No one want to drive in Detroit

pns2clt

Not entirely true.

The city of Detroit is primarily served by the Woodbridge facility, which is a medium-sized, two-center building. Detroit is just a small portion of the building's volume and service area, which stretches roughly 30 miles north. Detroit is also served through the Cicotte facility, a very small center also known as the International Building because of the large number of packages between the USA & Canada it processes.

I'm in Madison Heights (one of the two largest buildings serving Metro Detroit) and nearly every part-time employee who wanted to got an opportunity to drive. A very large number signed the bid sheet (few job openings have been available for the past ten years or so) but many choose not to take the road test (or were ineligible because of their driving record), some failed it, some were disqualified and others disqualified themselves. End result is that only a few made it, including at least one person who's only worked here a year or so. We're hearing the same trend occurred in other buildings within the area.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
If it were me id carry a gun that was registered. Somebody put my life in danger them mofos are getting blasted. You got to protect yourself by any means necessary, its my life or yours and im taking their life first. I think we could agree on that. I almost killed a guy in a fight one time when I got jumped and as bad as this sounds I could do it again if I feared my life was in danger again, no problem. If anybody has ever feared for their life in that type of situation then they will know exactly what im talking about.
The sad part is, management tried to make my buddy finish. He told them to shove it and came back to the hub. The guy that got jumped was an older guy in his late 50's apparently he has been in a fight before and whooped the guy, but he got jumped by a few guys and from what I heard he held his own but he came in the next day and his face was black and blue. This is the kind of :censored2: UPS employees shouldn't worry about. Honestly I think UPS should put in a policy where if the area is to dangerous then they don't deliver. If someone orders a package that lives in a :censored2: hole then they need to come pick there stuff up from the hub.

twoeddies1

Really! Tell us more about this. Is this person a ups employee or a contract security guard?
It's a private security company that has a contract with UPS. They go and sign in center every morning. Most are retired law enforcement personnel. The two guys I work with one is a retired NYPD cop and the other a retired city correction officer.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Its not a year it's 9 months--at least here...and if they exhaust the list of qualified drivers with 9 months they would then go to people with less than 9 months so if there is a list up and you want to drive sign it.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

upschuck

Its not a year it's 9 months--at least here...and if they exhaust the list of qualified drivers with 9 months they would then go to people with less than 9 months so if there is a list up and you want to drive sign it.
Then why have the 9 month prerequisite? Ours is a year, but does the same thing. I don't get it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Then why have the 9 month prerequisite? Ours is a year, but does the same thing. I don't get it.
The language used here is (paraphrasing) a dues paying union member for at least 9 months...so I believe it's a teamsters request it be in there and that they usually will waive it at a local level to avoid hiring off the street first.

McGee

I'm a pt seasonal handler so I have to wait till I'm hired in which will be in September to bid.

I talked to the hub manager today so I can transfer he told me ill have to wait a year I told him I was a seasonal package handler and he said ohhh talk to hr on Monday and request

so that's the only benefit of being seasonal... easy to transfer.

think I need to talk to HR..... hmmm

Johney

It's a private security company that has a contract with UPS. They go and sign in center every morning. Most are retired law enforcement personnel. The two guys I work with one is a retired NYPD cop and the other a retired city correction officer.
I wonder if they charge the customer a security surcharge?

BigBrown3605

Meanwhile-in-Detroit_o_95110.jpg

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
It is so bad they are (or were until they went bankrupt), giving free homes away to get police officers to join the force.

Those of you that have Netflix need to search by title for "Burn".
It's a documentary on one year in the Detroit Fire Department. If you think your job sucks and/or is impossible, you haven't seen anything yet.

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen, and not just because I'm a firefighter either.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I lived there 72-74. If you call it living, I was not allowed out of my house alone. I won tickets from cklw for Alice Cooper at Cobo Hall, , and I wasnt allowed to go. If it was that bad then, I cannot imagine now!
I grew up in the country, got moved to the city, and it was awful. I got to go through the "bad areas" one time, just so I could see, and I was like speechless.