Season helper - anyone had problems with their driver?

Overpaid Union Thug

Last time I checked....there are 2 sides to a story and we're only reading one side. Of course the whiny helper is going to paint himself in a positive light and make the driver look like he's the devil for leaving him. "I was just doing my job and he kicked me out and drive off."
Yea...like a kid's explanation for getting into a fight at school. "I didnt do anything....he just walked up and punched me for no reason." I don't buy it.
Short of assaulting the driver the helper should have been returned to his vehicle instead of being left on the side of the road like that. Sounds like the driver wanted his helper to run and cut through people's yards in the process. I bet he was also putting up to ten stops in the cab and taking other shortcuts as well. All because he is gutless and thinks he has to works unsafe and ignore the methods because UPS over dispatched him. But either way the helper should have been returned to his vehicle. Abandoning him on the side of the road was a dick move.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Last time I checked....there are 2 sides to a story and we're only reading one side. Of course the whiny helper is going to paint himself in a positive light and make the driver look like he's the devil for leaving him. "I was just doing my job and he kicked me out and drive off."
Yea...like a kid's explanation for getting into a fight at school. "I didnt do anything....he just walked up and punched me for no reason." I don't buy it.
Either way, the driver should not have dropped the helper off anywhere but their vehicle. That was extremely rude and unprofessional no matter what happened beforehand.

Overpaid Union Thug

Yeah I agree with you, usually I want to side with the driver on these, but I believe the runner/gunner chain-smoker was not getting what he wanted out of the helper , got frustrated and "took charge".
I bet he is one of those people that runs and guns all year and wonders why UPS keeps "stealing" more time from the routes. LOL. Then peak season comes and he is expected to run 400 stops. I can see why the guy is so damn frustrated. LOL.

Gear

Parts on Order
Being a bit of a dick is saying the wrong thing with an attitude. Not smoking in my face and leaving a paid employee behind. And he has no family. He has a girlfriend and he rents if it matter.

How are part-time employees making 10 an hr entitled and spoiled? It's not the GED grad in a Union making 70k a year who can't be fired no matter what?

I have to get a lawyer because this is completely unjustified, unethical and wrong.

Welcome to UPS, the land of entitled :censored2:bags. You'll find that most :censored2:bag employees find their way here, that explains all the negative replies. Drivers seem to think they have the hardest job in the world, and that everyone owes them something. The helper should do all the hard work so he can just seat in the drivers seat. Peak is a 4 week period of full trucks, the rest of the year is just normal work. Some guys get all stressed out about having to actually do something. Its 4 weeks, get over yourself. I just had a driver pull in my bay so it could be unloaded, I told him this is my bay to repair trucks and that he couldnt park here. He knows where the mechanics work. He got all upset, like I was the :censored2:bag. He huffed and puffed, drove the truck outside the bay and just walked off, with the truck loaded. I guess he thought valet would get his truck for him. The car washers had to park the truck for him.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I've been out 3 days in a row, and 2 of those days were fine, but today the driver had a hair across his butt. Trust me, I understand how tired and over-worked people are. But his behavior was unacceptable. I am wondering how others are feeling.
welcome to brown cafe. however i am getting tired of new members being so vague. and if you are so smart why are you just a helper and not the ceo of this company. jesus christ.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The driver is a :censored2: and an :censored2:. Only that type of person would do that to a helper. Why abandon a helper like that? Because he wasn't "fast" enough? LOL. It's just a job delivering packages for Christ's sake! LOL!

I agree with what you said and I will change my post by saying that YES the driver was unprofessional and should have brought the helper back to his/her pickup spot.
That being said, I still think the OP reeks of Summer's Eve and should just take another career path.

Jonathan Carlson

True, but I doubt Justin will come on here and see this thread. I filed a formal complaint. He'll hear about it one way or another.

Short of assaulting the driver the helper should have been returned to his vehicle instead of being left on the side of the road like that. Sounds like the driver wanted his helper to run and cut through people's yards in the process. I bet he was also putting up to ten stops in the cab and taking other shortcuts as well. All because he is gutless and thinks he has to works unsafe and ignore the methods because UPS over dispatched him. But either way the helper should have been returned to his vehicle. Abandoning him on the side of the road was a dick move.

It was a dick move, to say the least. Thank you. Also, he was in a sour mood from the start, and his attitude and impatience with me were uncalled for. Oh well.

welcome to brown cafe. however i am getting tired of new members being so vague. and if you are so smart why are you just a helper and not the ceo of this company. jesus christ.

I was vague initially, but I thought I cleared things up (if you believe my story). I am a helper because that's the temp job that was advertised and when I applied they took me on. (along with a lot of other people). The CEO job was not available, but I don't have any c-level experience anyway; and I am not a graduate of a top MBA school (UPS CEO went to Delta State).

Too bad. I think you would like me. I would focus on the morning sort and reduce mis-loads. Also, going from $10.10hr to 8.4 million would be nice. Perhaps if people look at the CEO like Jim Kramer does then he willl lose his job. The stock is down almost $15 this yr.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/23/ups-mcdonalds-ceos-need-to-be-in-the-hot-seat.html

"Mr. Abney’s total compensation package rose to nearly $8.4 million in 2014 from $4.1 million in 2013" http://www.wsj.com/articles/ups-ceos-total-compensation-more-than-doubles-in-2014-1427194323

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
True, but I doubt Justin will come on here and see this thread. I filed a formal complaint. He'll hear about it one way or another.

It was a dick move, to say the least. Thank you. Also, he was in a sour mood from the start, and his attitude and impatience with me were uncalled for. Oh well.

I was vague initially, but I thought I cleared things up (if you believe my story). I am a helper because that's the temp job that was advertised and when I applied they took me on. (along with a lot of other people). The CEO job was not available, but I don't have any c-level experience anyway; and I am not a graduate of a top MBA school (UPS CEO went to Delta State).

