Tool talk

oldngray

nowhere special
The MicroSlice is a mini laser cutter & engraver. It is controlled using an Arduino UNO. It uses Open Source software and is able to cut paper, and engrave wood & plastics.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm rare in that I'd rather have a corded tool actually.

Once upon a time, I had a pretty nice Craftsman corded reciprocating saw. Then, one day, it fell off the face of the earth.

I think it was borrowed, then re-borrowed, and possibly re-borrowed one more time.

It's all good, though. The 'original' borrower (my son, I'm sure, although he denies it to this day) now owns both a corded and a cordless Milwaukee reciprocating saw, and he lives one block away from me.

(Payback can be a b*tch!)

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a Milwaukee Sawzall disappear out of the back of my pickup at the local race track one night. I searched the 2 local pawn shops for it for 6 months but it never did reappear. Whoever got it must have needed it.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
I got a craftsman reciprocating saw last year for Christmas. Don't know how I lived without it. As for Harbor Freight, quality is sketchy at best. I bought some C clamps from there that were cheap pig iron and broke as soon as I used them the first time. A roofing nail gun that lasted two hours and a hammer that broke after 2 months. Some good deals sometimes though. We have one less than 10 minutes from me so I usually go there and geek out once or twice a month.

rod

Retired 22 years
I got a craftsman reciprocating saw last year for Christmas. Don't know how I lived without it. As for Harbor Freight, quality is sketchy at best. I bought some C clamps from there that were cheap pig iron and broke as soon as I used them the first time. A roofing nail gun that lasted two hours and a hammer that broke after 2 months. Some good deals sometimes though. We have one less than 10 minutes from me so I usually go there and geek out once or twice a month.

I've never had any trouble with any of the tools I got from H/friend. Granted you wouldn't want them if you were a professional contractor but for the most part they are ok for the average Joe. Did you try to return your tools that broke? I've got a $15 dollar coupon special air brad nailer that shoots up to 2 1/4 inch brads that I use all the time and it hasn't missed a beat in the 3 years I've had it. I fully expected it to blow up being it was so cheap but the dang thing has really impressed me. I used it the other day while building the wife a quilting table and knocked off about 200 staples without it messing up once.

Turmlos

Anyone ever use a needle scaler?
I have both Harbor Freight models, although I have yet to use the larger one. I used the smaller one to clean rust & scale off the bottom an old lawnmower decks & chassis parts on my truck in preperation for treatment with "Chassis Saver". It worked great in both cases, even with an oilless 2HP/33 gallon compressor. Just keep it away from thin sheet metal... Also, wear good gloves along with hearing & eye protection. The continuous vibration can tire you out quickly, and it is LOUD. Your neighbors will hate you. I'm just a PT slacker, so I save jobs like this for when everyone else is at work.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
I've never had any trouble with any of the tools I got from H/friend. Granted you wouldn't want them if you were a professional contractor but for the most part they are ok for the average Joe. Did you try to return your tools that broke? I've got a $15 dollar coupon special air brad nailer that shoots up to 2 1/4 inch brads that I use all the time and it hasn't missed a beat in the 3 years I've had it. I fully expected it to blow up being it was so cheap but the dang thing has really impressed me. I used it the other day while building the wife a quilting table and knocked off about 200 staples without it messing up once.
Yes. They were very nice when I returned the nail gun. Even exchange and a 10% coupon. The c clamps I didn't worry too much about.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Finally found a large pair of c clamp vise grips. Made in the USA.

I think I'm done for awhile........or until I find my next pair.

rod

Retired 22 years
I thought deep throat was a movie?

It was more than just a movie. It was tame by todays standards but it was revolutionary at the time.

Trivia fact:

Deep throat was what killed the "Beta" format and led to VHS winning the "Bet/VHS" war in the 70's. Deep Throat was only released on VHS so that killed Beta.