What happens if minimum wage goes up?

TUT

Minimum wage can and has been frozen for years at a time, prices still increased. As prices rise, people need more money, this mins should always be raising as well.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Minimum wage can and has been frozen for years at a time, prices still increased. As prices rise, people need more money, this mins should always be raising as well.

Yes it should.

But it should raise to keep up with inflation, not to jump $7 an hour so a family of 6 can live off of it.

TUT

Yes it should.

But it should raise to keep up with inflation, not to jump $7 an hour so a family of 6 can live off of it.

That hike is because it wasn't keeping up and lets do this, lets say the Conservatives win, they don't think it should go up. They'll happily go another 10 years at said mins. So lets say it is 2025 and now we want $15, everything else had been raising all along. But no we should just move it baby steps because. See that is where we are at today, it should already have been much higher, so now you got to give it a real hike to start correcting it. It going to $15 is at least what it should be and would have been if there were a cost of living adjustment all along. If you work 40 at minimum and you still qualify for gov't programs, that is a bad system and deal. If you work 40 hours and cannot make ends meet, that has to be the definition of job fail. I work full time to make ends not meet.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Heaven forbid private for profit business pay a livable wage when public assistance will subsidize their cheap wages.

That's not what I said.

If a guy is making minimum wage, maybe he should have realized that he cannot afford to have kids until he got a better job.

People need to take responsibility.

Raising minimum wage by almost 100% will do nothing but skyrocket inflation.

The price of everything will drastically go up to cover the extra cost of labor.

The minumum wage earner will break even. His raise will just cover the increased cost of goods and services. Everyone else will lose.

Goods and services will skyrocket, but nobody else will get this raise, just minimum wage earners.

Economics 101.

MAKAVELI

That's not what I said.

If a guy is making minimum wage, maybe he should have realized that he cannot afford to have kids until he got a better job.

People need to take responsibility.

Raising minimum wage by almost 100% will do nothing but skyrocket inflation.

The price of everything will drastically go up to cover the extra cost of labor.

The minumum wage earner will break even. His raise will just cover the increased cost of goods and services. Everyone else will lose.

Goods and services will skyrocket, but nobody else will get this raise, just minimum wage earners.

Economics 101.
So what? Then maybe everyone else should get better jobs. You know, take personal responsibility.;)

arice11

So what? Then maybe everyone else should get better jobs. You know, take personal responsibility.;)

That's some mighty fine theory. But in reality if the government will give you food and pay you money for kids, why take any personal responsibility? You don't have to these days, and that's something the current administration is proud of. To quote the Doctor "Why are humans so quick to be dominated? Its like you want it. Easier to just go along with I suppose"

oldngray

nowhere special
min wage worker.jpg

MAKAVELI

That's some mighty fine theory. But in reality if the government will give you food and pay you money for kids, why take any personal responsibility? You don't have to these days, and that's something the current administration is proud of. To quote the Doctor "Why are humans so quick to be dominated? Its like you want it. Easier to just go along with I suppose"
My post is in response to anyone who complains that prices would go up for everyone else making more than min wage. Why people look down on others working min wage jobs is beyond me. Just because someone flips burgers or washes dishes in a restaurant doesn't make them are any less of a person. There is absolutely no reason, in the richest country in the world, someone working 40 hours a week should not be able to provide the necessities to survive.

Browndriver5

My post is in response to anyone who complains that prices would go up for everyone else making more than min wage. Why people look down on others working min wage jobs is beyond me. Just because someone flips burgers or washes dishes in a restaurant doesn't make them are any less of a person. There is absolutely no reason, in the richest country in the world, someone working 40 hours a week should not be able to provide the necessities to survive.

They could survive just fine. McDonalds isn't a career. People need to stop looking at the fast food industry as a career and being a cashier at wal mart as a career. It's a stepping stone job.

MAKAVELI

They could survive just fine. McDonalds isn't a career. People need to stop looking at the fast food industry as a career and being a cashier at wal mart as a career. It's a stepping stone job.
Most survive because of public assistance. If the goal is to get people off public assistance, then the minimum wage needs to go up , regardless of what you think someone's career goals should be.

JL 0513

The large majority of jobs near the minimum wage are worked by students still living with their parents. As such, these students aren't on government assistance. It is an entry into the job market to aquire your first work experiences and a source of personal spending money for teens. Their parents still cover the bases.

