Question for old timer/experienced drivers...

Grey

What was the first year each of these were used and was each one significantly better than the previous?

UPS-Photo-1.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
What was the first year each of these were used and was each one significantly better than the previous?

UPS-Photo-1.jpg

You could pound in fence posts with DIAD 1. The addition of a handle on DIAD 2 made it a great weapon for dogs. That's as far up the tech trail I made it before retiring.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
# 3 was my favorite .
# 1 was bulky and had a heavy limited power battery .
# 2 was an improvement , but crashed a lot .

Packmule

4 was problematic because of the need to soft key for half the letters. Also had battery that didn't last. If they'd have kept its size and fixed those problems, I'd throw 5 away. I Get that they wanted it smaller, but you just can't touch the $@&? thing without bumping it into a wrong mode.
Don't know how many times I've tried punching out only to discover half of a bulk stop is sitting in prerecord.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Each of the upgrades have allowed us to become more productive and efficient.

I like the 5. It does a much better job of scanning "difficult" labels and is much faster than the previous versions. I prefer to carry it in my hand rather than using the clip.

I do wish they would turn on the radio, which would allows us to communicate with other drivers, and the camera, which would allow us to take pictures of DR's to "questionable" addresses.

oldngray

nowhere special
3 was probably the best DIAD overall. 1 was junk and 2 was even worse because it tried to do too much with a really slow processor. 4 was good but that soft key to switch keyboards did suck.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They all suck!

Not really, just the first 3. Diad's 4 and 5 are pretty much the same to use. Before Diad 5, using 3 at peak sucked.

Johney

From what I remember
#1 signature pad wore out in the first week of use.
#2 having to use a phone to transfer info every what hour or so?
#3 best (in my opinion)up to that point
#4 sucked balls due to toggle key
#5 great except picks up every single thing that even remotely looks like a bar code and forces you to scan Amazon packages 15 times before it takes it.

clean hairy

Like 5 where it scans barcodes quicker,
once you get the hang of it, much quicker to enter info.
except for the small keys causing typos on name verification.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Personally, I long for the days of paper delivery records. Much simpler to deliver. Six digit shipper number and an ID number of some sort. Only drawback was when it rained and trying to keep your paper dry.

There were no messages continually being sent to you to do extra work or go back here or there. No customers wanting to meet you for a package that was sig required. No big brother constantly monitoring every move you made. I can remember when DIAD had to be plugged into the holder in your package car to transmit. I would just turn mine upside down or put paper in the holder so I didn't have to deal with messages.

Ahhhhhh for the good ole days. Glad I am getting close to retirement.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

What I'd really like to see is a switch to a QWERTY layout. I've yet to get down typing on an ABC.
If they haven't done it by now, I find it unlikely they will ever do it.

Do any of your centers still have the 4? We still use it, although very little. Pretty much everything has been the 5 for a year now.

rod

Retired 22 years
Personally, I long for the days of paper delivery records. Much simpler to deliver. Six digit shipper number and an ID number of some sort. Only drawback was when it rained and trying to keep your paper dry.

There were no messages continually being sent to you to do extra work or go back here or there. No customers wanting to meet you for a package that was sig required. No big brother constantly monitoring every move you made. I can remember when DIAD had to be plugged into the holder in your package car to transmit. I would just turn mine upside down or put paper in the holder so I didn't have to deal with messages.

Ahhhhhh for the good ole days. Glad I am getting close to retirement.

I loved rainy days working with paper-------all the evidence UPS could use against you was for the most part destroyed. How many stops did you want to say you delivered today? What do you mean you can't read the signatures---you can't read anything on that water logged wad of TP.