Too bad. I think you would like me. I would focus on the morning sort and reduce mis-loads. Also, going from $10.10hr to 8.4 million would be nice. Perhaps if people look at the CEO like Jim Kramer does then he willl lose his job. The stock is down almost $15 this yr.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/23/ups-mcdonalds-ceos-need-to-be-in-the-hot-seat.html

"Mr. Abney’s total compensation package rose to nearly $8.4 million in 2014 from $4.1 million in 2013" http://www.wsj.com/articles/ups-ceos-total-compensation-more-than-doubles-in-2014-1427194323
A formal complaint....so you have time to do that....but you don't have time to find a real job? That still doesn't mean he's going to get fired.....lol

Did you get a lawyer like you said you were going to?

35years

Gravy route
So I say "A big one, huh" because I need to think about getting the hand truck. He says "No, it's a small one! Want the hand truck" in a manner that implies I might be a pusillanimous. I pick it up to test the weight because he refuses to tell me the actual weight and determine I can carry it up this hill

they told us to use walkways in training so that's what I am going to do."

He said "Give me the package" I said "No,I can do it"

In addition to smoking while driving, I think Justin violates other rules (like taking a paid lunch; instead he takes a few 10 min breaks). I am not inclined to go after someone's job because of a minor infraction, but this is ludicrous. He deserves to be fired.

Well then, I will get a lawyer and call the news. This prick is going to pay for what he did.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like you think you need to be in charge after working here 3 days...
-I question where the driver parks.
-I determined that we got a lot done on previous days.
-I need to think about getting the hand truck.
-I wont hand the box back when told to do so.
-He doesn't tell me the actual weight like I wanted him to.
-I think the driver breaks the rules.
-I think he needs to be fired.
--------------------------------------------
I have had helpers like you.
You are not in charge.
He should not have made you walk, but he was right in dropping you off.
He probably could do the job faster without you, and wouldn't have to listen to you questioning all his decisions.

He may have been mad that he asked the bosses not to assign you to be his helper, but then the 2nd driver rejected you, and so they gave you back to him.

-

Last edited:

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
So I say "A big one, huh" because I need to think about getting the hand truck. He says "No, it's a small one! Want the hand truck" in a manner that implies I might be a pusillanimous. I pick it up to test the weight because he refuses to tell me the actual weight and determine I can carry it up this hill

they told us to use walkways in training so that's what I am going to do."

He said "Give me the package" I said "No,I can do it"

In addition to smoking while driving, I think Justin violates other rules (like taking a paid lunch; instead he takes a few 10 min breaks). I am not inclined to go after someone's job because of a minor infraction, but this is ludicrous. He deserves to be fired.

Well then, I will get a lawyer and call the news. This prick is going to pay for what he did.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like you think you need to be in charge after working here 3 days...
-I question where the driver parks.
-I determined that we got a lot done on previous days.
-I need to think about getting the hand truck.
-I wont hand the box back when told to do so.
-He doesn't tell me the actual weight like I wanted him to.
-I think the driver breaks the rules.
-I think he needs to be fired.
--------------------------------------------
I have had helpers like you.
You are not in charge.
He should not have made you walk, but he was right in dropping you off.
He probably could do the job faster without you.

He may have been mad that he asked the bosses not to assign you to be his helper, but then the 2nd driver rejected you and so they gave you back to him.

-
I have just one question here. What happened to just putting rejected helpers to the bottom of the list by the coordinator?

35years

Gravy route
I have just one question here. What happened to just putting rejected helpers to the bottom of the list by the coordinator?
He probably was at the bottom, hence he was bounced between drivers.
And any formal complaint will be negated by his refusal to work as directed...
(would not give the box back to driver).

35years

Gravy route
And once he refused to work as directed, the driver terminated his employment with UPS. At that point the driver has to consider if it is safe or wise to drive the disgruntled former employee in the truck. The driver could be fired for giving a ride to a non-employee. If the driver was given the go ahead to terminate the helpers job. It is likely that management was aware of problems with the helper since he was not assigned to the first driver after day 1.

35years

Gravy route
I had a helper one year that would complain about having to lift anything over 30 or so pounds. I told my management team about it. They said the helper needed to lift up to 70 lbs as a condition of her employment and if she refused, I was to fire her. She was gone, and I was able to get a helper that actually worked.

I started helping out drivers last Tuesday. The drivers have all been pretty decent people, nothing major. Only thing I had much of a problem with was the one I had Sunday told some jokes that made me kind of uncomfortable (as in, they hit a bit close to home), but not enough for me to throw a fit over. The work's been fun, in a weird way. Like, carrying boxes isn't all that exciting on its own, but I do like to help people in whatever way I can, and having a constantly changing environment and exchanging a short greeting with the people I bring packages to is nice. All four drivers I've worked with so far all seemed genuinely happy with my help and said it was a pleasure working with me. Not sure if they were just being nice though.

Reading this thread is somewhat of a surprise that so many helpers are apparently just plain inept since a lot of it just feels like common sense to me. I mean, I've made a few mistakes so far, the worst being that I got lost in a retirement home trying to deliver a package for a bit, and some things with the DIAD, but complaining about having to lift more than 30 pounds is absurd. Maybe I'm just used to doing a lot of lifting because of how many times my family has moved while growing up, but I don't know why you would sign on to a job that asking for lifting up to 70 pounds. I guess they just don't take it seriously when the supervisors say it will be a physically demanding job.

I don't know why the OP is bothering with all of this though instead of just calling in to report the Driver's behavior if it was so terrible. That's the first thing I would do if a driver's behavior was unacceptable to me, even then, it would only be because a driver asked me to do something outright dangerous.