Whos safer?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by margaritaville, Apr 12, 2014.

1. margaritaville

margaritaville Active Member

Scenario: say you FINALLY go fulltime driving after you use to pass it up when they called. You have been there for 10 years. Now someone else has been there 4 years but they went fulltime the first chance they got. So now they have more driving senority then you in terms of vacations, getting days off, etc. But u have been at the building 6 years longer than them.

Now say something happens where they lay off mass drivers. New competition, work automation, whatever. I know drivers get sent back to the building if they are laid off for an excessive amount of time. But who is completely out of work and on the streets first if you are both drivers?

2. Brown stains

Brown stains Active Member

They guy with less ft seniority so the guy with 10yrs pt time is out first

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. margaritaville

What if they both get sent back to the building?

4. Brown stains

Then they are both screwed

5. margaritaville

Well they still have health insurance and and some income atleast. Im just wondering who is completely on the streets and outta UPS first. Yes this a pretty freak scenario.

The reason im wondering is a 4 year driver that got bumped back to the building couldnt bump at a 10 year part timer who never went driving i would assume?

6. Mr Shifter

Mr Shifter Active Member

Two part time employees would be displaced for a full timer if they chose to get their 8 he guarantee.

7. margaritaville

oh snap! so you could be a part timer who works at ups 20 years and still get replaced by a 2 yr full timer in a disaster economy collaspe scenario? good to know... That is what i was mainly getting at.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

This had happened in my building a few years ago. As long as both employees are qualified to do the job, in this case driving. Layoffs go by company seniority. The person that has the most company seniority worked first even though the driver had less full time seniority.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

1 day FT > 100yrs PT when it comes to right to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Key word qualified.

11. Brown stains

E
    This ends the question

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  12. margaritaville

well that is what i was wondering, so good to know. i thought hardcore loyal part timers had more power.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  13. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

You passed up full time driving in the past.

14. Xexys

Xexys Retired and Happy

Wrong...building seniority comes first in mass layoffs, so long as the pt worker has transferred to drivers before the layoffs start.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  15. Xexys

Xexys Retired and Happy

Building seniority rules all in layoffs. A pt worker that has 6 yrs working goes ft. A full timer has been there 4 years and has 4 years on said pt transfer worker. The building has mass layoffs and the new pt gone ft worker wins the bid.

16. Xexys

Xexys Retired and Happy

Winner! You could ask the Union to actually view the list of building seniority. It may even be posted on the bulletin board.

17. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

This is not true. I was hired off the street and have classification seniority over 3 drivers who have more company seniority than I do. If layoffs were to occur I would work before any of them would.

18. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

That must be a Local thing.

I don't know of any situation, where part-time building seniority

would trump full-time seniority.... for anything. Certainly, not in a layoff situation.

-Bug-

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. stink219

stink219 Well-Known Member

Where are you getting this crazy information?

Sent using the conscience of Local 251

20. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Isn't it layoffs by category? If its full time layoff then its FT seniority that is most important and if they are laying off part timers then it reverts to PT seniority?