Whos safer?

PT Car Washer

I don't think it would be too hard to qualify for unloading feeder trailers. Yes the laid off FT would have to have more company seniority to bump the PT person.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I think they would have to be qualified to do the PT job and would displace the least senior PT employees.

In the Central.... a full-timer would displace the least seniority part-timer (or 2).

Unless the position, requires passing a "sort test".... there is no qualifying.

I don't think it would be too hard to qualify for unloading feeder trailers. Yes the laid off FT would have to have more company seniority to bump the PT person.

Umm.... if your Local has not hired part-timers in years....

But, I doubt that is the case.

I have a pulse and can breathe fog on to a mirror----pretty sure I am qualified.

You have a job.... for life. :biggrin:

We all do.

-Bug-

1000RR

I have 7 years part time in so far. If a full time driver that has been with the company gets laid off, he CANNOT bump me. These are the rules in my area.

JM_UPS2005

We hire weekly at the Mesquite TX hub. I doubt Any layoffs will happen. We're still working 7 hours a day PT

Sent using BrownCafe App

1000RR

Sorry I left something out of my first post. If I have 7 years part time and a 5 year full time driver get laid off he cannot bump me. It is different for parts of the country.

1000RR

When working inside the hub. A driver can bump 2 part timers to get his 8 hours. but only if driver has more company seniority than the part timer.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Sorry I left something out of my first post. If I have 7 years part time and a 5 year full time driver get laid off he cannot bump me. It is different for parts of the country.
Same in 639. A laid off FT driver can only bump PT workers with less company seniority.

thessalonian13

Scenario: say you FINALLY go fulltime driving after you use to pass it up when they called. You have been there for 10 years. Now someone else has been there 4 years but they went fulltime the first chance they got. So now they have more driving senority then you in terms of vacations, getting days off, etc. But u have been at the building 6 years longer than them.

Now say something happens where they lay off mass drivers. New competition, work automation, whatever. I know drivers get sent back to the building if they are laid off for an excessive amount of time. But who is completely out of work and on the streets first if you are both drivers?
If they have to layoff so many people then it's a moot point. UPS would be out of business and probably and the US economy in the crapper.