Someone Clarify Thanksgiving Holiday Changes??

By The Book

Local 804 (along with the 177) also has supplement language that insure union employees cannot be forced to work on the day after Thanksgiving.

You folks worried about working that day might want to ask your union leadership why such language is not in your supplement.
Are you saying the entire membership in these locals doesn't have to work that Friday? Help me help you come back from parts unknown.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are you saying the entire membership in these locals doesn't have to work that Friday? Help me help you come back from parts unknown.

Yep, you don't have to work if you don't want to if you are in the 804 or 177. Double time if you volunteer.

By the way, all that corporate nonsense about working that day to help with peak is a pile of dung. Nobody should have to work that day if they don't want to. The Christmas backlog was a next day air overflow problem caused by the lack of cutoff date, plain and simple.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yep, you don't have to work if you don't want to if you are in the 804 or 177. Double time if you volunteer.

By the way, all that corporate nonsense about working that day to help with peak is a pile of dung. Nobody should have to work that day if they don't want to. The Christmas backlog was a next day air overflow problem caused by the lack of cutoff date, plain and simple.

There is no denying that working that day will make for a smoother transition in to Peak.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
There is no denying that working that day will make for a smoother transition in to Peak.

We never had any problem that day. Sure, it's a little heaver, but nothing we can't handle. Surely nothing that justifies giving up a nice mini vacation for. Also, there are no next days (that day) to deliver since they are done on Friday by volunteers, so that helps. Maybe things are different in other locations?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Gotta love 804! ;)

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The real question is who in the Union allowed this. Here is the language from the Central region supplement:

ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS
Section 1

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the
following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day, Memorial
Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after
Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve-regardless
of the day of the week on which the named holiday falls, provided
they comply with the qualifications set forth hereinafter.

One (1) of the qualifications is that regular seniority employees
must complete the regularly scheduled workday which immediate-
ly precedes or follows the holiday, except in cases of proven illness
or unless the absence is mutually agreed to. Full-time seniority
employees shall receive eight (8) hours straight-time pay and part-
time employees shall receive four (4) hours straight-time pay for the
above designated holidays though not worked.

Section 4
Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority
employees required to work on any of the above named holidays
shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked
with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees and four
(4) hours for part-time employees. Also, no employee shall be
required to work on Labor Day unless authorized by the local union

Inthegame

I disagree, back when they offered that day at straight time(or 1.5 time, can't remember which) for air only, they had to force people to work, but a few contracts ago when it went to double time, they didn't have to force anyone to deliver anymore.
As usual, you are correct. I still had feeder issues in my mind from answering another post. Trailers moved for "air support" were paid straight time while any ground activity, including shifting is/was 2X.
Now ALL work will supposededly be paid at 2X (lets see how they squirm out of that). Hope all FT's demand their guarantee and scheduling gets pared back next year.
I'm an old enough fossil to remember delivering (straight time) all over Timbuktu when it wasn't a holiday as I foolishly reported my closures. Next year All my stops were open.

Inthegame

The real question is who in the Union allowed this. Here is the language from the Central region supplement:

ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS
Section 1

Section 4
The language allows it. Read section 4

22.34life

the last contract said that any employee who is FORCED to work on a ups holliday will be paid double his hourly rate for all hours worked.now that was the last contract and not this one and since nobody has a hard copy of this one yet who knows what the current language is.my personal opion is that if your a package car driver your gonna work if your inside its probably 50/50.the last holliday language was pretty cut and dry to me but yet it seemed almost impossible to get a clear answer from anyone on what they actually got paid.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS
Section 1

Section 4

The language allows it. Read section 4
How does section 4 trump what is said in section1?
Section 4 says "except as otherwise provided in this agreement", which it is otherwise provided that a regular seniority employee not be required to work on this day in section 1 which I highlighted.
The 2 sections seem to contradict one another?

Inthegame

How does section 4 trump what is said in section1?
Section 4 says "except as otherwise provided in this agreement", which it is otherwise provided that a regular seniority employee not be required to work on this day in section 1 which I highlighted.
The 2 sections seem to contradict one another?
If section 1 was absolute, section 4 would be unnecessary. Obviously UPS forecast a future possible need and had sec 4 included years ago.
My disappointment is the IBT didn't demand to negotiate this new "regular work day" when as you pointed out sec 1 clearly states it is a holiday.

If section 1 was absolute, section 4 would be unnecessary. Obviously UPS forecast a future possible need and had sec 4 included years ago.
My disappointment is the IBT didn't demand to negotiate this new "regular work day" when as you pointed out sec 1 clearly states it is a holiday.
Impasse?
Any more questions??