Tool talk

rod

Retired 22 years
A CNC would be nice, but massively expensive. I had a temporary job assignment running a big Mori Sekei lathe threading pipe. BOOOOORING. I looked forward to stopping every 20 pieces to measure with a micrometer.
A lack of adequate CFM can really slow down a project. I was modifying an intake manifold this last Summer with a die grinder and it took forever because I could only go about 30 seconds before pressure was too low.

Between high school and when I got drafted I worked in a machine shop in Rockford, Ill running a helical mill. Ten hours a day/six days a week pushing the same half a dozen buttons all day long. For a couple of months we went to 12 hours a day/six days a week. The money was great but it sure got old fast. Needless to say we got super drunk on Saturday night and slept 3/4th of Sunday.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Between high school and when I got drafted I worked in a machine shop in Rockford, Ill running a helical mill. Ten hours a day/six days a week pushing the same half a dozen buttons all day long. For a couple of months we went to 12 hours a day/six days a week. The money was great but it sure got old fast. Needless to say we got super drunk on Saturday night and slept 3/4th of Sunday.
I almost went to work with a machining company but decided to stay with UPS.
They wanted me for my computer programming with about 3 - 4 years on the machines half-time to learn it the "real way".
The company was out of business within 10 years. Oh well.
I think I would have liked it.

A CNC is awesome but for what it would cost, how good my skill level on it would be, and the amount I would use it, it'd be a far better investment to go to my friends shop and pay him to do it right the first time and spend the rest on more everyday used tools. Like ,oh (daydreaming) a big capacity brake, hydraulic tube bender, english wheel, and so on. Oh, and a 4 post lift.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A CNC is awesome but for what it would cost, how good my skill level on it would be, and the amount I would use it, it'd be a far better investment to go to my friends shop and pay him to do it right the first time and spend the rest on more everyday used tools. Like ,oh (daydreaming) a big capacity brake, hydraulic tube bender, english wheel, and so on. Oh, and a 4 post lift.
Yes a two and four post lift will go in immediately. If I do eventually get a CNC. It'll likely be a joint purchase with a few other people.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When I first saw it I was thinking at least $10-15. Good deal!
Honestly I never paid any attention to the coupons they send out for free stuff. I assumed it must all be complete crap.

Another forum I'm on was talking about how many free items they have from there. And that some of it is decent quality. I figured well it's free and only a few miles away I'll take a shot.

rod

Retired 22 years
Honestly I never paid any attention to the coupons they send out for free stuff. I assumed it must all be complete crap.

Another forum I'm on was talking about how many free items they have from there. And that some of it is decent quality. I figured well it's free and only a few miles away I'll take a shot.

Every time I go to Texas I hit up Harbor Freight about every day I am there with a pocket full of coupons. I must have at least a dozen free LED lights now. I wish I was there the other day. They had a 2,500 lb.12 volt atv electric winch with a wireles remote control for $48 bucks. That's like stealing it. I would have bought one in a heart beat----even though I've got a couple other ones already. They list it at 120 bucks normally but you could always use one of their 25% off coupons. One thing about Harbor Freight---everything is always on sale.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That would be it. Used a coupon to get it free today. That and an led work light. $0!!!!

If it's that blue, oval light, it will go bad on you eventually, just about the same time as the batteries start to go. But, for free, just go back for another. I think I have 5 or 6 of them around the house, including 2 stuck to the fridge!

Harbor Freight is great for speciality tools you only need for a specific job, and if you do break them, they have a pretty darn good return policy.

Edit:They have coupons and free offers every day on their website.