22/3 Employees Save Labor Costs for UPS

IDoLessWorkThanMost

FAVERFAN, every Local implimented the Article 22.3 language differently. Some followed the contract's intent, others didn't. Your local apparently reserved the 22.3 jobs for part-timers as the contract and original negotiators intended. Believe me, it's not like that everywhere.

Also, normally one would assume that higher-seniority part-timers would be the successful bidders on the 22.3 jobs. You seem to say that low seniority part-timers got the jobs in your hub. that seems very odd, no matter how your local implimented the 22.3 proceedures. Although maybe, since you are a hub, part-timers get lots of double shifts and single-shift overtime. Maybe the high-seniority part-timers didn't bid on the 22.3 jobs.

In my building, the 22.3 jobs originally went to part-timers, but almost half the jobs were taken by full-time drivers a couple of years later.

Back in 2000 when the first wave of 22.3 jobs were posted, I heard second hand that in nearby Local 25, (which has four UPS buildings, including the Chelmsford Ma. Hub,) that the 22.3 jobs were originally bid on by part-timers, but then they all removed their names when they were told that the jobs would be going to full-timer drivers. Can anyone from Local 25 confirm or expand on this?

I can get you the info on Chelmsford. I never heard of such a thing, but it's not impossible. My bid this spring was Chema.

One real downfall was that at the first building I was working at (local 25) 3-7 years ago, NONE of the Chema jobs were being posted there; so initially IMO I think those first waves of 22.3 jobs were a bit under wraps so to speak, at least in certain centers.

Myself and more than a few seniority part-timers then were not happy about missing brand spanking new 22.3 jobs that we had a right to bid on that weren't posted and subsequently bid by newer hires. This was 03-05

Babagounj

Strength through joy
FAVERFAN,

Back in 2000 when the first wave of 22.3 jobs were posted, I heard second hand that in nearby Local 25, (which has four UPS buildings, including the Chelmsford Ma. Hub,) that the 22.3 jobs were originally bid on by part-timers, but then they all removed their names when they were told that the jobs would be going to full-timer drivers. Can anyone from Local 25 confirm or expand on this?

Total garbage.
All year one combos were taken by p/t .( there was that little thing about backpay included with going friend/t ).
I know for a fact that only two combos went to friend/t drivers in 2002, but they were existing year one jobs, not any new postings.
Since then very few friend/t drivers have taken combos, some for a easier workload, but all have to live with the reduced pay.

FAVREFAN

Total garbage.
All year one combos were taken by p/t .( there was that little thing about backpay included with going friend/t ).
I know for a fact that only two combos went to friend/t drivers in 2002, but they were existing year one jobs, not any new postings.
Since then very few friend/t drivers have taken combos, some for a easier workload, but all have to live with the reduced pay.
Thanks for getting my back on this.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, those "exceptions" I listed are a lot more common than you think. And there are others I didn't list. The whole 22.3 process is out of control. After we voted on it in 1997, they changed the rules and made it up as they went along.

Take my specific case as just one screwy example. Part of my 22.3 job involves yard shifting. The contract has stated all along that no part-timer shall drive vehicles (except in an emergency, or to and from the carwash tunnel.) So that work really shouldn't be eligible for combination in the first place. (Even though all yard shifting has been done by myself and several other part-timers for many years.) In addition, the contract says all feeder work should be paid at feeder rate. So really UPS is saving money by paying me 22.3 wages instead of the higher feeder wages.

Your example would not exist in my district or any ajoining districts that I am aware of. We have no part time shifters and would not have any due to that being classified feeder work. The carwash jobs here have no "positioners" no such language for a "positioner". Your local was apparently a little more generous with the feeder language. I'm surprised your local agreed to any combos that allowed feeder work as part of it. So while your exceptions may be correct I've seen hundreds of combos created over the years which were cost increases not savings.

Add to that point the fact that most combo jobs do not fit well into existing shifts and you have even more of a cost to the business creating these jobs and the additional part time jobs we keep to cover the gaps in the combo jobs.

tieguy

Banned
Total garbage.

same thing here. All newly created combo jobs went to part timers. Since then some friend/t drivers have taken combos to avoid the strains of the delivery job. However the overwhelming number of openings continue to be steps up for part timers.

Jon reading the responses sounds like most jobs are being filled by part timers. Maybe you can set up a poll and get a better idea of how the majority rules on this one?

tieguy

Banned
:knockedout:I also have to say that this no overtime issue is REALLY affecting my pension contributions!!!!

You know thats an interesting angle I had not thought of maybe jon can elaborate on. The creation of combo jobs basically took pension money going into a ups managed plan and moved it into the teamster plans. Part time pension money managed by the ups plan. full time managed by the various teamster plans. that should have been a nice little boost for all those plans yet those plans lost money during all those years combo jobs were created.

steamroll

your union does not want you working overtime. They want the higher dollar fulltimer getting the OT.

combo jobs are not a cost savings for ups because we combined two cheaper part time jobs to create the combo job.
so basically it's a full time with part time wages.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

so basically it's a full time with part time wages.

For the first 2 or 3 years; Or if it's an inside/outside air driver combo. Those pay a part-time inside wage for 4 hours, which may (or may not) be lower depending how many years seniority. Inside top rate and FT air driver rate is 22.82

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
For the first 2 or 3 years; Or if it's an inside/outside air driver combo. Those pay a part-time inside wage for 4 hours, which may (or may not) be lower depending how many years seniority. Inside top rate and FT air driver rate is 22.82

I was told that they can keep an inside/outside combo person for more than 4 hours while working inside. is there anything in the contract that states the work must be 4hrs inside? thanks

yuhjnm

yuhjnm
In my building unless the air comes in late its "8 and escape" no overtime period the supervisors will take out the air out and send all air drivers home they say "I have air and ground for those drivers if i send you its two meets" if you deliver it you will be out to late (but under 12)... air drivers have file grievance but they still only give us only 8 hours my hub has 8 22.3 and all of us are fed up with it... but seem to get no where with it.. all they have done is to some 22.3 drivers go home at 6 1/2 - 7 hours and you get guarantee 8 pay or you can stay but punch out at 8 hours and we will take out the work... and yes they take a diad with them too.. it seems point less to fight anymore about it.. union says will just keep filing grievance

mva1985

First of all (as you may know but omitted), part-timers are guaranteed 3.5 hours pay , not necessarily 3.5 hours work. Yes, a lower seniorty person could be laid off for teh day. You can be sent home before 3.5 as long as the both parties understand that he/she will be paid for 3.5.

Secondly, what the author is saying ( in my judgement) is that he/she is being denied work/ OT, while a part-time employee is over 5 hours on OT doing the air run. In that case it's seniority that decides who gets the extra work, PT/FT regardless.

The part-timer can also be sent home before their 3.5 hours and not get paid as long as they agree to take an actual.

And it is true that if both parties are on over time that seniority prevails. But if the full-timer has their 8 hours in and the part-timer is not on overtime then the company can work straight time first.