km3

You lose you guarantee, but you are still entitled to the work if you have higher seniority.

I don't think that would fly, to be honest. It's called a guarantee because it's guaranteed. If someone with higher seniority came in late, and there's not enough volume for the people who are entitled to be paid for the whole shift, they can send the person who was late home without consequence.

F

Frankie's Friend

It is unacceptable for management to be late, nothing in my post should be taken to say it is ok. In my experience management were by and large very punctual. My start time as an ORS was usually about 1.5 hours prior to driver start. I can only think of a couple times in 3 years I was late, and can't think of a single time I was less than 1 hour prior to driver start. I never worked for a manager that would tolerate "chronically late" ORS' as you claim yours are. That would be an aberration in my experience and is completely unacceptable.

So you are claiming it is fine for union employees to show up late and they should fight for their guarantee and any discipline, but reprehensible for management to do it? That seems like a somewhat hypocritical stance to take.

Edit: your operation has other problems. The PDS and early AM OMS' should be notifying on call drivers prior to the ORS' getting there. Although, this is one of those tough areas - The on call drivers (we called them cover drivers) should be notified an hour before start, and yet, scheduled drivers have until an hour prior to call out. So, how can you really know your staffing before an hour prior?
Dont put words in my post. I dont believe it is acceptable for anyone to show up late. The rest of your post is presumption and not worth the time responding to. I have a strong dislike for management that says one thing yet holds hourly accountable for the very things they do wrong themselves. BTW you have evidently "never worked for management" that we have. Over two decades i have watched crappy and immoral management break all kinds of rules and laws and retain their jobs. I have no use for your words of defense because words are cheap. When i retire i will always remember two kinds of people in this lauded company:
The scummy management i had to work for and the crooked BAs that were in bed with them. This is not the bog you paint.
PS: have a nice day.

F

Frankie's Friend

@brownIEman , do you think that your rendition of how management is held accountable is consistant across the board? I have seen differently.
Ive seen management change the start time of at least one female to keep her from having lates because she was "desirable" all the while holding male employees accountable for their infractions. Ive seen a couple of employees "skipped" over (one got skipped over/scheduled off 96 days in one year) and other employees held accountable for 6 in 9 mo. Ive seen a certain female driver given a family vacation (scheduled off all week) when she had none and yet other drivers were being held accountable for their lates and call offs. Do you wonder why there is so much outcry over disciplinary issues? Ever think that all management should handle attendance issues honestly, applying the discipline evenly across the board? Sorry, im not witness to your kind of topical integrity, implemented uniformly throughout the company. I am not witness.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
They may have more than enough employees to run the sort and anybody late gets sent home with a little gift.

IESucks

Hello folks. This post is to bring an urgent issue to discussion. At the DFW Airport Hub #0764, anyone who is late, even by a minute or seconds are having their in-punch changed to NCNS then sent home for the day. A NCNS on the work record does subject an employee to immediate termination or letter with intent to terminate on short or no notice. This policy has the potential to unfairly punish even the best workers. To add insult to injury, one of the hub supervisors along with shop steward said this practice was approved by the labor manager.

Yes, there are those who are habitually late at my hub, often more than 10 minutes. There are those who have got away with not showing up for days on end or taking time off at will; read: not mentioning names because those who work Sunrise #0764 already know who they are. These habitual offenders should be dealt with without having 1000 employees walking on eggshells.

There are only a few reasons for this move on part of management. One is to make most new employees quit showing up thus saving on unemployment costs. Second is use the NCNS on employee records as a means to build a case to later terminate; long-term employees should be rightfully concerned about this, even the best ones.

I've spoken to an HR person and full-time supervisor from another hub in another part of the country and got some good input. To help protect yourself, you must do the following:

1. ALWAYS clock-in, even if late. Reason being is there is a record of your arrival. The supervisor will have to edit your punch to an NCNS. Your punch will show as deleted then resubmitted as NCNS on the punch log.
2. If your WOR shows an inaccurate punch or NCNS, DO obtain a copy of your punch log from management or HR office.
3. Always keep your own record of all times worked. Check your paystub weekly against your own record of monies owed.
4. NEVER work off the clock, no exceptions! Don't do any signing, PCMs, safety quizes, etc... Clock in first always!! Yes, an employee got a NCNS for doing a safety PCM at the front door.
5. If late, even by a minute, do note the reason. Everyone will at one point have their alarm clock fail, get a flat tire, or hit unusual traffic at some point.

