread. I spoke to a feeder steward weeks ago. Per the Hall "The company will not be willing to let us do this, without getting something HUGE back in return. Start with giving back our option week and go from there is what he was told. He was also told it's for everything, or nothing. Not just feeder. For everything. PT to FT package, FT package to FT package center transfers. It cannot be done for one select classification. It does not work like that.

This thing is DOA. The petition has a few hundred sigs from 9000 members. I'm totally against it. And I will be affected when I transfer to feeder soon, and I'm still against it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I posted this once before in another thread. I spoke to a feeder steward weeks ago. Per the hall "The company will not be willing to let us do this, without getting something HUGE back in return. Start with giving back our option week and go from there is what he was told. He was also told it's for everything, or nothing. Not just feeder. For everything. PT to FT package, FT package to FT package center transfers. It cannot be done for one select classification. It does not work like that.

This thing is DOA. The petition has a few hundred sigs from 9000 members. I'm totally against it. And I will be affected when I transfer to feeder soon, and I'm still against it.
That's just straight up nonsense dude. The company doesn't really care about our internal seniority rules, it's just a union thing. I mean they would certainly prefer not to have a seniority system at all, but since we have one regardless all they care is about is having a butt in every seat when the bidding is done, it makes no difference to them whether Joe bids ahead of Bill or vice versa. Whoever told you all that stuff about having to give up your option week is just trying to scare you.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

That's just straight up nonsense dude. The company doesn't really care about our internal seniority rules, it's just a union thing. I mean they would certainly prefer not to have a seniority system at all, but since we have one regardless all they care is about is having a butt in every seat when the bidding is done, it makes no difference to them whether Joe bids ahead of Bill or vice versa. Whoever told you all that stuff about having to give up your option week is just trying to scare you.
You must not work for ups if you believe that they won't care and won't want anything in return.......ill tell you right now ups wants the day after thanksgiving to be mandatory and every Saturday till Christmas also mandatory......also do you believe that this seniority change is more important that working conditions at ups......do you believe the members are willing to strike over seniority?

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I think the lunch language needs to be changed as it is too stringent and needs more options like some of the other supplements have.

Capone

All the give backs you speak about are all about financial and logistical reasons for UPS to want, when it comes to seniority, the way the Union structures it's seniority, like a one date seniority system this is amongst Teamsters it has no Financial or logistical bearing on the company. when it comes to seniority it's not a bargaining chip never was and never should be, actually the company would love nothing more than a simplified one date seniority system they should be giving us something for that.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You must not work for ups if you believe that they won't care and won't want anything in return.......ill tell you right now ups wants the day after thanksgiving to be mandatory and every Saturday till Christmas also mandatory......also do you believe that this seniority change is more important that working conditions at ups......do you believe the members are willing to strike over seniority?
Day after Thanksgiving is already a regular workday here and as you may have heard UPS is going to be delivering Saturday all year long, neither of these things have anything to do with union seniority rules. Making a change from classification to one list is strictly union business, it doesn't have to be negotiated with the company. If your local decides to make that change (and I'm not saying they will as there is clearly opposition to it) they will simply notify the company
of the effective date.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Day after Thanksgiving is already a regular workday here and as you may have heard UPS is going to be delivering Saturday all year long, neither of these things have anything to do with union seniority rules. Making a change from classification to one list is strictly union business, it doesn't have to be negotiated with the company. If your local decides to make that change (and I'm not saying they will as there is clearly opposition to it) they will simply notify the company
of the effective date.
In 177 the day after thanksgiving is optional as well as 6th punch Saturday's in December.....drivers choice if they want to work those days......ups wants them as mandatory days......do you guys really not know that or are you just spreading lies

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In 177 the day after thanksgiving is optional as well as 6th punch Saturday's in December.....drivers choice if they want to work those days......ups wants them as mandatory days......do you guys really not know that or are you just spreading lies
That's all very well, but it still doesn't have anything to do with union seniority rules.

I know this... The jones guy is not in local 177.... As for seniority he is right, seniority Is not a bargaining chip... It is negotiated within the union... If so then why didn't the company ask for anything in 93? Why didnt the company ask for anything when it was change over 60 years ago?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not in 177, just an interested observer. In the Atlantic Area we carry our seniority with us wherever we go. One thing that I think is very telling is the fact that in the places that do have one FT seniority list there is no grassroots movement to try and change it to classification, it's only in the areas with classification seniority that you have large numbers of teamsters who are unhappy with the seniority rules. That right there should tell you something.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I know this... The jones guy is not in local 177.... As for seniority he is right, seniority Is not a bargaining chip... It is negotiated within the union... If so then why didn't the company ask for anything in 93? Why didnt the company ask for anything when it was change over 60 years ago?
It's a different company than it was in 93 and a much different company than it was 60 years ago......in 93 ups cared about service and customers...do they now?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Why is it in a contract in detail needing ups approval if ups doesn't care about it.....if they didn't care it would say ups will follow the unions seniority policy
It's written in the contract because that's what everyone refers to for guidance. UPS accepted union seniority rules when they accepted the union, the union has never negotiated with company on how they would determine seniority among it's members.

rama'nfeeders

Has anyone ever been part of the National Negotiating Committee? Go find a few of these people and ask them what's it like to negotiate anything with UPS maybe than you will see why this company will ask for something in return. I know a few of them and they say the company is ruthless about everything. So anyone that says they will not ask for anything in return is clueless.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Has anyone ever been part of the National Negotiating Committee? Go find a few of these people and ask them what's it like to negotiate anything with UPS maybe than you will see why this company will ask for something in return. I know a few of them and they say the company is ruthless about everything. So anyone that says they will not ask for anything in return is clueless.
Union seniority practices aren't negotiable, it's an internal union matter. If you have an E-board that would seriously give the company veto power over their seniority practices then you need a new E-board.