Police Brutality & Executions

Nimnim

The Nim
LATE? You must not live around here. ;)
Psh, you're just a daywalker while I work midnights.
5c745924.gif

Nimnim

The Nim
Thus my point. The assumption is that some governing body has the absolute right to pass any law and thus the enforcers (police) have the absolute right to enforce it. If this be true, Hitler's holocaust was justified in that his government has the right to pass the law and thus his police has the right to enforce it thus the people have no standing to resist. Our country thus has no right to invade and impede their will either.

Hmm, at least in theory, a local government, city/township/county/state can pass any law they want. There may be outside governance that impedes it, but ultimately I believe it's up to the people themselves to ensure that either such people who would attempt such things are never voted into such positions, or removed. It is a situation though, if you don't know a politician would do such a thing, how do you prevent it, and once they do how can you stop it before you can have them removed from office?

wkmac

In terms of karma, Rodney King deserved to get the living crap beaten out of him.

If true then no longer tell me the fiction that we are a nation of laws. Besides, I doubt the Buddha ever taught the fallacy of relevance that 2 Wrongs make a Right as being Karma!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If true then no longer tell me the fiction that we are a nation of laws. Besides, I doubt the Buddha ever taught the fallacy of relevance that 2 Wrongs make a Right as being Karma!
What goes around, comes around.

King's injuries were consistent with those that would have happened to him had he wrecked his car.

Endangering the lives of thousands of innocent motorists and police by choosing to drive 100+ miles per hour on public roads, while drunk, during a high-speed chase will often result in serious injury or death...either by wrapping your car around a pole or getting the crap beat out of you by the cops.

In an ideal world, a police sniper in a helicopter would have ended that high speed chase and safeguarded the lives of the innocents on that highway by putting a bullet thru Kings head.

A 5,000 lb car being driven at 100 MPH by a drunk who is fleeing the police is a DEADLY WEAPON and I have no problem with lethal force being used against the person who wields that weapon.

bbsam

Staff member
What goes around, comes around.

King's injuries were consistent with those that would have happened to him had he wrecked his car.

Endangering the lives of thousands of innocent motorists and police by choosing to drive 100+ miles per hour on public roads, while drunk, during a high-speed chase will often result in serious injury or death...either by wrapping your car around a pole or getting the crap beat out of you by the cops.

In an ideal world, a police sniper in a helicopter would have ended that high speed chase and safeguarded the lives of the innocents on that highway by putting a bullet thru Kings head.

A 5,000 lb car being driven at 100 MPH by a drunk who is fleeing the police is a DEADLY WEAPON and I have no problem with lethal force being used against the person who wields that weapon.
Well that's not what the cops claimed at trial. In fact, they bent over backward telling the world ththat we didn't see what we saw AFTER KING HAD BEEN APPREHENDED. So write the law and pass it that resisting arrest is not a capital offense as far as the court is concerned because officer's should make certain that defendant never sees a courtroom.

soberups

"How To Properly Interact With Police" should be a mandatory part of a high school curriculum. Such a class would involve a ride-along for a full shift in a police car, as well as video demonstrations and a question-and-answer session in the classroom with a police officer. I am all for upholding the civil rights of all citizens, but equal emphasis ought to be placed upon civic responsibilities as well.

soberups

Well that's not what the cops claimed at trial. In fact, they bent over backward telling the world ththat we didn't see what we saw AFTER KING HAD BEEN APPREHENDED. So write the law and pass it that resisting arrest is not a capital offense as far as the court is concerned because officer's should make certain that defendant never sees a courtroom.

I was speaking of karma, not law.

I think the cops probably went a little overboard on King from a legal standpoint. From a karmic standpoint however, he deserved to get the crap beat out of him. He brought it all upon himself and he was not a victim.

bbsam

Staff member
"How To Properly Interact With Police" should be a mandatory part of a high school curriculum. Such a class would involve a ride-along for a full shift in a police car, as well as video demonstrations and a question-and-answer session in the classroom with a police officer. I am all for upholding the civil rights of all citizens, but equal emphasis ought to be placed upon civic responsibilities as well.
I disagree. Police have a far greater responsibility.

bbsam

Staff member
I was speaking of karma, not law.

I think the cops probably went a little overboard on King from a legal standpoint. From a karmic standpoint however, he deserved to get the crap beat out of him. He brought it all upon himself and he was not a victim.
From a karma standpoint he died a misealed wreck. No beat down necessary.

soberups

I disagree. Police have a far greater responsibility.
So you are saying that people should not be educated on the do's and dont's of police interaction? You are saying that we don't have a civic responsibility to afford our police a basic level of courtesy and cooperation? I disagree.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our local high school has a full time police officer assigned there. He walks the halls and tries to create an atmosphere of trust between the students, faculty and law enforcement, both on and off campus.

bbsam

Staff member
So you are saying that people should not be educated on the do's and dont's of police interaction? You are saying that we don't have a civic responsibility to afford our police a basic level of courtesy and cooperation? I disagree.
Can't be done. Already done with young black men. But cops react differently depending on skin color. Or will we have "separate but equal" education on interacting with police?

wkmac

"You pay my salary so you kiss my ass when I say so!"

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The problem you have in states which have Indian reservations, such as New York, is that cigarette sales are not taxed on the reservations. Dealers will buy in bulk from the Indians and transport and sell them to individuals such as Garner at less than the wholesale rates retailers pay. Garner will then sell them on the street at below retail rates and will not pay taxes on those transactions. NY adds $4.35 to each pack while NYC adds $1.50 to that amount so there is a significant amount of revenue being lost through these illegal sales.

Or they go to places like Virginia and pay $47 a carton for them plus 6% sales tax. Take them back to NYC and sell them for $11 a pack, more than doubling their money. Worth the risk.