Those five steps will allow you to build your own defense. Having your own defense ready is critical in the event you may need to save your job.[/QUOTE
Also to protect yourself, get to work on time.

Drink Craft Beer

Here, Sups usually call the PT'er if he or she is a no call-no show to see if they're on their way. If no answer they usually call the ones who called in an hour before start time to see if needed or not for that day to cover the NCNS.

If the NCNS calls or shows up after they've already told a call in to come in, then the NCNS gets told not to come in or gets sent home.

Bottom line ....... if you're going to be 5 or 10mins late, call and let them know. Yes it will be counted as a tardy but you won't be sent home.

brownIEman

@brownIEman , do you think that your rendition of how management is held accountable is consistant across the board? I have seen differently.
Ive seen management change the start time of at least one female to keep her from having lates because she was "desirable" all the while holding male employees accountable for their infractions. Ive seen a couple of employees "skipped" over (one got skipped over/scheduled off 96 days in one year) and other employees held accountable for 6 in 9 mo. Ive seen a certain female driver given a family vacation (scheduled off all week) when she had none and yet other drivers were being held accountable for their lates and call offs. Do you wonder why there is so much outcry over disciplinary issues? Ever think that all management should handle attendance issues honestly, applying the discipline evenly across the board? Sorry, im not witness to your kind of topical integrity, implemented uniformly throughout the company. I am not witness.

Yes, discipline should be applied evenly. However, management does have a certain amount of discretion, just as law enforcement does. The easiest way to not have to worry about who is getting disciplined for dependability and why, is to show up.
I always tried to be fair and even about discipline, as with all things. But I also used my discretion. I once gave a pre-loader a couple scheduled off to take care of some serious family issues with her children. I have no doubt that the bitter employees, if they found out, assumed I did it because she was attractive. As an ORS, I had a driver in my group that I would give a scheduled off if he wanted, or if he did not have days in the bank every year. Outside of seniority. He was a decorated former Marine, and he always wanted Veterans day off. Was I bending the rules? A bit, and anyone who had a problem with that was welcome to smooch my kiester as far as I was concerned.

My point here is that sometimes Sup's bend the rules not to screw anyone but to try and be decent human beings. I have no idea what type of management you work for. If they are all weak and crooked, I honestly feel for you, that truly sucks. The thing is though, I don't think you really know what type of management you work for. I have worked with many, many hourlies over the years with the attitude you seem to have from your posts. The one thing they all had in common is that any time they see management do ANYTHING, they will automatically assume it is being done with the worst, most nefarious motivation. Even if they really don't fully understand what was done, much less all the reasons for it. They will unconsciously misinterpret every word and act by management so that it fits their internal narrative of how evil all management are.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There are only a few reasons for this move on part of management. One is to make most new employees quit showing up thus saving on unemployment costs. Second is use the NCNS on employee records as a means to build a case to later terminate; long-term employees should be rightfully concerned about this, even the best ones.

You forgot about the real reason that they are doing this.

To get people to show up on time.

One minute late is a tardy, not a no call no show, and subject to the attendance occurance policy. They are falsifying records. When being sent home for being tardy after punching in, be sure to grieve to get your guaranteed time, or show up time, if allowed

I couldn't agree more.

If your late you give up your guarantee

Article, Section #?

In the central you don't get your guarantee if you're late. They usually don't send people home for the hell of it though.

Where does it state this?

I've heard this on here many times. Is this a supplemental thing? I ask because I don't see this any where in my contract.

Me neither.

In the supplement... employees who, when reporting to work as scheduled, shall receive the guarantee

That's not the language for the Central.

I'm still waiting for someone to quote the article and Section number from the Central.

