$15/hr, Wage hikes tied to inflation? "On Topic"

Should wage hikes be linked to inflation?

• Total voters

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Which is why there is a 4 year progression instead of 90 days. Eliminate the 4 year progression in this contract.

The 4 year "progression" is a :censored2:ing joke. The IBT should be embarrassed that they included that trash in the last contract and I let them know it.

How in the hell do you call it "progression" when it's less than the general wage increases.

Brownslave688

Which is why there is a 4 year progression instead of 90 days. Eliminate the 4 year progression in this contract.
Here's what I would like to see.

Starting pay $12.50
30 days $13.00
6 months 13.50
12 months 14.50
18 months 15.00
24 months 16.50
30 months 17.00
36 months top scale 18.00

The top scale would increase with general wage increases just like drivers and there would be some red circling and such that would need to happen but I feel that's a pretty fair deal.

PT Car Washer

Starting pay $12.50
30 days $13.00
6 months 13.50
12 months 14.50
18 months 15.00
24 months 16.50
30 months 17.00

The top scale would increase with general wage increases just like drivers and there would be some red circling and such that would need to happen but I feel that's a pretty fair deal.
I bet the company would jump on that proposal because $15/hr will soon be the new minimum wage. Unless the economy goes into the toilet because of a trade war.

Brownslave688

I bet the company would jump on that proposal because $15/hr will soon be the new minimum wage. Unless the economy goes into the toilet because of a trade war.
It is not gonna be federal min wage and even if it was passed I'd bet it's not til 2025 or so. Which would give us another contract to make adjustments.

Trailer monkey

Starting pay $12.50
30 days $13.00
6 months 13.50
12 months 14.50
18 months 15.00
24 months 16.50
30 months 17.00

Here what it should be, and this could be done.
Start 50% of fulltime inside scale
One year 60%
Two years 70%
Three years 80%
Four years 90%
Five years Top rate
This would end the insane multi-tiered wage system, and it would not break the company

IzzyTheNose

There may be benefits, but they still make it hard to have a second full time job. You get 3.5-4 hours and then there's peak when they want you to work 9-10 hours. Tough to work two full time jobs that time of year. A higher wage would make it easier to get by with a second part time job instead of a FT + a PT job.

I agree with this completely. I work a second, full-time job for In N Out, and what concerns me , is that I've been working for In N Out for less than 2 years (a couple months shy of my anniversary), and my payrate is a little over a dollar higher than my payrate at UPS, yet I've been working for Brown for 10 years.

The way things are structured, I'll be forced to stay part-time, because finally landing that full-time bid will likely mean I'll get something like load/unload, and I don't want to have to load/unload for 8 hours when I'm in my 40's/50's.

So even when I finally retire from UPS, I'll still have that full-time job, working for In N Out, because I can't survive on a part-timers pension.

The benefits are great at UPS, but the pay and the full-time opportunities stink. At my building, a 15 year wait for an inside full-time position is the minimum. And I know enough drivers to be filled with the belief that driving isn't a better solution for my situation. The hours might be comparable to what I'm working two jobs, but the stress and the negative environment, are not.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I agree with this completely. I work a second, full-time job for In N Out, and what concerns me , is that I've been working for In N Out for less than 2 years (a couple months shy of my anniversary), and my payrate is a little over a dollar higher than my payrate at UPS, yet I've been working for Brown for 10 years.

The way things are structured, I'll be forced to stay part-time, because finally landing that full-time bid will likely mean I'll get something like load/unload, and I don't want to have to load/unload for 8 hours when I'm in my 40's/50's.

So even when I finally retire from UPS, I'll still have that full-time job, working for In N Out, because I can't survive on a part-timers pension.

The benefits are great at UPS, but the pay and the full-time opportunities stink. At my building, a 15 year wait for an inside full-time position is the minimum. And I know enough drivers to be filled with the belief that driving isn't a better solution for my situation. The hours might be comparable to what I'm working two jobs, but the stress and the negative environment, are not.

So true...The last several contracts has really shown just how much the negotiating committees cares about everybody's part time service, current and past. The total lack of monetary improvements with the vested part time years, that a vast majority of use have in the Central has been stagnic or lost ground with the retiree's cost for Health and Welfare. Why does it stop at 35 years and does not have the ability to increase or formulated in the matter of the IBT/UPS pension?

The part time pension is and has been always a money maker for UPS, just how many part timers ever collect a full service pension out of the thousands vested and quit before five years. I proposed that all our part time years be improved to 70 dollars per service year and the penalty rate be dropped to 3 percent rather than the current 6 percent before age 65. That would help most of us full timers get a better return for those part time years, increasing our pension benefit.

Another consideration is that when you do go full time in the Central, you do start under another pension plan that again is at that 6 percent penalty rate. I said this before but we had a 22.3 retire two years ago with 35 years in (20 part time and 15 full), his monetary retirement benefit was less than if he stayed part time, using that 6 percent penalty for those years prior to age 65.

This is a negotiable item, let us see if this concern is taken seriously or if the International will leave people behind as they have in the past. If you just study the members on these contract committees, how many of them are part time or even 22.3's. I am afraid in their minds they have come to the collusion that part time votes either for the election or contract simply don't count, all the improvements go to the majority or the squeaky wheels or into their own best interests.

Sure sounds like you are going to hang in there, I worked two jobs as a part timer and it is tough. If the pension issues get improved or settled, expect a lot of full time positions to open up if you decide to stay with UPS..best of luck

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Here what it should be, and this could be done.
Start 50% of fulltime inside scale
One year 60%
Two years 70%
Three years 80%
Four years 90%
Five years Top rate
This would end the insane multi-tiered wage system, and it would not break the company
Have you done the math yet? Whatever you do, don’t run a business. I’m all for taking a slice a pie for each of us but you’re looking to put us out of business.