Public perception

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Based on this morning's (Wed) news you might get your chance to prove your claim that the world stops dead in it's tracks when the box ox in brown stops.

Really is it any if your business anyway..get back to the FedEx forum were you belong…

Are you jealous or just like sticking your nose into matters that do not affect you?

bacha29

Really is it any if your business anyway..get back to the FedEx forum were you belong…

Are you jealous or just like sticking your nose into matters that do not affect you?
1. United Parcel Service is a publicly traded company
2. It is a common carrier operating at the pleasure and discretion of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
3. It is only one among numerous small package carriers operating in that space and all have significantly increased capacity.
4. If in the event of a UPS work stoppage shipments will slow and be encumbered but not to the extent some of you seem to
believe it will be especially if the DOT and FMSCA decides to enact a temporary relaxation of operating rules under its
emergency powers.
5. And in the end Congress tired of listening to you crying might just step in and order you to take the deal that's on the table.

Arizax2

I think UPS takes it down to the wire then gets the deal done. They only thing they have left is to stall out as long as possible to appear as though they didn't give in too easily. If they decide to choose to let the strike happen, everything they invested in the healthcare sector will be gone right off the bat.
You got a point there with the Healthcare sector. If that wasn't Carol pride and joy then I think it would be a different story. This will definitely come down to the wire unfortunately.

I think UPS takes it down to the wire then gets the deal done. They only thing they have left is to stall out as long as possible to appear as though they didn't give in too easily. If they decide to choose to let the strike happen, everything they invested in the healthcare sector will be gone right off the bat.
They have a boatload of money invested and that including giant freezers to store the medicine

Undertow

It was a nightmare in 97, there’s a lot more volume now. It will be absolute pandemonium.
There might be a few spots here and there where the effects wouldn't be felt immediately but they are few and far between. I read a quote in a story today from some guy who works for Shipmetrix stating that FedEx could somehow "easily absorb 4 million more parcels a day" in August and literally laughed out loud. Their ground unit in my area is despised by the customers due to inadequate staffing resulting in continually bad service across the board. If FedEx employees experienced a drop on morale during the strike of '97, it's a near guarantee they'd be far worse off this time around if it comes to a strike.

Thebrownblob

There might be a few spots here and there where the effects wouldn't be felt immediately but they are few and far between. I read a quote in a story today from some guy who works for Shipmetrix stating that FedEx could somehow "easily absorb 4 million more parcels a day" in August and literally laughed out loud. Their ground unit in my area is despised by the customers due to inadequate staffing resulting in continually bad service across the board. If FedEx employees experienced a drop on morale during the strike of '97, it's a near guarantee they'd be far worse off this time around if it comes to a strike.
They just don’t have the capacity or manpower. Really it might be just as bad for FedEx or worse because it might swamp them completely. And cripple them.

bacha29

They just don’t have the capacity or manpower. Really it might be just as bad for FedEx or worse because it might swamp them completely. And cripple them.
After being coerced and intimidated into spending boatloads of money they didn't have on capacity for COVID and the following peak season only to discover that it wasn't needed Ground contractors won't make that same mistake twice.

An additional four million a day would only happen under the most favorable of circumstances and any additional volume would require UPS taking countermeasures it to this point it has kept hidden in the closet or another carrier of one sort or another surprisingly jumps into the arena. Keep your eye on XPO.

Undertow

Indeed. If their most recent cheap hires already have any misgivings about the job, then being overwhelmed with a wave of volume in the midst of a heat wave might just cause many of them to quit in the middle of the week if they see no immediate end in sight. I could see it unfolding just the way you describe.

Thebrownblob

Indeed. If their most recent cheap hires already have any misgivings about the job, then being overwhelmed with a wave of volume in the midst of a heat wave might just cause many of them to quit in the middle of the week if they see no immediate end in sight. I could see it unfolding just the way you describe.
To FedEx credit they have said they will severely limit volume probably to save their company from sure disaster.

Cowboy Mac

1. United Parcel Service is a publicly traded company
2. It is a common carrier operating at the pleasure and discretion of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
3. It is only one among numerous small package carriers operating in that space and all have significantly increased capacity.
4. If in the event of a UPS work stoppage shipments will slow and be encumbered but not to the extent some of you seem to
believe it will be especially if the DOT and FMSCA decides to enact a temporary relaxation of operating rules under its
emergency powers.
5. And in the end Congress tired of listening to you crying might just step in and order you to take the deal that's on the table.
DOT relaxed HOS rules under covid and under hurricanes and other natural disasters. Doesn’t make a difference. When FedEx is working 70 hours a week instead of 60 delivering our extra volume in the summer heat watch how quickly they lose workers.

Congress does not have the power to order us to take a deal. There is no law that enables them to do so.

Undertow

To FedEx credit they have said they will severely limit volume probably to save their company from sure disaster.
That's just one of the reasons that this supposed sector expert from Shipmetrix shouldn't be trusted in any way by the public at large and I hope SOB reminds them of that. Amazon, Fed Ex, and the post office aren't going to rescue anybody needing something heavier than 50lbs and beyond the size of a lawn mower box to sustain their business.

There's no cavalry coming for the overwhelming majority of customers out there whether big or small, biz or resi. There's going to be real effects with noticeable shortages and disruptions to many given the "just in time" approach most treat inventories these days.

bacha29

DOT relaxed HOS rules under covid and under hurricanes and other natural disasters. Doesn’t make a difference. When FedEx is working 70 hours a week instead of 60 delivering our extra volume in the summer heat watch how quickly they lose workers.

Congress does not have the power to order us to take a deal. There is no law that enables them to do so.
They ordered the railway workers to accept the new labor deal just a few months ago.