Returntosender

IMG_04071.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
I see them hillbillies in Tennessee already stepped forward on the advise of their lawyer and said they are the ones who won. They did this before they even went to the lotto office. That lawyer must be a real loser.

Overpaid Union Thug

I see them hillbillies in Tennessee already stepped forward on the advise of their lawyer and said they are the ones who won. They did this before they even went to the lotto office. That lawyer must be a real loser.
What makes you think they are hillbillies. They live in a small town suburb of Memphis. That's nowhere near the. Appalachians. And are both in successful careers.

rod

Retired 22 years
What makes you think they are hillbillies. They live in a small town suburb of Memphis. That's nowhere near the. Appalachians. And are both in successful careers.

I have relatives in Tenn.------to me all Tennessee'ns are hillbillies-----most of them are proud to admit it. (anyway they can't be too smart to announce to the world that they are multimillionaires that early--- even before going to the lotto office). Maybe a better word would have been "idiots".

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Yes , idiots .
They think that life will stay normal .
By now their phones will be ringing constantly , people they have no idea who they are will be showing up at their home & work .
In order to protect themselves and their family a quick trip out of town will be needed until permanent security can be arranged .

clean hairy

My feeling in this case is to wait until 7 days before the deadline to claim the cash.
There will be other big jackpots between now and then, the public will pretty much lose interest in who won this one.
Gives a person time to still live a normal life, and line up everything without rushing.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have relatives in Tenn.------to me all Tennessee'ns are hillbillies-----most of them are proud to admit it. (anyway they can't be too smart to announce to the world that they are multimillionaires that early--- even before going to the lotto office). Maybe a better word would have been "idiots".
I live in Tennessee and can tell you with certainty that the majority of us are not hillbillies nor do the majority of us claim to be hillbillies. Let alone proudly. Any that do don't represent the views of the average Tennessean and need to brush up on the demographics and geography of their own state.

Hillbillies, by definition (below), live in rural mountain areas. Particularly the Appalachians. The Appalachians are a small slice of the Eastern third of our state (and extend far north and south of Tennessee) and aren't even predominantly settled by the people that fit the definition of what a hillbilly is.

"Hillbilly is a term (often derogatory) for people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas in the United States, primarily in Appalachia and the Ozarks. Due to its strongly stereotypical connotations, the term can be offensive to those Americans of Appalachian or Ozark heritage."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly

Your views about Tennesseans are based on assumptions and ignorance. Class dismissed.

Overpaid Union Thug

The couple in Tennessee are not idiots for going public. They can't be anonymous. Only six states even allow winners to be anonymous.

Taken from the Tennessee lottery website:

"Can the winner of a large Lottery prize remain anonymous?

It is the policy of the Tennessee Lottery to treat such information as a public record. The Lottery will therefore disclose the name, home state and home town of winners if a request is received for such information."

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The couple in Tennessee are not idiots for going public. They can't be anonymous. Only six states even allow winners to be anonymous.

Taken from the Tennessee lottery website:

"Can the winner of a large Lottery prize remain anonymous?

It is the policy of the Tennessee Lottery to treat such information as a public record. The Lottery will therefore disclose the name, home state and home town of winners if a request is received for such information."
In Massachusetts we have a similar law , but many winners use a lawyer to set up a blind trust to collect the money . I seen winners of $50,000 use the blind trust . The lawyer turns in the ticket after all the proper paperwork is completed ; other trusts to protect their family members , bank accounts have been set up , and such .
Using a blind trust keeps the family to maintain their current lifestyle without interference from others . ( as long as they can keep a secret )

I have always planned on doing this .
The name on the blind trust would be a name from a map at least 50-100 miles away .
And to explain any new purchases with cash , I would claim to be either be a pimp or selling drugs .