Surepost changes due soon?

10 point

On my last annual ride my sup explained the single sure post packages where you go there for 1 package. He said if at the time they are at the hubs sometimes feeders will advance up volume. This will seperate the other ground or sure post pkg that was to go with the single pkg. that explains why you have been getting single deliveries with one sure post pkg. I don't think the close proximity pkgs have came back yet.
That could be true. Forecasted libs.
I also had a sup tell me that the customer requests their delivery to come out of the p.o. and pay more for the pkg(s) to get there via ups. I asked a few customers that got a single surepost pkg (without a ups pkg too) if they paid more to have it rerouted via ups and they all said "What? No."

The contract deals with close proximity surepost.

10 point

If you have a stop and there is a sure post packages let's say 2 houses down that will be union work. The way it was explained to me is if there is a "regular" deliver ie pure ups label near the surepost we are supposed to get the work..as for 3cubic ft and 10lb rule my preload doesn't have a auditor to determine if that rule is being violated as I believe it is and has been

Sent using BrownCafe App
I run a country route now. It spans four counties and I can't tell you how many times a day I will run several MILES to del one or two surepost pkgs with absolutely no ups volume to go with it.

The dispatcher says that I need stops and so he gives me surepost stops to fill in.

He also told me that ups has to pay the p.o. $1.50 per pkg everytime we del their surepost work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you have a stop and there is a sure post packages let's say 2 houses down that will be union work. The way it was explained to me is if there is a "regular" deliver ie pure ups label near the surepost we are supposed to get the work..as for 3cubic ft and 10lb rule my preload doesn't have a auditor to determine if that rule is being violated as I believe it is and has been

Sent using BrownCafe App
Well the package weight is printed even on sure post packages. I've seen a few 10-12lbers come thru the last few weeks that have gotten kicked out to us.

10 point

Well the package weight is printed even on sure post packages. I've seen a few 10-12lbers come thru the last few weeks that have gotten kicked out to us.
We need a daily print out and some tape measures up on the decap area.

There goes their pph.

Maybe there's some combo 22-3 job seed. Get um while they're available.

10 point

I wonder if sure post will end up being more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. The company may wish they had never started it.
They will endure it because FedEx dumps a ton of surepost at the p.o. (you'll probably never notice it in small p.o.'s but in the larger ones they drop more than we do).

I heard that FedEx started the program and we jumped on board.

10 point

One Christmas season I was scanning what seemed like an endless mountain of bags at the p.o. dock (and there was another P8 coming with more that wouldn't fit in my P10) when a preppy looking postman came waltzing over to my truck.
He said "Well, I guess it's more efficient for the post office to deliver all these packages than it is for you ups people to".

I stopped scanning and looked him square in the eye and said "UPS netted about 5 billion last year and you postal folks lost 6 billion. Which company is efficient? Have a nice day".

He turned around and walked away in silence.

By The Book

There should became plan in place.

Let's hear it. We want to pull the reports every single day. (It's not that we don't trust them.)
I hear you. I'm going to be contacting my local to inquire about this next week. Heck I'll even check the reports against regular deliveries. I'll also ask my preload manager .

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One Christmas season I was scanning what seemed like an endless mountain of bags at the p.o. dock (and there was another P8 coming with more that wouldn't fit in my P10) when a preppy looking postman came waltzing over to my truck.
He said "Well, I guess it's more efficient for the post office to deliver all these packages than it is for you ups people to".

I stopped scanning and looked him square in the eye and said "UPS netted about 5 billion last year and you postal folks lost 6 billion. Which company is efficient? Have a nice day".

He turned around and walked away in silence.
I actually heard a few years ago the post office threatened to drop sure post. Couldn't handle Xmas volume. We started keeping some of the volume after that.

CHALLY9TX

So anybody with post office deliveries noticing change in volume? I'm tired of all that work not being delivered by ups

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

Why are you opening the bags? We are supposed to scan the barcode on the bag only.
On my old route i had to del the largest po in the center. There were ALOT of bags and often a label would come off somewhere down the belt so we had to scan all the pkgs in the bags instead. We worked as instructed.

I noticed that many of the businesses I went to daily had surepost pkgs in the bags too.

10 point

Sometimes they stuff so much into those forever bags that they split open and pkgs flow out on to your floor when "loaded". You find a lot of duplicate stops in those bags.

10 point

Because that's what the PDS told us to do at that time. I would have up to 50+ bags a day plus loose pkgs and about 215 stops to del and 30 pickups. So when you're missing up to three or four tags a day it was easier to dump and scan in their minds. Gave me more pcs too.

This was when surepost rolled out and they had a hard time getting it all done at peak.

Heck, we had "ghost" tags in our EDD often that had no pkgs associated with them.

10 point

We found those lost labels stuck to other pkgs, wheel wells, belts, the next day. They evidently didn't tape them down very well. Better at it now.

I'd have 900+ pcs daily in surepost delivered to the po at peak. There were many times business customers would ask me where their pkgs were because they tracked then into our building and they saw it was "out for delivery".

Last edited:

By The Book

Why are you opening the bags? We are supposed to scan the barcode on the bag only.
I haven't emptied bags since they were labeled. I was letting op know I haven't looked in bags to notice the duplicate addresses he was already delivering to. Good suggestion on the find barcode.