Putting in My Letter of Intent

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
WRONG you can't work more that 60 hours a week no matter if it's driving or waiting to be dispatched any time your getting paid counts towards your 60 hrs even if it's a second job.

You can't drive more that 11 hrs a day... UPS package driver would never reach that number since we are stop and go all day long...

http://www.jjkellerservices.com/articles/basic_hours_of_service_compliance.html
"Keep in mind, that under either limit you may do non-driving work after reaching the 60-hour or 70-hour maximum"

Straight from the article.

Brownslave688

Have they had alot of problems? We have had both Jeeps since 2008 and this is the first year we have had any issues other than routine stuff i.e brakes, tires, maintenance.
The patriots are not nearly as durable as a wrangler or even grand Cherokee. There's a reason they are so cheap.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
WRONG you can't work more that 60 hours a week no matter if it's driving or waiting to be dispatched any time your getting paid counts towards your 60 hrs even if it's a second job.

You can't drive more that 11 hrs a day... UPS package driver would never reach that number since we are stop and go all day long...

http://www.jjkellerservices.com/articles/basic_hours_of_service_compliance.html

If you're thinking about going into management, I suggest you learn the law and know what you are talking about.

The law says nothing about working more than 60 hours as you quoted.

The law says you cannot drive after working 60 hours.

They can use the guy as a jumper for 10 hours on Friday and he will be paid for 66 hours.

He cannot drive after reaching 60 but he can jump for unlimited hours after his 60.

Brownslave688

If you're thinking about going into management, I suggest you learn the law and know what you are talking about.

They can use the guy as a jumper for 10 hours on Friday and he will be paid for 66 hours.

He cannot drive after reaching 60 but he can jump for unlimited hours after his 60.

As long as they have 34 hours off before they drove again.

noahgw92

Wow 79 pages of post! My comment isn't ever going to get read. Yeah I was asked by multiple people (center manager, full time sups and my partime) if I wanted to become a supervisor and I just couldn't imagine telling someone who is already out their nutssmashing to hurry up. The key to becoming a good supervisor is to only think about yourself and your wellbeing (bonusing).

rod

Retired 22 years
I need to whine a little bit.
We thought we were all prepared for peak son goes to get new tires put on his Jeep for winter mechanic calls me as son is at work double shifting and says to me he has a rear differential problem 750.00 to crack it open and look at it. I say to dealership no it has lifetime warranty we need to get a hold of them and see if you are authorized dealership of course not so had to take Jeep to correct dealership and it has been in the shop since before Thanksgiving. Husband is on his way home from work and his Jeep interior lights start turning on and cutting out so his Jeep is in the shop trying to find where it is shorting out at.

Now we are down two vehicles and in a rental until son's Jeep is fixed and I am driving them both to work in the morning and then I will pick husband up after he is done working.

The good news in all of that is Lifetime warranty will cover son's Jeep repair to the tune of anywhere between $2500.00-$ 4000.00 and co worker offered to bring son home from work as long as needed. We have to eat cost of rental car for almost three weeks. It is 2013 peak all over again with vehicles in the shop.

All you had to do was mention the word "Jeep" and I felt sorry for you. Then I read you have two Jeeps and now I feel twice as sorry. Have you learned your lesson yet?

oldandcrabby

Thank you for all the information I know what the DOT says but was curious how UPS handles it. I hope it will not come to that would rather have him under 60 hours for the week.

Son works inside so he called me Monday night and volume was 280,000 as online ordering has been on the uptick he put in a 13 hour day on Monday.

oldandcrabby

The patriots are not nearly as durable as a wrangler or even grand Cherokee. There's a reason they are so cheap.

I will pass that onto him. He has been in 3 rentals since his jeep got into the shop. All of this started because he went to have new tires put on at Jeep dealership and they put him in a loaner KIA Soul. He hated that little tin can.

Then dealership tells him rear end issue he responds lifetime warranty and they said Jeep has to go to dealership purchased from which was Nissan. They graciously put him in a loaner (free) which was a brand new Rouge. Had that only until just before Thanksgiving.

oldandcrabby

Wow 79 pages of post! My comment isn't ever going to get read. Yeah I was asked by multiple people (center manager, full time sups and my partime) if I wanted to become a supervisor and I just couldn't imagine telling someone who is already out their nutssmashing to hurry up. The key to becoming a good supervisor is to only think about yourself and your wellbeing (bonusing).

Son has worked pt for over 10 years every year he gets asked to become supervision he states NO! Then they ask want to be a driver?
He then states let me think about it. That is where it sits every year. On his PT work only has bought a house and watches the bid sheets.

oldandcrabby

All you had to do was mention the word "Jeep" and I felt sorry for you. Then I read you have two Jeeps and now I feel twice as sorry. Have you learned your lesson yet?

Got any recommendations on what vehicle to buy? Need 4 wheel drive as he lives in rural area.

oldandcrabby

Both have been bought used and ran us around well for 7 years and no payments for the last 4 of them. He has been saving for new vehicle and thinking it is time to get into car payments again.

rod

Retired 22 years
Got any recommendations on what vehicle to buy? Need 4 wheel drive as he lives in rural area.

I would recommend anything BUT a Jeep. Everyone seems to want a Jeep at least once in their lives but VERY few buy a second one. I know I would never buy another one. Can he get by with an All Wheel Drive SUV or does he need pickup truck?

oldandcrabby

I would recommend anything BUT a Jeep. Everyone seems to want a Jeep at least once in their lives but VERY few buy a second one. I know I would never buy another one. Can he get by with an All Wheel Drive SUV or does he need pickup truck?

SUV would be fine Nissan dealership also sells Ford. Gotta run son to work will be back in about an hour.

oldandcrabby

Back in 1983 spouses Dad gifted us with 1978 Subaru when we were very broke and poor. I think it had 83,000 on it and we ran that thing to death oil pan plug seated itself to the oil pan at about 183,000 and my husband and I pulled it all apart and replaced the oil pan and the seal. I forgot all about Subaru until you brought it up.

We just had our son husband was in tech school and I was working at a chocolate factory and a small foundry through temp service to pay for classes and bills. Fond memories of when were so very young.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I would not make this decision. At this time if I were you.

Or...ever.

I love the local management moves pages on UPSers.com. Almost to a tee, every single person on the promotion page says nearly the same thing: "I look forward this next step in my career here at UPS. I plan on working hard to grow the business and servicing the customers to the best of my ability."

It's almost as if there is a form letter to fill that small paragraph. It would be sweet to get an honest update 5 or 10 years down the line from these people. I imagine it would be short, and bittersweet. Like: "Uggh. I mean...pfft. What do we do here?!"