This ones for all you Guys and Gals who like to BEAT ORION

FilingBluesFL

One of the Orion geniuses instructed a driver out on a small island one day to "take this little cut through right here..."

Idiot instructed driver to drive down a boat ramp in to a canal...

I don't know why the driver didn't work as instructed...

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
When Orion is telling me to deliver a 80 piece bulk stop at 3 pm and it would be my 97th stop I shut it off. My On Car might give me lip the next day but he will never ride me and show me how I should be able to work around those 80 packages for 6 hours.

I think he thinks I am magic or something.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
One of the Orion geniuses instructed a driver out on a small island one day to "take this little cut through right here..."

Idiot instructed driver to drive down a boat ramp in to a canal...

I don't know why the driver didn't work as instructed...

Orion does that with one way streets also. Now should I follow orion down a one way street would I get faulted for the head on that is about to happen, or would Orion?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I think we all can agree that Orion in some areas of your route works well, other areas becomes detrimental to delivering safely and efficiently. Some days it seems that dispatch turns the Orion BS dial to 9 or 10 while other days it almost follows your EDD trace stop for stop.

There are some areas of my route where I learned to do it differently to save miles and I use that knowledge to be more efficient. But when I have to rotate between ODD and EDD every few minutes to make sure Orion is not screwing me over, I actually have to work harder mentally which makes it a worthless tool.

The first day when it made me do a stop on a side street during my air run, then 2 hours later I went back to said street and delivered 2 more became the last day I used it 100%.

degill7994

There have been discussions on the FE forum about their version of Orion and why it works or does not. Came down to a pretty simple deal, whenever you are under a firm time deadline and your Orion trace is based on wrong times, it will never work.

Our LV building time can be anywhere from 8:50 to 9:05. My understanding is that the Orion time will always program the 'best case scenario' and have a leave building time at 8:50. That means, most days, a driver is leaving the building already behind. That would not matter if there are no time commits, but if there are, it will mean breaking trace and every break will add time.

Railroads discovered over a decade ago that there are too many variables to run a scheduled railroad. UPS appears cannot learn from history, so they are doomed to repeat it.

/My suspicion is that the routes where Orion works, are the ones with no NDA or very few and no pick ups or a very late pick up and no bulk.
Still doesn't work!

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ORION's fundamental flaw is really quite simple.

One the one hand, the company is saying that the ORION solution is better and that the driver is no longer competent or trustworthy enough to make the correct decision about what order the stops should be delivered in.

On the other hand, the company is saying that the ORION solution "might" be wrong up to 15% of the time, so the driver should continue using his best judgement for the remaining 15% of the time.

These two positions are incompatible. They conflict. It is a logical fallacy for the company to try to defend them both at the same time.

HULKAMANIA

The next version, which will shuffle your EDD throughout the day, is what they are working toward.

If thats the case and they are sooooo smart why cant they set up EDD the way Orion should be from the get go? They step over dollars to pick up dimes it sounds like to me. Having a driver digging around in the back of a truck all day, which by the way should be a safety issue, is absurd. I thought one of the methods was having your selection area read for the next stops? I guess they just chose to ignore that one....Oh wait...that happens alot around here haha.

JackStraw

In order for Orion to work, you have to be willing to make multiple residential K-turns during the course of the day. Whereas you normally would keep moving forward and go around the block, its way of saving mileage is for you to turn around to save a tenth or two at a time. I find myself zig-zagging all over my route just to save a mile or 2. Yet my over allowed has gone up. I can't see Atlanta signing off on this KNOWING how much backing is involved. I refuse to back.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
If thats the case and they are sooooo smart why cant they set up EDD the way Orion should be from the get go? They step over dollars to pick up dimes it sounds like to me. Having a driver digging around in the back of a truck all day, which by the way should be a safety issue, is absurd. I thought one of the methods was having your selection area read for the next stops? I guess they just chose to ignore that one....Oh wait...that happens alot around here haha.
UPS- spend a dollar to save a nickel, freakin retards lol.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We are required to follow it. I was two hours late, no doubt, but I followed it. I had no room for a tote box, to pull the section out I was to deliver after my air, so I stopped and pulled them out, one gruesome morning I had, but lunch was good.

