Retired UPS Management willing to answer all questions that you are are afraid to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownTexas

Then why don't you become a supervisor to help make it a better place? I'll tell you why, you're at your happiest when you have something to complain about. You'll come up with every lame excuse in the book to not accept that responsibility. I have always felt sorry for people like you.
Why become a supervisor? Why not make less that I already do? Why not be told to preach safety but stray from it the moment it affects production? Why not tell drivers to falsify documents to cover my ass on a report to make myself look better? Why not throw someone else under the bus to save my own ass? The minute someone goes into management they have to adapt to survive. That usually means you have to be willing to put yourself in front of everyone else no matter what. I like being able to sleep at night because I did my job and didn't have to blame someone else for not doing it.

Why are we strong armed into contributing to United Way? My supervisor acted as if I was Satan himself because I chose not to contribute. What type of incentives does management receive?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
With all due respect, PT sups are not really management.
With all due respect when I was pt management, I ran the dispatching and the preload, and yes I was considered mgmt, and held accountable. And I was awesome. Like our OP said, if someone liked light dispatches, they got it, and when they didnt they knew why, if someone liked heavy days, they got it. If someone needed a day off, they got it. It all worked well til one day a dm walked in at 8 am and no ft sups were yet there and he said, who is running this place anyway, and it was me, myself and I. At 9am no one yet knew what seat they were in because it was no longer my job. That was a fun day.
We got a new sup and center manager the next day, and they were fretting, whos running this place, and I said me, no worries. We were 100 % in range that day, and that center manager never forgot it. He is the one who got me into full time driving so I could go into ft mgmt.
And once into driving, I said screw that.
Because I knew there were too few like him, and too many nay sayers. I also had the keys to the building, and the one who covered the ftimers when they were off for surgeries etc.
I was also sent to train drivers, tho I had never driven. Certifiably. I was also the one who came in at 2am, and was jumping at 6pm. And all the others had gone home.
And you can think what you want. I know what I did, and I dont lie. I just got sick of being abused monetarily,we didnt punch in and out then like they do now. We didnt get overtime after five. We got the crap kicked out of us because we didnt know we had rights. It was "if you dont like it move on" because back then I guess, no one filed grievances for sups working. And I didnt know there was such a thing, no one ever filed one on me. Thinking back I wish they would have, I had no clue. Joe blow needed help, and I went.
We used to have a thing called sysm, I was the one that knew what it meant and how full the trailers coming in would be and adjusted. And when pcs came guess who ran them, and did the conference calls. You got it, the lowly pt sup.

Last edited:

box_beeyotch

With all due respect when I was pt management, I ran the dispatching and the preload, and yes I was considered mgmt, and held accountable. And I was awesome. Like our OP said, if someone liked light dispatches, they got it, and when they didnt they knew why, if someone liked heavy days, they got it. If someone needed a day off, they got it. It all worked well til one day a dm walked in at 8 am and no ft sups were yet there and he said, who is running this place anyway, and it was me, myself and I. At 9am no one yet knew what seat they were in because it was no longer my job. That was a fun day.
We got a new sup and center manager the next day, and they were fretting, whos running this place, and I said me, no worries. We were 100 % in range that day, and that center manager never forgot it. He is the one who got me into full time driving so I could go into ft mgmt.
And once into driving, I said screw that.
Because I knew there were too few like him, and too many nay sayers. I also had the keys to the building, and the one who covered the ftimers when they were off for surgeries etc.
I was also sent to train drivers, tho I had never driven. Certifiably. I was also the one who came in at 2am, and was jumping at 6pm. And all the others had gone home.
And you can think what you want. I know what I did, and I dont lie. I just got sick of being abused monetarily,we didnt punch in and out then like they do now. We didnt get overtime after five. We got the crap kicked out of us because we didnt know we had rights. It was "if you dont like it move on" because back then I guess, no one filed grievances for sups working. And I didnt know there was such a thing, no one ever filed one on me. Thinking back I wish they would have, I had no clue. Joe blow needed help, and I went.
We used to have a thing called sysm, I was the one that knew what it meant and how full the trailers coming in would be and adjusted. And when pcs came guess who ran them, and did the conference calls. You got it, the lowly pt sup.

