2 tier pay system, easy 100 or not?

Brown58

#IamJairo
If the 'rights' man gets hired and UPS keeps their contributions to ALEC going, you sir or madam will be looking for work, when your proposed leader and his party move to more "Right to Work" and de-unionize more private and public sector workers. I am one to know that you do not need a college education to do this job, but you have proven to me that you do not need a formal education to be a teamster on the wrong side of history. I would call you a troll, but for your number of posts, and I know that my total is low.

I would not stand shoulder to shoulder with you sir or madam on the line. You are not my brother or sister.

stealth8

Wish you guys all the best in the new contract. After almost 33yrs in package I am parking my Pkg car for the last time on November 16, 2012! I will be able to experience a "normal" Christmas at home with my family. ;)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Gang,you have to convince the part timers that want to stick around and get a full time job not to vote on a 2 tier system or any signing bonus that is offered.The company will work on the P/Ters because there is more of them than friend/Ters and their votes count just the same.I was around in the '80s when they did that and like what was said here before, the P/ters took the money and ran.Also remind them they are taxed on that money and it is not truly what is offered,only 66% or so_One solution might be to defer some of the money into the retirement plan in your local.Thankfully the leaders of my local (639) got us a very good retirement and I got my ass the hell away from there.Good luck on this negotiation and remember to pay it forward as the ones the came before you did.Keep a united front and don't let the company screw you.

This brings up a good point PT complain about FT screwing them over now if they take a signing bonus and run FT could be crying about PT selling them out. They are two completely separate groups of employees with little in common. So I ask you all should we vote on separate contracts? I'm saying should part timers have their own contract and full timers their own. Honestly legally I have no idea how this would work or if it could even be done but it's interesting to thing about.

tae111

You think $50. per hour is high? When I started in 1976 the top pay was $7.15 per hour. I made almost twice what a police officer made and the same goes for teachers. My dad was an Engineer for Bell Labs and although he worked only 8 hrs. a day I was beating him by $1000. a year. When I got married in 1980 I was making more than twice what my wife did as a Regestered Nurse. How much would a driver have to make per hour to be in that position today?

tae111

If a two tier system even gets in the contract for a vote. You people seriously need to think about a change in Teamster leadership!

After 34 years of service at UPS and 31 1/2 as a steward....I have learned never to say "Never." The reason the Union still exists at UPS, is that the workers realize the company signs your check....not the Union!!! He is right the two tier does already exist, and the Union and the company MUST be creative with the upcoming contract to continue to make all of us prosperous. The Union will step to the plate for it's memebers during negotiations have no doubt about that! But be prepared to see the older hourly money be replaced with newer younger money. Our pension will also be shored up a bit to make the two tier more enticing to accept by the Union! :)

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I had a discussion with the shop steward about the next contract and he was of the opinion the next contract will have a 2 tier pay system “ new hires would be making less at top rate”. I countered that here is no way the Union will ever let that happen, and if it where to happen we would have a huge target on our backs.

But he countered that the Union already has in the past, His example was the two part-time preloaders in our build, that make driver’s rate because they where grandfather in the 80’s .

He is so sure of it, he offer a bet of $100.00. What is your opinion, accept his offer or do you thing there will be a two tier pay system.

I agree if the union goes for that in the contract then all drivers making top rate become targets and fast. Update your resume if they do it we wont be here for the contract after this one.

I for one would never vote a contract with a two tier pay system.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
After 34 years of service at UPS and 31 1/2 as a steward....I have learned never to say "Never." The reason the Union still exists at UPS, is that the workers realize the company signs your check....not the Union!!! He is right the two tier does already exist, and the Union and the company MUST be creative with the upcoming contract to continue to make all of us prosperous. The Union will step to the plate for it's memebers during negotiations have no doubt about that! But be prepared to see the older hourly money be replaced with newer younger money. Our pension will also be shored up a bit to make the two tier more enticing to accept by the Union! :)
I've thought about that too, I can absolutely see that angle being used as a carrot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

= 0 backbone

Say what you will---it matters little to me.

$30/hr plus benefits for a job which requires only a driver's license and HS diploma is nothing to sneeze at yet many of you seem to take it for granted. Your sense of entitlement amuses me.

We have all worked crappy jobs. I worked for minimum wage in a Christmas bulb factory during the summer while going to college. There were people who had worked there for 30-40 years who worked 12 hours a day attaching the metal hangers to the painted bulbs for barely more than minimum wage. Their fingers were heavily taped from all of the cuts they had sustained over the years. This was the text book definition of a dead end job.