JackStraw

They can't! They have no way of knowing exactly what is coming down the pike. Yea they can forecast bulk stops, but as far as individual stops, they can't get them 100%. Later down the road, look for it to be able to shuffle your delivery order.

Rico

Orion is fairytale non-real world until they fix it. After PCM this morning I looked at that orion computer for the first time. It had me taking lunch at 11:30. I start at 8:40 and contractually my lunch starts between the 4th and 5th hour. Next...it had me getting to my pickups 32 minutes late. Finally there was no allowance for my 2 10 minute breaks in their calculations of where i would be when...The lunch location it had me at was a residence 7 miles from the nearest place i could take a lunch. Add all that with the fact you get zero mileage for on demand pickups and what do you get Orion? Oh yeah. A big plate of FAIL.

8:40 start? When I was driving it was an 8:10 or 8:20 start.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I think we all can agree that Orion in some areas of your route works well, other areas becomes detrimental to delivering safely and efficiently. Some days it seems that dispatch turns the Orion BS dial to 9 or 10 while other days it almost follows your EDD trace stop for stop.

There are some areas of my route where I learned to do it differently to save miles and I use that knowledge to be more efficient. But when I have to rotate between ODD and EDD every few minutes to make sure Orion is not screwing me over, I actually have to work harder mentally which makes it a worthless tool.

The first day when it made me do a stop on a side street during my air run, then 2 hours later I went back to said street and delivered 2 more became the last day I used it 100%.

I dont think "WE" can agree that ORION works on any part of our routes.

The real problem with ORION, is that there is NOBODY who will listen to us when we return with real time data on the efficiency of ORION. The center managers dont want to hear it. The On road sups dont want to hear it. The ORION engineers dont want to hear it. NOT a single one of them wants to be the person who jumps on that grenade and tell the company that it doesnt work.

In our center, our daily average is 178 miles OVER plan using the ORION system. 178x20=3560 over miles every month using this system.

This isnt a success story, but for whatever reason, at the hub level, not one person wants to admit the system is failing to work as promised.

Overtime is also going through the roof. Misdeliveries, next day air failures, missed pickups and such have become a large problem for the centers, yet, ORION is still the primary directive.

The company went forward with ORION because someone sold them alot of B.S. about its benefits for the company.

If only the company started an entity to follow up with ORION and listen to the drivers. Start a group to visit centers and ride with drivers and allow the drivers to run ORION the way its given to the driver and see if it really works.

Allow the drivers to point out the failures of the system and actually drive the streets where ORION is making bad decisions.

Somebody at some point has to care that drivers are being placed into hazardous situations with ORION. Somebody at some point has to look at the cost of overtime and the increase in miles using ORION.

All the B.S. at center level to hide the failures of ORION has to come to the surface at some point but only UPS can open a window to the truth.

Problem is, nobody is listening.

TOS.

Rainman

Its all good.
8:40 start? When I was driving it was an 8:10 or 8:20 start.
A few years ago we started at 8:30. Today I left the building at almost 9:30. Can't get the package cars loaded on time. 30 minute drive to the first stop. 10:30 air commit. Makes the job interesting on days like today.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I dont think "WE" can agree that ORION works on any part of our routes.

TOS.

By "WE", I meant sensible intelligent drivers

white-coats.gif

Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
All kidding aside, They do accept feedback from you but will give you every excuse why they couldn't implement it on your trace. I had 3 Orion rides and we were all in agreement on what needed to be done. The first guy blamed our dispatch sup because he needed to fix the EDD trace. Then the second guy just basically didn't do anything he said he'd do.

After my airs, I shut off Orion and do my best to keep miles down.