F

Frankie's Friend

The thing is though, I don't think you really know what type of management you work for. I have worked with many, many hourlies over the years with the attitude you seem to have from your posts. The one thing they all had in common is that any time they see management do ANYTHING, they will automatically assume it is being done with the worst, most nefarious motivation. Even if they really don't fully understand what was done, much less all the reasons for it. They will unconsciously misinterpret every word and act by management so that it fits their internal narrative of how evil all management are.
Assumptions are your strong suit. Your ridiculous post epitomizes the disconnect between management and hourly. I see the situational ethics. They dont apply to my post. Im sure you are the company integrity poster child.
As i said before, talk is cheap. BTW: Theres a reason 200,000 teamsters didnt cross the strike line in 1997. You company boys treated hourly like trash and reaped the consequences of it. Nothing's changed. Management's credibility still sux.

worldwide

Hello folks. This post is to bring an urgent issue to discussion. At the DFW Airport Hub #0764, anyone who is late, even by a minute or seconds are having their in-punch changed to NCNS then sent home for the day. A NCNS on the work record does subject an employee to immediate termination or letter with intent to terminate on short or no notice. This policy has the potential to unfairly punish even the best workers. To add insult to injury, one of the hub supervisors along with shop steward said this practice was approved by the labor manager.

Yes, there are those who are habitually late at my hub, often more than 10 minutes. There are those who have got away with not showing up for days on end or taking time off at will; read: not mentioning names because those who work Sunrise #0764 already know who they are. These habitual offenders should be dealt with without having 1000 employees walking on eggshells.

I've spoken to an HR person and full-time supervisor from another hub in another part of the country and got some good input. To help protect yourself, you must do the following:

1. ALWAYS clock-in, even if late. Reason being is there is a record of your arrival. The supervisor will have to edit your punch to an NCNS. Your punch will show as deleted then resubmitted as NCNS on the punch log.
2. If your WOR shows an inaccurate punch or NCNS, DO obtain a copy of your punch log from management or HR office.
3. Always keep your own record of all times worked. Check your paystub weekly against your own record of monies owed.
4. NEVER work off the clock, no exceptions! Don't do any signing, PCMs, safety quizes, etc... Clock in first always!! Yes, an employee got a NCNS for doing a safety PCM at the front door.
5. If late, even by a minute, do note the reason. Everyone will at one point have their alarm clock fail, get a flat tire, or hit unusual traffic at some point.

Those five steps will allow you to build your own defense. Having your own defense ready is critical in the event you may need to save your job.

As the saying goes, early is on-time, on-time is late and late is unacceptable.

upload_2018-2-7_21-4-20.jpeg

herbigharo32

I would like to offer my final 2 cents on this.

First and foremost, I pity the supervisors who have to comply with this ridiculous, temporary rule. Yes, I say temporary because it is not being universally enforced on the entire hub. Preload is not affected on sunrise nor are other shifts in the same building. Furthermore, this reminds me why not to become a UPS supervisor. I told her it is not her fault and that there are no bad vibes on my part.

The greater problem is no one really cares. I was told to shut up twice at the hub and that I shall. If my coworkers don't care to try and change this, there is no need for me to spend any more time and energy. Therefore, I have nothing else to offer or mention in this regard.

Thanks very much for your input.

PS>> If this post gets trolled, I will ask admin to remove it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Central Region Supplement, Article 11, Section 1, Paragraph 2.

Part time employees when reporting to work as scheduled, shall be guaranteed a minimum of three and one-half (3 1/2) hours...

So, you are saying that 1 minute late means they are not showing up as scheduled?

I get the habitual abusers, but that is why there is an attendance policy. Why are the habitual tardy employees still working here?

That Section is also discriminatory against part timers because there is no similar language for full timers.

Here is the Section covering full time employees.

Section 7

Each full-time employee put to work shall have a daily guarantee of eight (8) hours of work. Any full-time employee reporting to work and not put to work shall receive six (6) hours’ guarantee. The guarantee may be broken by request of the employee using the appropriate company code.

Where does it say as scheduled?

It doesn't. They are discriminating against part timers. I would love to take this on.

Around here, even if a part timer is late, they allow him his guarantee.