St. Patrick's Day

moreluck

golden ticket member
Irish Colcannon

Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins

Serves: Serves 4

Creamy mashed potatoes with cooked cabbage and green onions. So good!
Ingredients
  • 6 - 7 medium potatoes
  • 3 cups chopped cabbage
  • salt and pepper
  • about ½ cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 6 green onions
Instructions
  1. Peel the potatoes and cut into several pieces. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until fork tender. Drain very well.
  2. Slice the cabbage into slivers while the potatoes cook. Chop the green onions including some of the green part.
  3. Mash the potatoes with an electric mixer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add enough of the milk to make creamy mashed potatoes.
  4. Bring a pan of water to a boil. Add a ½ teaspoon salt. Add the cabbage and cook until just tender, about 3 - 5 minutes. Drain well.
  5. Stir the cooked cabbage and green onions into the mashed potatoes. Serve
Recipe by Recipes Food and Cooking at http://recipesfoodandcooking.com/2015/02/24/irish-colcannon/

moreluck

golden ticket member
b094c9d094b0ae835bd75a936d1e38e9.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Dublin Coddle (Irish Bacon, Sausage, Potato, and Onion Stew)

IMG_D010.jpg

Prep time
15 mins
Cook time
55 mins
Total time
1 hour 10 mins

Ingredients
  • ½ lb (225g) bacon strips
  • 1 lb (450g) pork sausages
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • Pepper
  • 12 oz (340g) leeks, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp dried thyme
  • ¼ cup chopped parsley
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1½ lbs (675g) potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 3 cups ham or chicken stock
  • Salt
Instructions
  1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until just starting to crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Slice half length-wise and then halved cross-wise. Set aside. Reserve bacon fat in a bowl.
  2. In the same Dutch oven cook sausages until evenly brown, adding a little bacon fat if necessary. Remove and slice length-wise then halved cross-wise. Set aside.
  3. Add a tablespoon of reserved bacon fat back to Dutch oven. Cook onions for 2 to 3 minutes until soft but not brown.
  4. Layer onions, sausages, and bacon at the bottom of the Dutch oven. Season with lots of pepper.
    DublinCoddle1.jpg
  5. Add leeks, garlic, thyme, parsley, and top with a layer of potatoes. Season with more pepper and salt to taste.
  6. Pour in the stock. Cover and bring stock to a boil.
    DublinCoddle2.jpg
  7. Transfer to a preheated 350°friend (180°C) oven for 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  8. Serve with chunks of soda bread.

moreluck

golden ticket member

May You Never Forget What Is Worth Remembering, Nor Ever Remember What Is Best Forgotten...Sláinte!!! (you pronounce it slaan-sha) It translates literally to health, so it comes out to I drink to your health! Take care my friends!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Tipsy Leprechaun Cocktail

Drink Recipes
Description
An easy and yummy cocktail made with Guiness, Irish Whiskey, Irish Cream Liqueur and ice cream
Category
Cocktails

Ingredients

1.5 ounces Irish Whiskey, such as Jameson’s
1 ounce Irish Cream Liqueur, such as Bailey’s
3 ounces Guinness Stout
2 scoops vanilla
2 ounce chocolate syrup
Optional garnish: Maraschino cherry
Method
Glaze a pint glass with chocolate syrup. Blend ingredients and add to glass. Garnish with cherry.
Serve
Long glass

a8ca2979a9908d245e8799fcad3f9cfe.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
What are the odds of this guy being Irish?

View attachment 72865

That sounds like some of the goofballs I used to drink with. I know a guy who once was so drunk no one wanted him in their boat on opening morning of the fishing season. He got pissed and drove back home (45 miles), got his airplane and buzzed us on the lake. I still can't figure how that damn fool is still alive.