Production termination!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Taking your lunch when you get back to the building does not affect your on road time. As long as you actually take lunch, it does not matter when you take it as it has no bearing on on road time.

Now if you dont take all your lunch, yes it will affect the production.

As far as running, yes it does affect the on road time, but only if you do not lose it by not following other methods. I have seen people running that actually lose time once they get back to the car.

But if you have a smooth car routine, then running to and from the delivery will shave time off the delivery day. This is unsafe and is officially frowned upon by management, but off the record, I have yet to ever see a sup use discipline against a driver for running. Other things yes, but not running, of speeding either. Unless you start picking up tickets.

But it is my opinion after watching drivers over the last three plus decades, the humpers and runners hit a wall after about 10 years. And when that happens, its not pretty.

Kinda like having a sprinter running a marathon. Not gonna finish the race.

UPS is a long endurance marathon, not a 100 yard dash. Better to have a bit left after 35 years than to burn out after 15.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Taking your lunch when you get back to the building does not affect your on road time. As long as you actually take lunch, it does not matter when you take it as it has no bearing on on road time.
d
I will disagree with you on this until hell freezes over. It absolutely does affect your day and on road hrs. :peaceful:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Lets break this down for every one to understand.

You have 100 stops. That 100 stops takes you 8.5 hours of work to deliver and pick up. Your start time is 9AM. You get back to the building at 6:30 (8,5 hours) and take your lunch. You punch out at 7:30.

The next day you also have 100 stops. This time you take your lunch on road like you are supposed to do. You get back to the center at 7:30 and punch out.

So which day gave you a better on road time? Which day gave you a better Sporh?

The answer is neither. They are identical because of the days pay, and stops are the same. Nothing is different on either day when you look at the reports the next day.

Is that a bit more clear? Or do I need to continue the class?:wink2:

d

Danny, I will concede that it will have less effect on a rte the is very dense and consolidated. Notice I said 'less'
especially for those that are math challenged! ;)

The route has no bearing on the conversation. If you run 16 stops an hour on road time, how can it make a fiddlers damn how close the stops are? you are comparing oranges to apples to grapes.:angry:

Come to think of it, you have been consuming those adult beverages again havent you? That explains the high levels in some of the posts, and the comprehension loss here.:smart:

Step away from the adult beverage!:laughing:

backinbrown

respect my authority
Lets break this down for every one to understand.

You have 100 stops. That 100 stops takes you 8.5 hours of work to deliver and pick up. Your start time is 9AM. You get back to the building at 6:30 (8,5 hours) and take your lunch. You punch out at 7:30.

The next day you also have 100 stops. This time you take your lunch on road like you are supposed to do. You get back to the center at 7:30 and punch out.

So which day gave you a better on road time? Which day gave you a better Sporh?

The answer is neither. They are identical because of the days pay, and stops are the same. Nothing is different on either day when you look at the reports the next day.

Is that a bit more clear? Or do I need to continue the class?:wink2:

d

especially for those that are math challenged! ;)

The route has no bearing on the conversation. If you run 16 stops an hour on road time, how can it mad a fiddlers damn how close the stops are? you are comparing oranges to apples to grapes.

Come to think of it, you have been consuming those adult beverages again havent you? That explains the high levels in some of the posts, and the comprehension loss here.

Step away from the adult beverage!

If you enter you back in building time as an hour earlier and you take your lunch after you are punched back in building i think it matters because you are back in building an hour earlier, dont try to make me out to be stupid
it has to matter in someway

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Your not stupid, just math challenged.

In the first day, you ran 100 stops and did so in 8.5 hours. You take your hour at the end of the day, between 6:30&7:30. Your stops per on road hour are 11.76

In the second day, you ran 100 stops and did so in 8.5 hours. You take your lunch between 1&2 and punch out at 7:30 Your stops per on road hour are 11.76.

HMMMM, I dont see the difference. Show me where the driver on the first day did better than the second day?

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
Your not stupid, just math challenged.

In the first day, you ran 100 stops and did so in 8.5 hours. You take your hour at the end of the day, between 6:30&7:30. Your stops per on road hour are 11.76

In the second day, you ran 100 stops and did so in 8.5 hours. You take your lunch between 1&2 and punch out at 7:30 Your stops per on road hour are 11.76.

HMMMM, I dont see the difference. Show me where the driver on the first day did better than the second day?

d

so you are saying that back in building time has nothing to do with sporh

BigBrownSanta

Your lunch hour is not calculated in your SPORH.

SPORH = # of del / on road time

On road time does not include lunch nor does it include am or pm time.

It doesn't matter when you take the lunch, beginning of the day, middle of the day, nor end of the day. It has no effect on SPORH.

If you punch out for lunch that time is taken out of your on road time, which means if you work during that hour, your SPORH will be very high, but if you stop for an hour, your SPORH will be lower.

I'm not sure that cleared up anything.:happy-very:

backinbrown

respect my authority
Your lunch hour is not calculated in your SPORH.

SPORH = # of del / on road time

On road time does not include lunch nor does it include am or pm time.

It doesn't matter when you take the lunch, beginning of the day, middle of the day, nor end of the day. It has no effect on SPORH.

If you punch out for lunch that time is taken out of your on road time, which means if you work during that hour, your SPORH will be very high, but if you stop for an hour, your SPORH will be lower.

I'm not sure that cleared up anything.:happy-very:

i was misinformed thats why i like it here you allways learn something i will except my defeat SEACREST OUT

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i was misinformed thats why i like it here you always learn something i will except my defeat
Ah cont-rare, no defeat, only that the learning curve here is untainted by some self serving sup filling your head full of the koolaid flavor of the month.

