2018 Contract leaks

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
It’s not an issue for me. The fact that we fought for OT after 8 and then conceded to after 10 is a huge concession. As for errands on the additional day off? I have a doctor that’s open on Saturday, I have a dentist that’s open on Saturday, I have a chiropractor that’s open on Saturday, I have a massage therapist that’s open on Saturday.

So what is the option, use contractors in feeders instead of letting drivers do 4x10 runs? How about the 22.3 guys working 4x9 and a 4...should those jobs be done away with because they don't get OT after 8? I can easily make $80k on a 4x10 schedule... personally, I think having 100 people making $80k is better than 80 people making $100k.

We have a lot of runs that are 4 days because most weeks you can't get 5 days in under your 60 DOT hours. Other 4x10 runs are because a hub that may need 10 runs to move trailers most of the week only needs 7 on other d

It seems like there would be support for a position that could help more drivers make it to retirement without having to come on these forums and ask for support or advice.

It amazes me how much people on here whine and say UPS drivers shouldn't have to give up their Saturday for a greedy company. Then the 4x10 option is brought up for package and a person said they don't need a day off during the week because they can go see 3 named professions with 7+ years of schooling each who are working a Saturday. Does that not sound totally hypocritical?

Old timers on here love to tell us younger drivers how we need to put our time in to get a better job. Reality is now runs and schedules are changing and older drivers may not have the seniority to get what they want, so some are complaining.

Last edited:
So what is the option, use contractors in feeders instead of letting drivers do 4x10 runs? How about the 22.3 guys working 4x9 and a 4...should those jobs be done away with because they don't get OT after 8? I can easily make $80k on a 4x10 schedule... personally, I think having 100 people making $80k is better than 80 people making $100k.

We have a lot of runs that are 4 days because most weeks you can't get 5 days in under your 60 DOT hours. Other 4x10 runs are because a hub that may need 10 runs to move trailers most of the week only needs 7 on other days.

It seems like there would be support for a position that could help more drivers make it to retirement without having to come on these forums and ask for support or advice.

It amazes me how much people on here whine and say UPS drivers shouldn't have to give up their Saturday for a greedy company. Then the 4x10 option is brought up for package and a person said they don't need a day off during the week because they can go see 3 named professions with 7+ years of schooling each who are working a Saturday. Does that not sound totally hypocritical?

Old timers on here love to tell us younger drivers how we need to put our time in to get a better job. Reality is that now runs and schedules are changing and older drivers may not have the seniority to get what they want, so some are complaining.
You forget about the benefits. That's why they have 80 people making a 100k and not 100 people making 80k

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
You forget about the benefits. That's why they have 80 people making a 100k and not 100 people making 80k

In feeders it's the opposite. We have quite a few more people working because of a 4x10 schedule.

Adding some 4x10 into package would probably do the same thing.

In feeders it's the opposite. We have quite a few more people working because of a 4x10 schedule.

Adding some 4x10 into package would probably do the same thing.
I'm just saying it's a lot more expensive to have extra employees. Someone with enough time in to get maximum vacation , option days and paid holidays. I'd around 15k a year not counting pension and health care

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I'm just saying it's a lot more expensive to have extra employees. Someone with enough time in to get maximum vacation , option days and paid holidays. I'd around 15k a year not counting pension and health care

I'm not disagreeing with the fact is more costly. I'm just saying as hourly employee I don't see how we can be angry over the fact they want to go to a 4 by 10 schedule, if that happens. Especially since the language is already in the contract.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

We have a lot of runs that are 4 days because most weeks you can't get 5 days in under your 60 DOT hours. Other 4x10 runs are because a hub that may need 10 runs to move trailers most of the week only needs 7 on other d

Old timers on here love to tell us younger drivers how we need to put our time in to get a better job. Reality is now runs and schedules are changing and older drivers may not have the seniority to get what they want, so some are complaining.
The “option” is to receive what is bargained. OT after 8! I’m not saying that doing 4 10’s is out of the realm. I’m saying, I want 2 hours over overtime after the first 8. The other option is to just eat crap and get what they give you.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The “option” is to receive what is bargained. OT after 8! I’m not saying that doing 4 10’s is out of the realm. I’m saying, I want 2 hours over overtime after the first 8. The other option is to just eat crap and get what they give you.

We have tons of feeder runs who don't get OT until over 10 hours. Do you think package is special and the company would make that concession after years of feeder runs not getting that pay?

wide load

We have tons of feeder runs who don't get OT until over 10 hours. Do you think package is special and the company would make that concession after years of feeder runs not getting that pay?
So it makes it ok and acceptable? And yes, package is special. Thanks for conceding to the will of the employer. What should I do with my extra 35k a year?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
So it makes it ok and acceptable? And yes, package is special. Thanks for conceding to the will of the employer. What should I do with my extra 35k a year?

How can you concede something you've never had? You had over time after 8 hours on a 5 day work schedule. At some point they put 4x10 language in the master...those schedules are being run at every decent size building in the country right now with no OT after 8 hours. Take a look in your feeder department and let me know what you see.

As far as $35k I'm not sure how you get that. On a 4x10 schedule the most you could gain is 1 hour per day of OT pay x 4 days worked per week x 52 and that's not accurate because of vacation. So 208 hours x $35 an hour is $7280.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
What’d ya do[/QUOTE]
Mail carriers opt IN for overtime.

My mail carrier told me they are basically salary. Her time study says how many hours she is paid for each day and that number is the same whether it's light or heavy.

She said some days she fits everything into one car and other days she might make 3 trips to finish her route. Either way she makes the exact same amount.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Letter carriers are NOT salary.

They are not salary but in essence it's the same thing since it's "fixed compensation". They are paid so many hours per day for their route whether it takes them 6 hours or 11 hours, hence the fixed compensation reference that is a major part of the word salary's definition.

The only way their compensation changes is to have a new time study or sign up for overtime or extra work, per my mail carrier.

wide load

How can you concede something you've never had? You had over time after 8 hours on a 5 day work schedule. At some point they put 4x10 language in the master...those schedules are being run at every decent size building in the country right now with no OT after 8 hours. Take a look in your feeder department and let me know what you see.

As far as $35k I'm not sure how you get that. On a 4x10 schedule the most you could gain is 1 hour per day of OT pay x 4 days worked per week x 52 and that's not accurate because of vacation. So 208 hours x $35 an hour is $7280.
I made 107k last year. Multiply your 4 10’s. Hell, I can work 4 10’s right now and call out sick on Friday. My paycheck will still be more. I could care less about other buildings. 4 10’s is a concession. What’s next, 3 13.33’s?

Rack em

Made the Podium

Most state laws require employers to pay OT after 8. State law would trump a horribly negotiated 4x10 schedule with no OT.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I made 107k last year. Multiply your 4 10’s. Hell, I can work 4 10’s right now and call out sick on Friday. My paycheck will still be more. I could care less about other buildings. 4 10’s is a concession. What’s next, 3 13.33’s?

How is the possibility of creating more full-time jobs and potentially funding the pension at a higher rate a concession?

It might adversely impact OT whores and giuys who milk the clock on a daily basis, but from what is written on this forum about over dispatching and no family life it would seem many drivers would be for that schedule.

If this is such a big deal you may want to have some guys in your feeder department file ASAP. I don't have any union connections but I'm guessing there is already a LOA somewhere in the contract covering this topic.