Dont worry about him, Hes just a suckass. Hard to tell how many different peoples crap he has on his nose.

OldMan

Having been a pt sup, and seeing how our sups are fed words and told to go spit them about, coming from a former mgmt person, I wonder why no one wants to be a sup anymore? You cant fix crap, and you have no protection.
I can't answer the first part because I don't know what you were told. Management is what you make out of it. If you choose to be part of the problem instead of part of the solution then you won't fix anything. And yes, you do have way more job security in a Union than Management. You will be happy to know that I have found another forum that is more conducive to what I am trying to do. This will be my last night on this forum.

OldMan

Locked into a demonstrated level of performance? After "tweeking" the dispatch by cutting bulk stops and NDA stops to other routes, massaging the loads, reducing stop count during the ride, etc? How is this a fair process?
It is not a fair process if that is what is happening. No one could hold you accountable unless they did the same thing everyday.

OldMan

And "doing the job" is a fairly subjective term. Would you say that an hourly "not" doing the job is or could be a direct reflection on how those hourly have been managed? So if you mismanage an employee would you be able to ask their "opinion"?
I totally agree. And you would not be able to get an honest opinion from an employee that is treated like that because they would not trust you.

OldMan

A few months ago a part time sup with PAS experience left UPS and now works for Amazon. All kinds of rumors going around Amazon is poaching UPS sups with PAS and center operations experience.
UPS Management has always had opportunities with new start-up shipping companies just because of UPS's reputation. But, they still my fit into that companies management culture. Some management people I know have failed at other companies because of this.

OldMan

UPS management is going to be nothing but "yes men" under the DM level. As soon as they can get the older ones out, they will start paying new college kids less and less to do the job. Computers are already doing the job for them. All they have to do is follow what it says. Run 100 cars? Sure let me just hit this button that is the 100 routes for the day.
I am not going to debate you on what will happen in the future. I can only relate to the experiences I have had.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I can't answer the first part because I don't know what you were told. Management is what you make out of it. If you choose to be part of the problem instead of part of the solution then you won't fix anything. And yes, you do have way more job security in a Union than Management. You will be happy to know that I have found another forum that is more conducive to what I am trying to do. This will be my last night on this forum.
Please by all means, share this wonderful forum that is so conductive to your plight

OldMan

Why become a supervisor? Why not make less that I already do? Why not be told to preach safety but stray from it the moment it affects production? Why not tell drivers to falsify documents to cover my ass on a report to make myself look better? Why not throw someone else under the bus to save my own ass? The minute someone goes into management they have to adapt to survive. That usually means you have to be willing to put yourself in front of everyone else no matter what. I like being able to sleep at night because I did my job and didn't have to blame someone else for not doing it.
I want to apologize for being rude last night. I felt that I could not be successful unless the people under me were on board and helping me accomplish my goals whether they realized it or not. I attribute my success because I refused to operate the way you think it goes. Like I have said, I am only relating to you the way I operated. I certainly am not speaking for the rest of management at UPS.

rod

Retired 22 years

OldMan

Why are we strong armed into contributing to United Way? My supervisor acted as if I was Satan himself because I chose not to contribute. What type of incentives does management receive?
Management does receive any incentive from the United Way. I have to admit I feel the same way you do. I think people should only contribute when they want to. During the last strike their was an article on the news that the United Way had set up sandwiches somewhere in Florida for the striking workers. I can guarantee their were a lot of management people I knew, including myself, that never wanted to give to the United Way after that. I do understand people who support it because they had been helped by the United Way. But I do agree that it was shoved down our throats. If someone like Jim Casey started this back in the day I think upper management feels that the people owe it give for Jim. Not that I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.