What are the pros/cons of joining the union?

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
After leaving work earlier today, as I walk through the guard shack to the parking lot, I see a table set up and about 20 individuals standing there with blue Teamsters shirts on. They didn't try to talk to me at all but I did stop a Teamsters representative in the parking lot to ask a few questions. He informed me he was with the Teamsters organization and if I plan on making UPS a career (which I do) then I should join the union. So I would like to know is it beneficial to join, and what are some of the pros/cons.

After leaving work earlier today, as I walk through the guard shack to the parking lot, I see a table set up and about 20 individuals standing there with blue Teamsters shirts on. They didn't try to talk to me at all but I did stop a Teamsters representative in the parking lot to ask a few questions. He informed me he was with the Teamsters organization and if I plan on making UPS a career (which I do) then I should join the union. So I would like to know is it beneficial to join, and what are some of the pros/cons.
Number one. Anytime some stops you and claims to be a teamster, do a card check

Number two, if you plan in working here for awhile I would suggest joining the union
It's kind of like having homeowners insurance.

I don't know all the inner politics of it, but I used to be a mechanic and I just wanted to work. But if the boss was friends with other workers, and knew Joe Blow needed to get his boat fixed so they could go fishing (an example), Joe got all the work and money. Everyone else replaced wiper blades and ate Mac and cheese for a week. Union is a lot more fair. Boss wants you gone so he/she can get his neighbor in your spot, no Union, just tell you "they no longer have a position for you anymore" and can you. Managers just think you're weird because you don't like football or something, (or write 12 page relplies on Brown Cafe) or they just have their favorites, oh well. So they don't like you. In the Union, it's no reason to fire you. In exchange for weekly union dues, which aren't much, you have backing. I don't have $$$ and time lying around to get a lawyer and fight for my job. So, those are the personal reasons I appreciate the Union. Plus, I'm weary of people thinking just because you work with your hands, that you're stupid and don't deserve to reap any of the benefits for a company when they are clearly doing quite well.

I don't know all the inner politics of it, but I used to be a mechanic and I just wanted to work. But if the boss was friends with other workers, and knew Joe Blow needed to get his boat fixed so they could go fishing (an example), Joe got all the work and money. Everyone else replaced wiper blades and ate Mac and cheese for a week. Union is a lot more fair. Boss wants you gone so he/she can get his neighbor in your spot, no Union, just tell you "they no longer have a position for you anymore" and can you. Managers just think you're weird because you don't like football or something, (or write 12 page relplies on Brown Cafe) or they just have their favorites, oh well. So they don't like you. In the Union, it's no reason to fire you. In exchange for weekly union dues, which aren't much, you have backing. I don't have $$$ and time lying around to get a lawyer and fight for my job. So, those are the personal reasons I appreciate the Union. Plus, I'm weary of people thinking just because you work with your hands, that you're stupid and don't deserve to reap any of the benefits for a company when they are clearly doing quite well.
If you are in a right to work state,you have a choice. If you are not in a right to work state, you must join.