right to work law

• Thread starter seasonal helper
  • Start date

ski or die

Ski or Die
Indiana is a right to work state now, if the contract wasn't modified after march 14 of 2012 you would have to join, since the contract was changed/modified after that date, UPS has to follow the law, I will let a lawyer decide just how Kosher it is. Indiana law state that lawyer fees would be paid for by UPS if they did in fact create a misdemeanor.

Interesting. On Craigslist under Rants and Raves out of Indianapolis, you have a post. You complained that when you were removed, that not one person of the 30 or 40 people there stood up to back you up, in this post you quote 2 different number of people. You also said that you would like some of the people to join you in a class action suit against UPS, yet none of them stood up for you. And also, you mentioned a link that you were going to use to obtain free legal service. Are you not able to obtain a lawyer who would work on a percentage basis because none of them feel you have a solid chance of winning? So in this post you state Indiana law requires UPS to pay for your fees? Too many lawyers, too many lawsuits, people just trying to get a free ride.

PT Car Washer

Paying dues for a BS 5 week temporary job? At what seasonal help gets paid? Not!
Maybe 5 weeks. UPS only works you when they have to. You have no guarantee of the number of hours or days a week you will be working. Just wait by the phone and be ready to jump when UPS needs you for 2 hours or 10 hours. I would let it go and move on.

Ashell

A chance to get a 100k job plus benefits,down the line.

"chance" is a misleading word. They already know who they are going to promote. Seniority and all that crap are just to make you think its fair. Its a lot of song and dance. Its no different from any other company. They also expect a lot of give backs and working off the clock to get that job.

I'm in a RTW state and we are not required to join the union. Secondly, you can fill out the paper work to join and then just send a letter saying you changed your mind. Its probably to late for that though. There is a good chance the person that signs you up to join the union gets money for each sign up. So she may have lied to you to make more money for his/her self.

Honestly UPS is hell. If there is an amazon near you, I would look into that for seasonal work.

O

OLDMAN3

"chance" is a misleading word. They already know who they are going to promote. Seniority and all that crap are just to make you think its fair. Its a lot of song and dance. Its no different from any other company. They also expect a lot of give backs and working off the clock to get that job.

I'm in a RTW state and we are not required to join the union. Secondly, you can fill out the paper work to join and then just send a letter saying you changed your mind. Its probably to late for that though. There is a good chance the person that signs you up to join the union gets money for each sign up. So she may have lied to you to make more money for his/her self.

Honestly UPS is hell. If there is an amazon near you, I would look into that for seasonal work.
Is this the anti-union line now? You obviously have no clue how the bidding process works, or perhaps you are just bitter. You sound like perhaps you tried to drive and did not make it. It is so unfair!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I live in a right to work state also, and although you would be paid $10 an hour you would still have dues deducted from your check as that is the contractual agreement in my area for seasonal hires. I pay dues voluntarily and have for my entire career.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I live in a right to work state also, and although you would be paid $10 an hour you would still have dues deducted from your check as that is the contractual agreement in my area for seasonal hires. I pay dues voluntarily and have for my entire career.

Are they allowed to opt out?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Are they allowed to opt out?

I would think yes, as state law would supersede contract language. On the other hand, the dues may fall into another category since helpers normally get zero representation and aren't really joining the union as a temp.

Ashell

Is this the anti-union line now? You obviously have no clue how the bidding process works, or perhaps you are just bitter. You sound like perhaps you tried to drive and did not make it. It is so unfair!

You can look at my post history and see I tried to go driving. First they gave me a trainer who just sat there and didn't really train me. Then they complained about how I was going slow. Part of the reason I was slow was because I would spend about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to enter things into the diad like unscheduled picked ups and other oddball stuff. My trainer either didn't know or acted like she didn't know. Then tried to lay me off for a day. In some regions this is allowed, X days out o Y days. But the contract just changed and this language is not in our rider that I know of. I immediately talked to the steward about it, and he just blew it all off saying they can do what they want. I had bid on fulltime driver. I have and email saying I was going to class for FT drive. After I got paid, the rate was at 28.05, which is not FT driver.

So yes I tried to go driver. But to me it was obvious as hell they were not going to let a person like me get a good paying job like FT driver. No my job is to pick up their scraps. Something to be bitter about? Stuff like this happens all the time. And the union just lets it. People that have been here less than a year are FT driver now and I have been here busting my ass for much longer than that.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Now that friend of the working class Scott Walker got re-elected the push is on to pass right to work legislation in WI. Time to invest in trailer parks.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Now that friend of the working class Scott Walker got re-elected the push is on to pass right to work legislation in WI. Time to invest in trailer parks.
We in Illinois will soon be joining you in the race to the bottom under Governor Rainer.