Time to bump up that 401k

By The Book

Remember last year I fell under the highly compensated employee heading and our plan didn't allow me to put the max (18k) and forced me to take back 4K? This is might be a response to the plan failing to meet the threshold of contributions so us "rich folks" can max out the 401k
Can you explain your sitch in lay mans terms, in less than 35 words? Were you using the accelerator and without lowering the percentage it would of put you over the max of $18,000?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Can you explain your sitch in lay mans terms, in less than 35 words? Were you using the accelerator and without lowering the percentage it would of put you over the max of $18,000?
I made 127k last year and was unable to contribute the maximum under the Prudential Retirement plan. The reason for this was because of a law that restricts employees of companies that are deemed highly compensated, to contribute the federally allowed maximum to their own 401ks if not enough lower earners of the company aren't contributing enough to their own 401ks

The reason for this is to prevent the HCE (highly compensated employees) to use the 401k as strictly a tax shelter and to incentivize the lower employees to contribute to keep the HCE's able to contribute the max.

The problem UPS has is we are offered a pension, so many don't think they have a reason to contribute to the 401k in the first place. Secondly, I have no control over decisions that are made as I'm just a driver, but am being punished because I worked my ass off to achieve that level of salary last year.

Needless to say, one of the reasons I'm not working as much this year is because of the aforementioned.

Sorry that it's not 35 words or less, but I hope I cleared up any confusion.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have my 401k accounts that were rolled over from previous employers at an outside firm. I make catch up payments to that account at the end of the year.

All a 401K/IRA does for you is give you tax advantages. You can still save money other places, without restrictions, and still get some tax advantages.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If
We were going over our savings the other day, debating whether to contribute more, but we can easily make a 1/2 house payment every week, so that is the route we are taking. I do an auto withdrawal, so it is just like saving, it gets taken out of my account before I have a chance to spend it.
you have maxed out your retirement plans , a good course of action is to pay down your mortgage no matter the interest rate. we started adding an extra 100 a month to the principle and quickly bumped it up to 500 over a few years. did not really miss that money when I ran the numbers.

the mortgage was paid off in 17 years instead of 30 and we saved about $135,000 in interest . The BIG bonus was that I was able to retire 5 years earlier . I did not have to wait for social security to help pay the house payment.

and the peace of mind is priceless.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
All a 401K/IRA does for you is give you tax advantages. You can still save money other places, without restrictions, and still get some tax advantages.
I should have stated I do ROTH401k contributions. ROTH401k/IRA's and 529 educational accounts are the only investments that the growth is tax free at withdrawal. I'd include HSA accounts if used for medical, but that's really an insurance product.