For those that are older, out of school, and still stuck at these jobs, they have likely been doing it long enough to have gone up at least a few bucks over the minimum. It's still not enough to support a household on, and frankly it never will be. It can never be. That's not how life works. Life is damn expensive and you better figure out a way to adapt to it. Otherwise, you will live a tough life.

Lot's of people make poor decisions in their lives. They start doing drugs early on. They drop out of high school. They get pregnant at 15. These are choices that doom the rest of your life in most cases. While those people are screwing around, the other portion of society is working hard in school and is dedicated to a steady path in life. And oddly enough, they get good jobs and lead successful, happy lives. Funny how that works. There's always going to be winners and losers. Government can't change that. You have to decide as a teenager which one you'll be. It's not the successful person's fault that the unsuccessful person dropped out of school, did drugs, or did whatever to throw their life off track.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
The large majority of jobs near the minimum wage are worked by students still living with their parents. As such, these students aren't on government assistance. It is an entry into the job market to aquire your first work experiences and a source of personal spending money for teens. Their parents still cover the bases.

For those that are older, out of school, and still stuck at these jobs, they have likely been doing it long enough to have gone up at least a few bucks over the minimum. It's still not enough to support a household on, and frankly it never will be. It can never be. That's not how life works. Life is damn expensive and you better figure out a way to adapt to it. Otherwise, you will live a tough life.

Lot's of people make poor decisions in their lives. They start doing drugs early on. They drop out of high school. They get pregnant at 15. These are choices that doom the rest of your life in most cases. While those people are screwing around, the other portion of society is working hard in school and is dedicated to a steady path in life. And oddly enough, they get good jobs and lead successful, happy lives. Funny how that works. There's always going to be winners and losers. Government can't change that. You have to decide as a teenager which one you'll be. It's not the successful person's fault that the unsuccessful person dropped out of schools, did drugs, or did whatever to throw their life off track.
If part of your premise is that if you dropped out of school (college) or never went, then you don't deserve to make a livable wage, that's really sick.

How hard of an idea is it that if you work at least 40 hours at 1 or 2 PT jobs, you should be able to live.

I didn't say live well.

Since this sight consists mainly of truck drivers, pt dock workers and retirees, you would think there would be more respect for the working man.

Anthonysg0113

Working 40 hrs per week at a REAL job not burger flipping. If minimum wage goes up 100%, the driver top rate buys a lot less! Keep that in mind when voting in 2016!

MAKAVELI

Working 40 hrs per week at a REAL job not burger flipping. If minimum wage goes up 100%, the driver top rate buys a lot less! Keep that in mind when voting in 2016!
A REAL job is one that pays buddy. What a job entails doesn't make anyone lesser of a person than yourself. Here's a clue the general working class couldn't care less that someone making $100k would have less buying power.

Last edited:

JL 0513

If part of your premise is that if you dropped out of school (college) or never went, then you don't deserve to make a livable wage, that's really sick.

How hard of an idea is it that if you work at least 40 hours at 1 or 2 PT jobs, you should be able to live.

I didn't say live well.

Since this sight consists mainly of truck drivers, pt dock workers and retirees, you would think there would be more respect for the working man.

First, I did say high school, not talking college. How can someone drop out of high school and expect to make it in life? I'm sorry, but if this is the decision you make, I have no sympathy for you. High school is the absolute minimum these days. Hundreds of thousands of responsible college graduates in this country can't find a job. What do you think no high school diploma should get you?

I have two college degrees, then found UPS and decided to worked my butt off for over 5 years PT for the prospect of driving and the pay that goes with it. How many PT'ers do you see work to the point of being able to drive? Most quit. It's only the most dedicated that make it. So yes, it's "just truck driving", but high paying driving jobs are all really hard to get, in any company. So when we get it, we worked for it.

Again, this notion of a "living wage" keeps coming up. I've responded to this before.
Nobody can define what a living wage is. It's different for everyone. Do you define the wage as being able to support just the worker himself? OK, same job, different scenario: Single mom, 3 kids. Still a living wage? OK, so say we have a set wage that is livable in Alabama. Does this wage allow you to live in a Manhattan apt? How about if you're a guy who is divorced who now pays half his check to child support payments? How high would his living wage have to be?

I could do this all night, but liberals will continue to believe everyone is the same and America should be the land of guaranteed results regardless of what's put in.