2022 step increase

Aquaman

You’re correct, there aren’t secret meetings between higher ups and ops managers. The guy who said that is clueless. Ops managers about the last to know about changes.
I never said anything about “secret” meetings lol. I’m saying things are spoken about in meetings and managers are told not to say anything. I have first hand knowledge from my own group of managers that this happens all the time.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I never said anything about “secret” meetings lol. I’m saying things are spoken about in meetings and managers are told not to say anything. I have first hand knowledge from my own group of managers that this happens all the time.
And I said ops managers are about the last ones to find out about anything. Higher ups don’t tell them anything unless they absolutely have to, and not until they have to.

Directors (and higher) don’t tell ops managers anything unless they want it blabbed.

yadig

You’re correct, there aren’t secret meetings between higher ups and ops managers. The guy who said that is clueless. Ops managers about the last to know about changes.
I think they are gonna have a big surprise jiu
And I said ops managers are about the last ones to find out about anything. Higher ups don’t tell them anything unless they absolutely have to, and not until they have to.

Directors (and higher) don’t tell ops managers anything unless they want it blabbed.
We’re are you on the totem pole? A blabber or higher up?

Aquaman

As it should be blabbed. Hourly employees are the company. This isn’t Merrill Lynch. We’re not in the salary business. This isn’t NASA. This is an hourly delivery company. Appreciating employees should be number 1 on the list. Salaried employees get a bonus based on MY work. Not because you went over a gap report with me. Or because you switched a few stops around when I called in sick. Or kept spending within a budget. It’s because I efficiently run a pickup/delivery route. That’s it. That’s what generates 100% of all income for this company. It generates 100% of a managers salary check. This company forgot that a long time ago. And because of that we now compete with the likes of Target and Starbucks instead of UPS. When something like response goes into affect, hourlies should know. My station had no clue what was going on. With Network 2.0 the details should be transparent with hourlies. To essentially hide a massive change to an hourlies workday is going to make people quit. They’d rather lie to you and retain you until you quit than be honest, earn your respect, and pay you enough to stay.

zeev

Driver retention is the biggest problem in the transport business , I was at the Louisville truck show and companies were begging for drivers. Waste management told me I could make 110k a year with benefits and all I needed was a CDL B. Couriers need to accept the fact that pay and benefits will continue to decrease to the level of Amazon, hoping that this year will be different in the step program is dysfunctional.

Star B

White Lightening
They’d rather lie to you and retain you until you quit than be honest, earn your respect, and pay you enough to stay.
Why would they care? The newer people get in, the less they pay and the less legacy costs there are on the balance sheet because the guy with the pension quit and they dont have to contribute to it anymore. They see Amazon succeeding with their DSP program and how :censored2:ty they treat their employees and they wonder "How can we match them?"

UPS would do the same damn thing if they didn't have the union.

yadig

Why would they care? The newer people get in, the less they pay and the less legacy costs there are on the balance sheet because the guy with the pension quit and they dont have to contribute to it anymore. They see Amazon succeeding with their DSP program and how :censored2:ty they treat their employees and they wonder "How can we match them?"

UPS would do the same damn thing if they didn't have the union.
Would a union help FedEx or hurt it?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
As it should be blabbed. Hourly employees are the company. This isn’t Merrill Lynch. We’re not in the salary business. This isn’t NASA. This is an hourly delivery company. Appreciating employees should be number 1 on the list. Salaried employees get a bonus based on MY work. Not because you went over a gap report with me. Or because you switched a few stops around when I called in sick. Or kept spending within a budget. It’s because I efficiently run a pickup/delivery route. That’s it. That’s what generates 100% of all income for this company. It generates 100% of a managers salary check. This company forgot that a long time ago. And because of that we now compete with the likes of Target and Starbucks instead of UPS. When something like response goes into affect, hourlies should know. My station had no clue what was going on. With Network 2.0 the details should be transparent with hourlies. To essentially hide a massive change to an hourlies workday is going to make people quit. They’d rather lie to you and retain you until you quit than be honest, earn your respect, and pay you enough to stay.
I don’t know what you’re smoking but there isn’t a large company on the face of the earth that tells everyone every detail about every plan from the moment of inception forward. Doesn’t matter how well or poorly the news is expected to be perceived, no one does it.

As for the rest, it sounds like the usual “I run a route” speech that’s become rhe stock answer to everything these days.

Maui

Driver retention is the biggest problem in the transport business , I was at the Louisville truck show and companies were begging for drivers. Waste management told me I could make 110k a year with benefits and all I needed was a CDL B. Couriers need to accept the fact that pay and benefits will continue to decrease to the level of Amazon, hoping that this year will be different in the step program is dysfunctional.
It's disgusting and they work very long hours for it.

Maui

Most directors don't even know the details of network 2.0. Like most businesses things operate on a need to know basis. What difference does it make to someone in Austin, TX what's gonna happen in Pellston, MI?

What if it mostly changes nothing day to day for most employees? That is the most likely outcome.

Aquaman

I don’t know what you’re smoking but there isn’t a large company on the face of the earth that tells everyone every detail about every plan from the moment of inception forward. Doesn’t matter how well or poorly the news is expected to be perceived, no one does it.

