2023 Teamster Contract Negotiation - Partner Edition

FonzieG

BrownOil Salesman
It looks like they're gonna go at it old-school, mob vs corporate style. How much of a sh:censored3:t show are we expecting? Any Partners around from the time of the last strike? How bad was it? Will it be different today?
Me personally, I'm sick of hearing boomer business owners say 'We are FedEx because back in '97 when our business needed you....' I can only imagine the cry-me-a-river stories I'm gonna hear from customers if things go down the crapper again.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
It looks like they're gonna go at it old-school, mob vs corporate style. How much of a sh:censored3:t show are we expecting? Any Partners around from the time of the last strike? How bad was it? Will it be different today?
Me personally, I'm sick of hearing boomer business owners say 'We are FedEx because back in '97 when our business needed you....' I can only imagine the cry-me-a-river stories I'm gonna hear from customers if things go down the crapper again.

Expecting a horse head in your 🛌...🐴 ?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Better order your browns now

Thebrownblob

UPS said last best and final offer and it wasn’t any of those things. Had a few days where it got a little sketchy on the Strikeline but mostly calm. Strikeline was full every day, a few pilots walked the line with us as well.

Last edited:

DELACROIX

I will try to answer your question with the understanding that I am a hourly.

There are probably no management left that participated in the 97 strike that could answer your question, most of them retired, took the buyouts or quit by now. We still have a handful off hourlies that walked back in 97, not many of them left either.

It was a given that the strike would not last past 3 weeks, everybody knew it. That strike was the company’s fault..they misjudged everything in order to get out of their pension obligations. Carey played them like a fiddle.

There is no reason now for the Company to force a work stoppage with the Central bailout almost settled. O’Brien has already stated that he will not negotiate any earlier than 5 months before the contract expires, it will be on the company’s negotiating committees to present a fair and reasonable deal from the start. They know the issues that O’Brien ran on, no excuse for another disaster like the 97 strike.

I will try to answer your question with the understanding that I am a hourly.

There are probably no management left that participated in the 97 strike that could answer your question, most of them retired, took the buyouts or quit by now. We still have a handful off hourlies that walked back in 97, not many of them left either.

It was a given that the strike would not last past 3 weeks, everybody knew it. That strike was the company’s fault..they misjudged everything in order to get out of their pension obligations. Carey played them like a fiddle.

There is no reason now for the Company to force a work stoppage with the Central bailout almost settled. O’Brien has already stated that he will not negotiate any earlier than 5 months before the contract expires, it will be on the company’s negotiating committees to present a fair and reasonable deal from the start. They know the issues that O’Brien ran on, no excuse for another disaster like the 97 strike.
I do not understand why he does not want to negotiate earlier

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
UPS said last best and final offer and it wasn’t any of those things. Had a few days where it got a little sketchy on the Strikeline but mostly calm. Strikeline was full every day, a few pilots walked the line with us as well.
Strikeline full? Maybe first few days, after that guys were out looking for work.

If the company can stomach holding out, they can starve out the union. Hard to strike when you are losing everything. So many drivers are living paycheck to paycheck.

DELACROIX

I do not understand why he does not want to negotiate earlier

I am guessing that O ‘Brien knows that he can work out a deal before the strike deadlines..I imagine that he will also be asking for a strike vote if his initial demands are not met from the start.

He has been through these before, he knows the game. I know this that it will not be the Hoffa negotiations were the rank and file were locked out of any input or information on what was going on behind the closed doors with the final results already in place.

He will do it the “Carey” way and will not handshake on any agreement if the contract is anywhere concessionary. The final vote will only occur when he is able to present a fair contract to the membership not before then. Hopefully 🙏...

Last edited:
I am guessing that O ‘Brien knows that he can work out a deal before the strike deadlines..I imagine that he will also be asking for a strike vote if his initial demands are not met from the start.

He has been through these before, he knows the game. I know this that it will not be the Hoffa negotiations were the rank and file were locked out of any input or information on what was going on behind the closed doors with the final results already in place.

It will do it the “Carey” way and will not handshake on any agreement if the contract is anywhere concessionary. The final vote will only occur when he is able to present a fair contract to the membership not before then. Hopefully 🙏...
I'm hoping it doesn't come down to strike for the younger guys sake

Thebrownblob

Strikeline full? Maybe first few days, after that guys were out looking for work.

If the company can stomach holding out, they can starve out the union. Hard to strike when you are losing everything. So many drivers are living paycheck to paycheck.
LOL our strike line was completely full every day a lot of old veterans were still there and they were itching for a fight. And I’m pretty sure no one thought it was going to go much more than two weeks. It was actually an amazing time I remember the union hall was overflowing on the day of the strike vote. I wonder if it would be that way this time? The international has some money and my local also has a Strike fund so we won’t be getting just $55 with union dues taken out this time.

Thebrownblob

Every generation should see one, just
Not even close at all
Back then UPS maybe had a 50% then FedEx maybe a little bit less
Amazon is worth almost 10 times what UPS is right now, and I got plenty of money to burn and they are afraid to use it
I would agree that it’s a different time but we cannot be afraid to go on strike if we have to, it depends on if the company decides to slap us in the face. Anything good and worth having is worth fighting for. Having said that I hope we don’t have to.

I would agree that it’s a different time but we cannot be afraid to go on strike if we have to, it depends on if the company decides to slap us in the face. Anything good and worth having is worth fighting for. Having said that I hope we don’t have to.
I not saying I'm going to not going strike, just hoping it doesn't come down to that.

But after why we was treated during the pandemic and if they think that didn't make a PVD thing and permanent job that's not going to happen.

They can take care of us a little bit better and still make record profits

542thruNthru

I think it's going to come down to a few things but one very important one will be the strike vote.

22%... If we can't significantly raise that number than I think UPS calls our hand and we find out real quick how united we are.

DELACROIX

LOL our strike line was completely full every day a lot of old veterans were still there and they were itching for a fight. And I’m pretty sure no one thought it was going to go much more than two weeks. It was actually an amazing time I remember the union hall was overflowing on the day of the strike vote. I wonder if it would be that way this time? The international has some money and my local also has a Strike fund so we won’t be getting just $55 with union dues taken out this time.

I remember the local Kroger store dropping off a ton of bread products at the Union Hall so we wouldn’t starve. Now the weekly strike fund is up to 5 or 6 times your monthly union dues from day one, it will not be the same as it was in “97” no one expected that the international would actually call one. In our building we had two cross for the first day only, none afterwards, a mechanic got physically removed from the building by his BA. Everybody on the picket line was in good spirits, a lot of us were happy, we had some axes to grind...🪓

We are better prepared for one today if it happens there is no excuse for our membership not to start saving for a work stoppage just in case, we have a whole year so be smart and follow this contract and vote accordingly.