2nd Qtr Earnings Call, Peak 2014

jeepguy63

Anyone have the chance to listen to the earnings call? I read through the transcript on seeking alpha. While I think we have a great company, and a great network..... It's interesting to hear the big guys talk about peak...
Over and over, they talk about investing.... Like $175m.... First of all, that is peanuts...UPS spends that amount in less than a day. We are going to get killed at peak...too many packages, not enough capacity....so the big guys will POUND operations to cram it through... Hang on. Lots of questions about why we don't raise prices to either get paid for all the spending, or to curb demand. No good answers. Below was an interesting exchange from the call.
As bad as I think it will be, Dave Abney may be the 11th CEO at UPS, but he may also be the 1st one to get fired!

Thoughts?

Arthur Hatfield - Raymond James & Associates
Thank you. Good morning, everyone, and congrats Scott and David. I want to go back to this pricing thing. A lot of questions about pricing today, but it seems like as you've said 2014 is the year of investing for the customer. Is it possible that 2015 is going to be the year of charging the customer? And a couple questions about that as we think about – as I think about some of the comments you've made today, do you feel like you need to have a clean peak season from a service perspective before you can start to move price? And secondly, is a potential peak season surcharge in the offing for this year?

D. Scott Davis - Chairman and CEO
First of all, we definitely are planning and expecting a clean peak season. We’ve invested heavily this year as we’ve talked about at length. We think we’re prepared. We’re working very well with the customers. So we certainly expect a real strong peak season in 2014. As I said, this year is about investing for the customers. And as I mentioned earlier, I don’t think you’ll see the level of OpEx required in 2015 that we saw in 2014. But if e-commerce conditions change again in 2015 to drive more OpEx, I think we’ll have to evaluate everything. Everything is on the table and that could include a surcharge to peak in the future.

Waste Manager

This peak is going to be interesting..already the dogs are sniffing at the door..realizing that the bldg is just not going to be able to handle the volume..and realizing they finally have to do something with it..but here it is,the end of July,and they've just woken up to this fact..and as usual..the ''solution'' to the bldg problem is bandaids...kinda scary when mgmt expresses dismay about a bldg not going to work with even more volume than ever before..more volume than last year...MUCH MORE..which is more money in THEIR pocket...

TxRoadDawg

the disaster was too many fools waiting until the 23rd to order stuff, and Atlanta not preemptively warning people that was a no no despite what amazon promised them

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The disaster last peak was caused by weather. They didn't need to upgrade every building. Peak will be rough but manageable as it always is.
Bullschiitt.

We didn't have a flake of snow, and every driver in my building ran out of hours and brought stops back last peak. We had mechanics pulling pup and rental trailers full of volume out to delivery areas that just sat there undelivered until after Christmas because we did not hire enough drivers.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Bullschiitt.

We didn't have a flake of snow, and every driver in my building ran out of hours and brought stops back last peak. We had mechanics pulling pup and rental trailers full of volume out to delivery areas that just sat there undelivered until after Christmas because we did not hire enough drivers.
you sure we dont work in the same center? we had the same problems

UnconTROLLed

perfection
To blame the weather is asinine, plain and simple. It's akin to blaming a calender for being late with your mortgage.

This peak will unfortunately be another disaster, volume-wise. The buildings cannot handle the volume. Much like last year, the preload will be moving pallets to outside in the yard, into trucks to be loaded. Hopefully the Christmas late-minute fiasco can be somewhat muted, though.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
BTW, the southwest has endured a historical drought for the last few years. So, what's going to happen when mother balances thing out with the El Niño weather pattern projected in the next year or two, during peak?

Anyone have the chance to listen to the earnings call? I read through the transcript on seeking alpha. While I think we have a great company, and a great network..... It's interesting to hear the big guys talk about peak...
Over and over, they talk about investing.... Like $175m.... First of all, that is peanuts...UPS spends that amount in less than a day. We are going to get killed at peak...too many packages, not enough capacity....so the big guys will POUND operations to cram it through... Hang on. Lots of questions about why we don't raise prices to either get paid for all the spending, or to curb demand. No good answers. Below was an interesting exchange from the call.
As bad as I think it will be, Dave Abney may be the 11th CEO at UPS, but he may also be the 1st one to get fired!

Thoughts?

Arthur Hatfield - Raymond James & Associates
Thank you. Good morning, everyone, and congrats Scott and David. I want to go back to this pricing thing. A lot of questions about pricing today, but it seems like as you've said 2014 is the year of investing for the customer. Is it possible that 2015 is going to be the year of charging the customer? And a couple questions about that as we think about – as I think about some of the comments you've made today, do you feel like you need to have a clean peak season from a service perspective before you can start to move price? And secondly, is a potential peak season surcharge in the offing for this year?

D. Scott Davis - Chairman and CEO
First of all, we definitely are planning and expecting a clean peak season. We’ve invested heavily this year as we’ve talked about at length. We think we’re prepared. We’re working very well with the customers. So we certainly expect a real strong peak season in 2014. As I said, this year is about investing for the customers. And as I mentioned earlier, I don’t think you’ll see the level of OpEx required in 2015 that we saw in 2014. But if e-commerce conditions change again in 2015 to drive more OpEx, I think we’ll have to evaluate everything. Everything is on the table and that could include a surcharge to peak in the future.
How about something crazy?
Instead of spending 2 billion a year on dividends.......lets buy some trucks and increase building capacity!

TxRoadDawg

How about something crazy?
Instead of spending 2 billion a year on dividends.......lets buy some trucks and increase building capacity!
Better yet, lets get a plan thats reasonable to execute, WITH upper management that can see past their spreadsheets, and spend a few million on raises for lower management that can actually run these numbers so we finally get rewarded for our efforts

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Better yet, lets get a plan thats reasonable to execute, WITH upper management that can see past their spreadsheets, and spend a few million on raises for lower management that can actually run these numbers so we finally get rewarded for our efforts
Hey, our new CEO to be offered the opportunity to get your name in a drawing for an iPad if you helped him out with an idea to make peak better. What do you expect, to share in the profits your ideas produce or something?

Hey, our new CEO to be offered the opportunity to get your name in a drawing for an iPad if you helped him out with an idea to make peak better. What do you expect, to share in the profits your ideas produce or something?
Lets try something new.
Get us out of the building on time.

Take an extra few days,to train helpers.

Weed out the bad ones and reward the good ones!

Fyi I make over 5 times the rate,of a helper!
Do not give me the stops per hour crap!

How about the cost of package,per hour!

Run it by the real (meaningful) numbers!

By The Book

Bullschiitt.

That right there is poor planning . If they put helpers with each route and still couldn't deliver the packages, sir you are correct. They understaffed your building big time.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Lets try something new.
Get us out of the building on time.

Take an extra few days,to train helpers.

Weed out the bad ones and reward the good ones!

Fyi I make over 5 times the rate,of a helper!
Do not give me the stops per hour crap!

How about the cost of package,per hour!

Run it by the real (meaningful) numbers!
Gonna be fun peak this year.....in my local...seniority PTers can double shift as helpers....over seasonals. Big fat peak paychecks!! And drivers get helpers that don't suck!