We had a driver bang in Friday which left us short staffed. The PDS called in a 22.3 to run the area, pulled the NDA (which he gave to an air driver) and a 10-20 stop residential split (which he gave to me) which brought the area just under 8 hours. I sent an ODS to the OMS asking her to tell the driver I would be at a dropbox stop at 1730 if he wanted to meet me, dump his pickups and finish the area and she told me that 22.3 was OK. He punched out before me. The area was run efficiently, the customers were taken care of and the pickups were completed. Turns out he could have run the residential split and, if he had started on time, ran his own NDA.

My point? The work was done by an employee making $23/hr. He followed EDD and ran the area in trace. The customers were taken care of and the company saved at least $60 on the area.

Lower starting wage ($15/hr), longer progession (5 years) and a lower top out ($25/hr) with the monetary adjusted annually.

bbsam

Staff member
Say what you will---it matters little to me.

$30/hr plus benefits for a job which requires only a driver's license and HS diploma is nothing to sneeze at yet many of you seem to take it for granted. Your sense of entitlement amuses me.

We have all worked crappy jobs. I worked for minimum wage in a Christmas bulb factory during the summer while going to college. There were people who had worked there for 30-40 years who worked 12 hours a day attaching the metal hangers to the painted bulbs for barely more than minimum wage. Their fingers were heavily taped from all of the cuts they had sustained over the years. This was the text book definition of a dead end job.

We had a driver bang in Friday which left us short staffed. The PDS called in a 22.3 to run the area, pulled the NDA (which he gave to an air driver) and a 10-20 stop residential split (which he gave to me) which brought the area just under 8 hours. I sent an ODS to the OMS asking her to tell the driver I would be at a dropbox stop at 1730 if he wanted to meet me, dump his pickups and finish the area and she told me that 22.3 was OK. He punched out before me. The area was run efficiently, the customers were taken care of and the pickups were completed. Turns out he could have run the residential split and, if he had started on time, ran his own NDA.

My point? The work was done by an employee making $23/hr. He followed EDD and ran the area in trace. The customers were taken care of and the company saved at least $60 on the area.

Lower starting wage ($15/hr), longer progession (5 years) and a lower top out ($25/hr) with the monetary adjusted annually.

Sounds like you sent this post from the corner of "Logic" and "Economics".

Big Babooba

Those PT making driver pay are because they have been with the company for ever there is not top rate for PTimers. IF you where a Pt timer for 30 years and started working in the 80's you would be making driver rate to and not because your grandfathered in. IF you stay PT for your entire time with UPS you will get raises every year so your pay will keep going up. As a PT timer your pay is based on the amount of time your have been with the company.

A two tier pay rate for FT driver would be a hard sell especially when the company is make billions of dollars a year.

You are so wrong. At one time a part timer was making the drivers rate of pay after 4 months in the progression scale. After the 1976 contract part timers were making about $.35 less than a driver after 4 months in the progression scale. In the early 80s the two tier part time pay schedule came into effect. The full rate part timers were red circled (which basically put a target on our backs).

Part timers who attempted to qualify for a driving job always were disqualified on their 29th day because if they worked 30 days, they gained seniority. It seemed funny that after the two tier pay rate was introduced, part timers who attempted to go full time suddenly were making seniority! Coincidence? NO! Some were even granted extensions to their probation period because "they were almost there" and made seniority.

Even if a part timer with 30 years in is making driver's rate, it took them 30 years to get it. It used to take them 4 months. 30 years vs 4 months....who won?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I was told the same thing about the two part timers in my building that they're red circle in. Isn't ironic that UPS uses the term Red Circle for employees that are under a old contract. There is one bright side the 2 part timers they’re still working and they have been red circle for a long time.

brownman15

Well the Illinois contract which is separate from the rest of the country already has a tiered pay scale new hires top out at $25 I think. I do believe they will try to pass it and I don't think it will pass and it shouldn't for the reason you said all of us that are over 5 years from retirement it will put a huge target on our back.
not true we do not have a 2 tier system here in illinois

HULKAMANIA

Upstate are you sure you are a driver? Or are you in management? Lol, I just find it odd that you are so willing to throw your "younger brothers and sisters" under the bus after your day in the sunshine is over with.

Heres an idea,,,lets take a poll how many drivers would be willing to take a $10 an hour deduction in pay? Upstate I expect you to be the first to sign up. Also a longer pay progression??? Are you serious???? 3 years of going through absolute hell is enough and in my opinion to long!

Heres another idea if UPS is soooo concerned about money going out, LOOK INTO MANAGEMENT! Why is it drivers are the only ones held accountable? At the end of the day what DRIVERS do make the wheels on the company go round and round. So why in the world would you cut their throats first?