22.4 Is Driving Only

Imchar1

A Steward confirmed to me through BA that 22.4 drivers will not be inside at all. They will be used as drivers only. So why the 2 tier pay scale when there will be no difference in job description and Whereas weekends were premium pay days why would we give that up and make lower pay people work weekends?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
A Steward confirmed to me through BA that 22.4 drivers will not be inside at all. They will be used as drivers only. So why the 2 tier pay scale when there will be no difference in job description and Whereas weekends were premium pay days why would we give that up and make lower pay people work weekends?
Too late to complain about conspiracy theories. We've already gone over all this. Just vote no.

Imchar1

Still say that BA is full of it, management will use 22.4 however is convenient, and best suits them. To say they are all strictly going to be driving is foolish given the language.
Would you say any part time that signs up for 22.4 should be able to keep their current part time job?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
People should be clear on what they are voting on. Some undecided might see that and vote no.
Posting hearsay isn't factual. In some buildings they might only drive. In other buildings that are hurting for part timers they may actually be used like combos.

Box Ox

Not what the contract says. Sounds like more bs

What the Contract says allows the Company to sell the new 22.4 position as necessary for greater flexibility in a changing business environment. And yes, to also use as preloaders if they want to.

But driving-only 22.4s would be no surprise. Allows the Company to minimize costs in the most expensive portion of its delivery operation. Fewer or no hours on a sort means more hours available to blow out 22.4 routes and minimize RPCD volume.

Mooseknuckle

What the Contract says allows the Company to sell the new 22.4 position as necessary for greater flexibility in a changing business environment. And yes, to also use as preloaders if they want to.

But driving-only 22.4s would be no surprise. Allows the Company to minimize costs in the most expensive portion of its delivery operation. Fewer or no hours on a sort means more hours available to blow out 22.4 routes and minimize RPCD volume.
In the southwest it's does say that they will work inside by exception only. Unless you're in a rural area and they start Saturday and Sunday it is extremely unlikely they will ever work inside.

Mooseknuckle

I might even be willing to accept some of the language if they were going to work inside. Like, work three 8 hours days inside then, drive weekends. The company would never go for that. That would be like adding a lot of 22.3 jobs and letting them drive weekends.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Yes, the TA states 22.4s can work inside....buuuut, why in the hell would they use 22.4s for inside work at all? 22.4s used to undercut the RPCD position makes way more sense than paying higher wages to a 22.4 to do inside work. Simply hire a new guy at $13/hr to do that work.

Now if the 22.4 language had something guaranteeing a 22.4 will do 4 hours inside, then 4-6 hours on road, perhaps the pay differential would be justified. But alas, there is no such language, so you can be guaranteed that UPS will exploit the 22.4 position to the fullest! Nothing more than a 2nd class driver....pure BS. No thanks!

Indecisi0n

Wrong

542thruNthru

tenor-20.gif

Time for change

You people act like there are no bubbles, what happens when the next bubble bursts, we are in a big growth period, things are fickle and fragile. Just wait when volume drops, they will work inside. And many centers they will work inside before the bubble busts. Who is loading and parking trucks on weekends also?

Last edited:

WTFm8

22.4s used to undercut the RPCD position makes way more sense than paying higher wages to a 22.4 to do inside work. Simply hire a new guy at $13/hr to do that work.

You’d think that but I applied/was hired under a posting titled “Full Time Package Driver” and email after applying said $18.75 to start. Was assured by HR it wasn’t a seasona position as they were posted also.

However, every time I’ve helped local sort in the evening when not driving, it’s been paid at the inside rate ($10.35/hr to start, $11 after seniority). Borderline about to come to an end as they continulally harass for me to help preload also and they don’t understand that’d DQ me from driving cause I wouldn’t EVER have a 10hr reset working both.