As for the rest, it sounds like the usual “I run a route” speech that’s become rhe stock answer to everything these days.
There’a quite a difference between what you’re saying and what FedEx does. Which is keep everyone in the dark until the light turns on and we’re all blinded by confusion. And ya I run a route. It’s not rocket science. I’m not doing surgery. But I’m the only product this company sells. So… uhh… I’m kind of important. Managers do not generate revenue. Ramp Agents generate nothing. Engineers, nope. Managing Directors? Nope. Chief Diversity Officers? Nope. Presidents & CEO’s… nope. This company generates revenue when I pick up a box and leave it on a porch. Nothing else makes a single dollar. That’s just reality. This company should emphasize drivers as their most important job. The way UPS does. But I’ve accepted this place is K-Mart where UPS is Wal-Mart. But a guy can dream.

Last edited:

Slowturtle

Would a union help FedEx or hurt it?
Yes Help imo
I used to think not however the company has forgotten the employee either unintentionally or more likely intentionally… used to worry we’d lose something what’s left to lose? The pay is just par.. spouse can’t even be on your insurance “if” they are able to get their own either way cost you more… equipment issues vehicle issues all the while they can afford 5 BILLION dollars in a stock purchasing plan.. that doesn’t even build equity… share price could still be shorted to the ground.. Wall Street sets the price based on earnings that’s it… less shares just increases share price but does nothing for the company itself… just look at ups would a Union help us? Damn straight however it maybe too late depending on what they have planned rumors are abounding of combining ground and express..

Slowturtle

Oh and they took the pension away… if the stock market only goes sideways or worse down for the next 10 or 20 years due to the Fed pulling money outta the market.. stalling the market with higher interest rates and stagflation then new hires with their 401k’s will zippo return… does FedEx care chirp chirp…(crickets)

Aquaman

Yes Help imo
I used to think not however the company has forgotten the employee either unintentionally or more likely intentionally… used to worry we’d lose something what’s left to lose? The pay is just par.. spouse can’t even be on your insurance “if” they are able to get their own either way cost you more… equipment issues vehicle issues all the while they can afford 5 BILLION dollars in a stock purchasing plan.. that doesn’t even build equity… share price could still be shorted to the ground.. Wall Street sets the price based on earnings that’s it… less shares just increases share price but does nothing for the company itself… just look at ups would a Union help us? Damn straight however it maybe too late depending on what they have planned rumors are abounding of combining ground and express..
Unions force a company to grow WITH the employees. Something no company wants to do. FedEx grew & left the employees behind. They’re completely free to think up as many ridiculous ideas for growth as they want, without ever considering the workforce. A union would save this place from itself.

Star B

White Lightening
A union would save this place from itself.
Only if the union doesn't get stupid itself, like everything, it can hinder progress. Unions aren't a silver bullet that saves everything, but they are something that can help balance out the playfield.

I mean, for example, UPS got ESTAR-style routing way before we did. Why is that? Because they needed to get as much productivity out of their drivers because they are more costly.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Only if the union doesn't get stupid itself, like everything, it can hinder progress. Unions aren't a silver bullet that saves everything, but they are something that can help balance out the playfield.

I mean, for example, UPS got ESTAR-style routing way before we did. Why is that? Because they needed to get as much productivity out of their drivers because they are more costly.
FedEx is doing it so they can have a constant turnover with lower wages. Kind of the exact opposite of UPS.

btrlov

I dont think it would be smart not to give a standard step raise. Sure there might be recession/ rate hike related layoffs; which may give the company leverage in recruitment. However, the nature of the work combined with this new generation culture of fast money(crypto, scams, stealing, youtube, side hustles) fedex will accelerate the downward spiral of work quality if its cheap with its labor force. The really have no moral footing either, they have already skipped 2 years of step raises. Imagine the work decline with employees getting a 2% raise with 9% inflation... A 1 step increase is reasonable. Im suprised there hasnt been a online petition to prempt the decsion makers from playing the "economic challenges" game.

yadig

It seems FedEx is in a pickle. They hv ground contractors complaining bout pay and their employees are really getting screwed. We’ve made moving boxes way too complicated! I know Raj isn’t gonna make the contractors and their employees happy! Grounds getting too many people getting into the pie, there’s only so many slices to go around. FedEx needs to consolidate and cut out the middle man/contractors. It’s just my opinion and I believe that they will ultimately go full on contractor model. If that does happen I’m outta here and the company will begin taking on water.

Star B

White Lightening
FedEx is doing it so they can have a constant turnover with lower wages. Kind of the exact opposite of UPS.
Did you catch what I said earlier? UPS would be doing the SAME DAMN THING that FX/Amzn are doing if it wasn't for the union.

I mean, it's right here, like, three posts above it.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Did you catch what I said earlier? UPS would be doing the SAME DAMN THING that FX/Amzn are doing if it wasn't for the union.

I mean, it's right here, like, three posts above it.

Let me explain.
NO.
UPS did it to get MORE productivity out of their drivers because as YOU said to afford the union wages.
FedEx is doing it without a union NOW so as to pay their workers LESS because they see it as the way to deal with low wage constant turnover employees.
Two vastly different scenarios.