rod

Retired 22 years
The couple in Tennessee are not idiots for going public. They can't be anonymous. Only six states even allow winners to be anonymous.

Taken from the Tennessee lottery website:

"Can the winner of a large Lottery prize remain anonymous?

It is the policy of the Tennessee Lottery to treat such information as a public record. The Lottery will therefore disclose the name, home state and home town of winners if a request is received for such information."

rod

Retired 22 years
The couple in Tennessee are not idiots for going public. They can't be anonymous. Only six states even allow winners to be anonymous.

Taken from the Tennessee lottery website:

"Can the winner of a large Lottery prize remain anonymous?

It is the policy of the Tennessee Lottery to treat such information as a public record. The Lottery will therefore disclose the name, home state and home town of winners if a request is received for such information."

No one said they shouldn't go public IF THEY HAD TOO. What I said was they were idiots for announcing to the world they had in their possession a 500 million dollar ticket before it was even confirmed by the lottery people. The "idiots" even took it to NY before turning it in. What if one of their fellow hillbilles robbed them?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
No one said they shouldn't go public IF THEY HAD TOO. What I said was they were idiots for announcing to the world they had in their possession a 500 million dollar ticket before it was even confirmed by the lottery people. The "idiots" even took it to NY before turning it in. What if one of their fellow hillbilles robbed them?
LMAO!!!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We had a feeder driver here in Texas who bought a Texas lottery ticket on his way home one night. He won. I'm not sure how many millions it was, but it was significant. He didn't tell anyone at UPS, just called in sick several days in a row. In Texas, you have to go to Austin to get your money. He went into a car dealership and bought 2 cars, and paid cash. Someone at the dealership saw on his paperwork that he worked for UPS. She knew someone who worked at UPS, so she asked them if they knew so and so? Let the cat out of the bag. He never came back to work. He had been there long enough to retire, anyway.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a feeder driver here in Texas who bought a Texas lottery ticket on his way home one night. He won. I'm not sure how many millions it was, but it was significant. He didn't tell anyone at UPS, just called in sick several days in a row. In Texas, you have to go to Austin to get your money. He went into a car dealership and bought 2 cars, and paid cash. Someone at the dealership saw on his paperwork that he worked for UPS. She knew someone who worked at UPS, so she asked them if they knew so and so? Let the cat out of the bag. He never came back to work. He had been there long enough to retire, anyway.

All right---finally a true success story.

Cementups

Box Monkey
When do you return to work?

Tentatively 2/1. But I'm not 100% sure on that. Still have more pain than I think I should have at this point. And some of motions aren't quite full range. I could probably do my job but they say they don't want me back until I'm 100%. My fracture is completely healed but I'm worried my rotator cuff may be torn as well. But no one ever did and MRI up to this point.

Overpaid Union Thug

And exactly how are you more qualified than them or their lawyer to make that decision? You are not. And lottery numbers aren't hard to read. Simply compare the numbers on the ticket to those that were drawn. Simple really.

If you really think everyone in Tennessee is a hillbilly then you are, in fact, either a blooming idiot or a simple minded ignoramus.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It didn't hurt either. It has no bearing on anything.

Sure it does. While I certainly did not think that they were hillbillies, I did think less of them when they chose to bring their dog to the ceremony.

In NY lottery winnings of more than $600 have to be claimed in person in Schenectady. I can only imagine their reaction if someone came to claim their "big check" and decided to bring their dog with them.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sure it does. While I certainly did not think that they were hillbillies, I did think less of them when they chose to bring their dog to the ceremony.

In NY lottery winnings of more than $600 have to be claimed in person in Schenectady. I can only imagine their reaction if someone came to claim their "big check" and decided to bring their dog with them.
No, it doesn't. So, they love their dog. What's the big deal? They are an educated, sophisticated, and intelligent couple that loves their dog and just happened to win the lottery. That will not change. No matter how much a few people on an online UPS forum nitpick at the couple's lives.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Do you mean to say that you wouldn't have taken Rowdy?

Ms.PacMan

They tweeked the Powerball lottery last July because sales were down 24%. They added 10 more white balls so it would be harder to win and make the jackpots grow to mania inducing numbers and reduced the red balls to make it easier to win $4.

I think their sales strategy worked.

They tweeked the Powerball lottery last July because sales were down 24%. They added 10 more white balls so it would be harder to win and make the jackpots grow to mania inducing numbers and reduced the red balls to make it easier to win $4.

I think their sales strategy worked.
Because some MIT students figured out the code. That's why.