Drivers that are given the wrong information at birth, how are they ever to know any different unless someone shows them the correct information?

best

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
ah cont-rare, no defeat, only that the learning curve here is untainted by some self serving sup filling your head full of the koolaid flavor of the month.

Drivers that are given the wrong information at birth, how are they ever to know any different unless someone shows them the correct information?

Best

d

i agree thank you

ol'browneye

If you enter you back in building time as an hour earlier and you take your lunch after you are punched back in building i think it matters because you are back in building an hour earlier, dont try to make me out to be stupid
it has to matter in someway

If you show you taking your lunch after returning to building, it screws up the time card, so our supe says. We have to show lunch, then return to building. So dannyboy is right. If you do it the way we've been told to do it, it has no bearing on your sporh!

New Englander

If you show you taking your lunch after returning to building, it screws up the time card, so our supe says. We have to show lunch, then return to building. So dannyboy is right. If you do it the way we've been told to do it, it has no bearing on your sporh!

For some strange reason I've been told it adds to your PM time.

New Englander

You've been around long enough and pay attention and have been in chat. I have never tried to hide who I am. Unfortunately some people just don't know when to quit.

Much like yourself. I didn't go after you in this thread. You came after me. If you want to keep making jabs. Feel free, I will as well. Your online persona certainly does not scare me.

New Englander

I thought once you put in your back in building that was it and you are basicly in and done an hour early, i am misinformed and should check my facts, but what about the rest of the post? no opinion?

I do have an opinion. It seems like the crutch for people who are mired in mediocrity is to attack people who plain just work harder. Sure I speed. Every morning when I get on a route that involves using the local highway the posted speed is 65mph. Some of our P1000's will do 70mph. So just like EVERY driver in our center we floor the vehicles while driving the highway. Unless weather dictates us not to.

I don't know about you BUT I certainly can't speed on the icy/snow covered back roads. You know the ones with limited sand thrown down as towns are cutting costs. Heck most of these roads it's hard to maintain the speed limit on summer days with the wash board. I certainly don't go "overly slow and cautious" as some do. Yet I'm also not driving on the edge.

Your also wrong. I don't run - I don't have the energy or stamina for that. Tried it a couple times, way too embarrassing when you need to talk to the customer and can't because you can't get a breath in. I do have a very quick and strong walk pace that has most supervisors breathing hard to keep up with me.

I'm very smooth on my normal daily methods, as wrong as some probably are. They work for me. My bulkhead is closed. If the regular driver leaves his key in the bulkhead, I leave it there for him as well. I do not waste time. If I stop to grab something to drink? It's on my two ten minute breaks that I combine as a twenty.

I am strong. I have been reprimanded for working unsafely do to the amount I will lift and carry before I grab the handcart. Especially in the snow. This I'm sure will change as I age. Though it's a very limited part of my day.

So.....since I walk at a very quick pace. Do not waste time and spend the absolute minimal time possible without being rude to the customers I've never had my production called into question. Most times my numbers are better then the regular drivers. Though there are three regular drivers that I do cover that ARE more efficient then I am on their routes.

You can call it what you want. My personal belief is that at my rate of pay it should require me working as hard and safe as I can. As I do.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Danny, I will use a my favorite rural rte as an example. No, I'll use my stewards rte as an example instead. Her is somewhat more condensed but is still all over the place. Business in the morning until let's say 1200. She takes lunch between 1200 and 1245. The next area is resi but it alson has business in it. Usually runs 30-40 stopps and takes 2 hrs. However there are many miles in between the 1st area and the 2nd. Let's say that she gets done with that by 1530. This is fine now b/c she can get back into town for p/u at 1600.

Now let's go back to the beginning of the day and the business is very heavy and there is air all over. She has to skip part of her business to make air commits and doesn't get done with all the business until 1330. She had to double back to get the business that was skipped earlier. (adds more miles and time to the rte.) So now she is taking her lunch at 1330 and can't get to the next area until 1430-1445. Remember, there is business there also. So now that 30-40 stops won't get done until 1630-1645. Can't be done. Have to break off to go get p/u. (adding miles and time to rte). And I haven't even touched base on the rest off the resi that can't get done until after the 1600 p/u's. Plus she has 2 other p/u's 1 at 1730 and the other right after that. Her rte avg's 500 pcs 3 days a week.

So it absolutely does affect the planned day. UPS doesn't factor into our planned day, when we have to double loop our rtes.

And you can say that all she has to do is take lunch at the same time and I will tell you that it doesn't work that way. The longer it takes to get the morning business done the later it is getting to the next part of the rte and the more chance that you have to break off to make commit times, be it air or business or p/u's. She has business on her rte throughout the day, some not getting del. until 16:55.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dill

you are comparing oranges to apples to grapes.

When you talk about breaking off to get an area, that is a different matter. In that case, you are not comparing identical routes with identical days. You are comparing a light or average day with one that is heavier. So its not the lunch that is the factor, but the work.

d

atatbl

I will disagree with you on this until hell freezes over. It absolutely does affect your day and on road hrs. :peaceful:

It actually doesn't. It is actually a mathematical formula. He is right. For specifically ON ROAD HOURS and SPORH it has no affect. It may "affect your day" or "mood" or "hunger" and a million other things, but the math is there. Look at the OR and see.

New Englander

It actually doesn't. It is actually a mathematical formula. He is right. For specifically ON ROAD HOURS and SPORH it has no affect. It may "affect your day" or "mood" or "hunger" and a million other things, but the math is there. Look at the OR and see.

Amazing isn't it.