2/11 Memphis ice

HedleyLamarr

I heard about another aspect of this weather bottleneck. Seems obvious, but I didn’t think of it. Not only can’t planes leave Memphis and Indy. Freight that’s received throughout the country each day can’t get flown out to the hubs, so it’s sitting in cans at each ramp. Most of what we picked up at our station yesterday never made it out. Pretty wild times.
Yep, we have tons of stuff piled up at the ramp. Another complication I noticed last night is that we are running out of containers. Handlers were just dropping freight on the floor last night as we had no containers to put it in.
I was talking to a 30+ year courier yesterday and he was saying he thinks next week will be worse than peak. He thinks it will be like the late 90's when UPS was on strike.

MassWineGuy

I think his theory is accurate. Multiply each ramp’s situation by at least a hundred. I was supposed to go in this morning but no flights came in. I don’t mind staying home.

Obviously, the weather is beyond control. But what could FedEx have done or still do to help minimize the oncoming chaos?

As unthinkable as it sounds, stop accepting new shipments. There’s no guarantee they will get there on schedule. And it only adds to the pile already overloading the system.

We can temporarily convert CSAs into baristas and serve coffee.

Working4the1%

I think his theory is accurate. Multiply each ramp’s situation by at least a hundred. I was supposed to go in this morning but no flights came in. I don’t mind staying home.

Obviously, the weather is beyond control. But what could FedEx have done or still do to help minimize the oncoming chaos?

As unthinkable as it sounds, stop accepting new shipments. There’s no guarantee they will get there on schedule. And it only adds to the pile already overloading the system.

Fedex could open a WARM weather hub...winter does happen..every year

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Fedex could open a WARM weather hub...winter does happen..every year
How far do you want to go? Mexico? They just need to invest in winter equipment. In Wisconsin our airport shuts down for maybe 2 hours max during a nasty storm. Only because they cant keep up with clearing the runways

El Morado Diablo

The stuff we picked up Mon/Tue is sitting at our ramp. They had no where to put anymore freight so the stuff we picked up Wed/Thur/Fri is sitting in our station.

Star B

White Lightening
How far do you want to go? Mexico? They just need to invest in winter equipment. In Wisconsin our airport shuts down for maybe 2 hours max during a nasty storm. Only because they cant keep up with clearing the runways
And even farther north we don't really close the airport unless visibility drops too low or they can't keep enough traction on the runway.

NC man

Went in at 830 this morn,37 stops. Only three were sat del. .Deld 100 stops last 3 days,that’s usually single day.Yea next week is gonna suck .

Working4the1%

Florida??SoCal?? Florida is actually a great hub for CentraL/South America also. The shortest flight from USA to Mainland Europe is Miami to Portugal...

!Retired!

Does FedEx supply them, or even reimburse you for your out of pocket?

Enlightenment: FedEx has much deeper pockets than any courier does.
I'm sure FedEx will reimburse you for a free program.
Some drivers I know pay $15 to $20 a month for routing apps.
Dumb
Dang. I don't know how much you've worked this week but you may have canceled your weekly minimum with that. :-\
I did. That's why I'm working tomorrow instead of today (we had choice). Today would have been straight time, tomorrow will be OT

Star B

White Lightening
Rumor has it the hub's started back up tonight. Our plane leaves in a few hours and then we get one in tomorrow morning.

It will be fine

We did that at Ground this summer. During the civil unrest when trucks weren’t being dispatched to the city they RTS’d everything going to those zip codes for a day or two while we got caught up. It doesn’t make sense to accept shipments that the network can’t deliver. Have to clear the backlog first.

AB831

Over promise service then make excuses is Fat Freddy’s mantra

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Only if the manager wants to be a prick.
Since that was your first thought it leads me in a certain direction as to what type of manager you are/were.

Just my personal observation.
People demand that policy be followed except when they don't like it.